What is the sorting schema for 1password mini search results? If not alpha?

Options
jjkotarski
jjkotarski
Community Member

I'm a longtime 1password user (since may 2009, I think). I love your product. Most of the time, you add features before I even know I need them. That's a sign of an amazing product! In this case, it just took me generating a ton of similar logins to make me wonder if 1Password Mini (menu bar not browser extension) could be help me work better by adding or tweaking a feature: sorting.

So, I work for a university. I build lots of websites for lots of clients. Each one gets their own Google account to administer their own analytics. For me, having access to ALL of their logins in 1Password, I always save the login name the same way: "Google: ProgramName". When I open the desktop app on OSX, I see a list of those logins in alpha order after I search "Google". Great! If 1Password is open and I conduct the same search in 1Password Mini from my menu bar, the results also appear in alpha order -- though it only shows the top five hits (and "show 14 more items" underneath, requiring another click for a full reveal). Great!

HOWEVER, if my 1Password desktop app is closed and locked and I go to the menu bar and type my master password into Mini, then type "Google," the results do not appear in alpha order. Favorites are still (sometimes) at the top but the rest appear in an order I cannot comprehend. Mini does not appear to be sorting based on most-often used or most/least recently created. In fact, I can't figure out how they are sorting at all!

Anyhow, it's not a big deal. I just wonder if you might add a sorting feature to the settings in Mini or otherwise make the order these like-logins appear in to be consistent and easily understood. When I have 19 Google logins appearing in a (seemingly) jumbled order, it takes a little extra time to find what I'm looking for when it could just be sorting in a logical manner.

Thanks for listening. And thank you for 1Password -- it's a pleasure to work with!

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.8.90
OS Version: OSX 10.11.6
Sync Type: DropBox
Referrer: forum-search:1password mini search results alpha order

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jjkotarski,

Thank you so much for being a longtime 1Password user - I'm glad you enjoy it so much! Our developers work hard to make 1Password the best it can be, and I'll be sure to pass your kind words along to them. I know they'll really appreciate it! :)

I've been trying to reproduce the sorting problem you described (I created a bunch of test Login items for Google with various titles and data), but it works for me as expected whether I search for them in the main app, or from mini while the main app is open, or from mini if I open & unlock it while the main app is closed. However, the way Login items are sorted in mini / browser extension can be confusing, and the order might be different based on a few things, so I wanted to explain how that works in case it helps to explain what you're seeing:

When you go to a website and then open 1Password mini, if there are multiple Logins for that site, it sorts by the URL first, and then alphabetically. So, if some of your Login items for Google have different subdomains in the website address, the Login items that most closely match the website/subdomain you're currently viewing are pulled to the top of the list in 1Password mini.

For example, if you go to https://calendar.google.com in your browser and then open 1Password mini, it will first show you the Login items that have https://calendar.google.com in their first website field. Login items with a different Google subdomain such as https://accounts.google.com or https://plus.google.com will be hidden behind the 'Show X more items' option, even if they are marked as Favorites.

Could that explain how those items are sorted when you search for your Google Logins in mini? If so, a possible solution would be to give each Google item the exact same website/subdomain. (When checking the website field in your Google items, if they have multiple website fields, you only need to check the very first one in each item, as that's the one used for sorting.)

Alternately, there's a setting in 1Password which might help. In the main 1Password app, go to 1Password > Preferences, select the Browsers tab, and enable the option for 'Allow filling on pages that closely match saved websites'. Now go back to 1Password mini again, and it should show matches based only on the domain (google.com) and ignore the subdomain. Favorites will be listed at the top, and the rest should be in alphabetical order by title.

Please let us know how it goes and if this helps. If not, we'll continue from there. Cheers! :)

• jjkotarski
    jjkotarski
    Community Member
    Options

Hey, I think that worked! Never would've imagined that would be difference, but you're right. I had about 10 different URLs amongst the Google logins and by making them all the same they now sort properly. Thank you for your detailed explanation and recommendations. I appreciate the help!

• On behalf of Drew, you're very welcome. Don't hesitate to reach out of you have any more questions.

Rick

• the_mace
    the_mace
    Community Member
    Options

I had a similar issue, many logins, but the one I use the most wasn't at the top of the list in the browser drop down. Changing that setting seemed to fix it.

I'd recommend an option where it sorted/displayed by most frequently used though.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know! I'd be glad to forward your request to our developers. I can't make any promises about if/when we might add that sorting option to 1Password mini / browser extension, but for now, it may help to mark that item as a Favorite so it appears at the top of the list.

If you need anything else, we're here for you. Happy New Year! :)

ref: OPM-1626

This discussion has been closed.