Safe in Dock?

Options

Is it safe to leave 1Password in the dock? It doesn't automatically lock, so it's quite exposed. If it is in the dock would that make it more susceptible to hackers?

I freaked out earlier and deleted 1PW from my watch... then came here. I had to read that it was safe, then do a delete & reboot on the watch and a reboot on my phone. Thank you in advance!!!

signed...

"nervous nellie"

iPhone 6+ / Series 2 Apple Watch all updated to latest software.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: icloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Helen Rodemeyer: Ultimately it's your data, so you'll need to decide for yourself what you're comfortable with, but I'm glad you reached out for more information on the security of 1Password for Apple Watch. I went into some detail in another discussion here about how watchOS secures the 1Password data you send to your watch using the device passcode you set, but be sure to let me know if you have any other questions. Also keep in mind that because 1Password cannot encrypt/decrypt data on the watch and the OS handles it, 1Password does not lock itself; it locks with your watch. I'll sort of give you my own perspective on this in case it helps.

Personally, I don't store a lot of 1Password information on my Apple Watch, but this is primarily because of the limited screen real estate and navigation, rather than a security concern. I've got mainly frequently used logins, credit cards, license, passport, social security, and some memberships — just small stuff I might need to access quickly on a day to day basis. So, the way I see it, since I've got a strong passcode on my watch, it's set to erase everything after 10 failed attempts, it locks automatically when removed, and I almost never enter my passcode (I just have it unlock with my iPhone, which is also using a strong passcode and Touch ID), there is sufficient barrier for someone other than me to get data off of my watch: they'd need to physically remove it from by body without it locking, or get me to provide my passcode. So that's the bar I set for what I put on it.

Going back to the Dock, the fact that watchOS handles the encryption and locking, keeping it there doesn't impact security. I hope this helps. :)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

I almost never enter my passcode (I just have it unlock with my iPhone, which is also using a strong passcode and Touch ID)

Nice! I did not know this was possible...

What kind of pattern does the "long" passcode allow? (Just more digits?)

The Apple documentation is rather vague about that: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204505

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Nice! I did not know this was possible...

@XIII: Glad I could help! :) :+1:

What kind of pattern does the "long" passcode allow? (Just more digits?)

Yep. Lots and lots of digits. It's not ideal, but then again neither would it be to try to use a full alphanumeric keyboard on a 2" screen... :lol:

The Apple documentation is rather vague about that: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204505

Ah, yeah. A lot of their documentation is...at least for folks like us who want the juicy details. The "long passcode" is what I use, since it allows for an arbitrary length...but is unfortunately capped at 10 digits. Not bad, but not great either.

This discussion has been closed.