New installation of Mac app gets "the request timed out" when trying to sign in

TracyTThomas
TracyTThomas
Community Member

Hi, I just tried to set up 1password for Mac for the first time. I installed the app, opened it, and entered the account information. When I click sign in, I get the spinning wheel for quite a long time, and then eventually get a "the request timed out" message. I've tried restarting my Mac with the same result.

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.2.90
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: 1password.com
Referrer: forum-search:mac timeout

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TracyTThomas: it sounds like you're trying to login to a 1Password.com Account. Is that correct? It sounds like something is preventing 1Password from establishing a secure connection. Do you have "security" software that might be interfering? Let me know what you find!

• TracyTThomas
    TracyTThomas
    Community Member

Hi, thanks for your quick answer. I don't have any security software running (at least that I know of). I am trying to login using the 1Password.com account.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TracyTThomas: In that case, and this will sound silly, you'll need to look at some pretty basic stuff: date/time/zone, reboot, etc. If no other software is interfering, then something else is amiss. You won't be able to establish a secure connection if the time is off, or if there's some fundamental problem with the OS. Have you completed all updates? Are you able to login to 1Password.com in Safari? Thanks in advance!

• TracyTThomas
    TracyTThomas
    Community Member

After being busy during the holidays, I finally got back to this and solved it. My OS is now up to date, but that wasn't it. My problem is that I was confused about the first blank line in the app - the sign-in link (I think that's what it's called). I downloaded my emergency kit and saw what it was supposed to be and it all works now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that all is well. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of assistance. Happy new year! :)

This discussion has been closed.