To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Setting up Securely No Extension

Options
adamm1
adamm1
Community Member

I am new to this program. News Year resolution to be more secure.

I want to set up securely and I see the benefits of the password auto generator once I put in my old passwords and set it up.
It seems to me that the extension on the browser (chrome, firefox). which is more secure is the key.
So to set up, I download app on phone and computer.. Got that. Add Extension got it... I am assuming I can add extension for firebox, ie, and chrome all on same computer.

It leads me to a few questions:
1) Do I have to be signed into chrome for this to work. I have multiple gmail accounts that I use at once.
2) If I go to a different computer and add the extension (I am assuming that I have to register the device first)
3) Once, I cede my password creating ability to the robots, (which I understand is way more secure) what happens if I need to get into an account and I am not my phone or my computer and I am say at a family member house? How does that work? Because I won't know any of my passwords anymore. What If I have to register the computer for the day, can I remove it? How do I register it but knowning my masterpassword and what else is required.
Please advise as to the best way to set up an account
My process is going to be add my main accounts (banking, emails, amazon) and then change all the passwords to make it more secure.
I go between pc and iphone does that matter?

Thanks for helping a newbie.

Adam

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Setting up Securely No Extension

Comments

• adamm1
    adamm1
    Community Member
    Options

Also how can i change my user name ?

• MaxSiegel
    MaxSiegel
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @adammazur! Thanks for reaching out to us, and thanks for using 1Password. I'm a bit biased, but I think you made the perfect New Year's resolution by giving us a try. ;)

Onto your questions!

1) Do I have to be signed into chrome for this to work. I have multiple gmail accounts that I use at once.

No, you don't need to use Chrome's built-in profile system. Instead, you can save multiple Gmail accounts in 1Password directly.

2) If I go to a different computer and add the extension (I am assuming that I have to register the device first)

Yes, as long as you're signed in to your account within the 1Password app on that device, you'll be able to log in to any of your websites.

3) Once, I cede my password creating ability to the robots, (which I understand is way more secure) what happens if I need to get into an account and I am not my phone or my computer and I am say at a family member house? How does that work? Because I won't know any of my passwords anymore. What If I have to register the computer for the day, can I remove it? How do I register it but knowning my masterpassword and what else is required.

You're correct, the idea is, you won't need to remember those passwords at all. (Except your Master Password, of course. :) ) There are a couple of ways to address this particular scenario:

1. You can sign in to your account in a web browser at 1Password.com. You'll need to type in your Account Key only once, since the browser will save the Account Key information going forward. Finish signing in by typing your Master Password, and you can then access all of your saved Logins.
    2. You could also download 1Password (the app) and sign in to your account when you first open it. As long as no one else uses 1Password, they wouldn't be able to use 1Password, since only you can unlock it with your Master Password. And you can always remove your account if you'd like by opening Preferences > Accounts.
    3. There may still be important websites that you'd like to sign in to if for whatever reason 1Password isn't available (like say, an Apple ID or Dropbox). When changing those passwords, you can set the password generator to create a randomized series of words, which are much easier for us humans to remember than 64-character-long random digits. :)

4) My process is going to be add my main accounts (banking, emails, amazon) and then change all the passwords to make it more secure.

That's the exact way to go about doing it. :) If you haven't yet seen it, we have a great knowledge base article that describes in greater detail how to go about changing your passwords.

5) I go between pc and iphone does that matter?

Not at all. Download our apps on both devices, sign in, and everything will work automatically.

6) Also how can i change my user name ?

Stupid question (on my part), but do you mean changing your username in the support forum?

Thanks again for taking the time to ask these questions @adammazur. I"m here if you have any others. :)

• adamm1
    adamm1
    Community Member
    Options

When you reference dropbox/icloud
    There may still be important websites that you'd like to sign in to if for whatever reason 1Password isn't available (like say, an Apple ID or Dropbox). When changing those passwords, you can set the password generator to create a randomized series of words, which are much easier for us humans to remember than 64-character-long random digits.

You are saying that if I need to go on a random computer to download a dropbox or icloud file I should have a long phrase or word that I have a change to remember instead of the crazy algo that is generated please confirm my understanding?

6) Yes- I would like to change my username in this forum. I am not able to do it myself. You can change it to adamm1 or something.

On the Mobile side- How does it work, I have the app on my phone and I have to take the long crazy passwords and put into the settings for all my email accounts and my banking apps?

Thanks again.

• @adammazur Indeed. 1Password can generate password made of words, separated by hyphens, spaces, and other characters. Here's what that looks like in the Mac app:

They can be however many words you'd like.

Yes- I would like to change my username in this forum. I am not able to do it myself. You can change it to adamm1 or something.

Done, changed to adamm1 for you. :)

On the Mobile side- How does it work, I have the app on my phone and I have to take the long crazy passwords and put into the settings for all my email accounts and my banking apps?

It depends on what kind of device you're using. You mentioned an iPhone, and you can use many of your passwords in a browser there, and the apps that have a 1Password icon in them:

Use the 1Password extension to fill in Safari and apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

You can also copy and paste them:

Copy and fill passwords into apps that don't work with 1Password

On Android there's a 1Password keyboard that can fill your passwords almost anywhere:

Use the 1Password keyboard to fill in Chrome and apps on your Android device

Hope this helps. :)

This discussion has been closed.