To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

1Password.com, PDF attachments are broken in Safari - help?

Options
snowdesign
snowdesign
Community Member

I think I've found a bug.

I use 1Password on a Mac (Macbook Air w/ El Capitan) and an iPhone (6+ w/ 10.2).
I recently started a new 1Password.com account and moved my vault to the web site, and I'm now synching to that vault from both of my native apps, and also trying to learn how the site works.
I have a lot of entries with PDF attachments.

When I'm on 1password.com in Safari, and I click a link to a PDF - whether directly in the Documents pane, or by invoking it through the 'attachment' link in another entry, I get the page that refers to the PDF, but I can't download the PDF. I click the 'Download' link, it fires up a new tab in Safari, which then immediately closes without having downloaded the document. I basically can't get at them at all.

• They work as expected on Chrome. I can download the PDFs just fine. (I wish I could view them inline, but I guess that's an upcoming feature, right? :) )
  • They also work just fine on my iPhone - I've downloaded and looked at a bunch of PDFs using the 'Personal' vault from the iOS app.
  • They don't work on Safari - version 10.0.1. The tabs opening up and closing by themselves is a recent update, so maybe it's a bug with that?

To make sure it isn't me, I disabled all extensions - I have uBlock and Ghostery running normally but I have them completely off in Safari now and the problem persists.

Do you know what's going on? Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: 1Password.com
Referrer: forum-search:PDF attachments

Comments

• Jacob
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi @snowdesign! Thanks for posting about this. We do have a unique implementation of PDFs in 1Password.com. They work as usual in Chrome, but in Safari things are handled differently. If you inspect the element (things we adventurous folks do all day), you'll see that it's a blob: URL since we are using the download attribute, which is currently supported in all major browsers except Safari. It is in the Technology Preview of Safari, though, so I expect it will come to the stable version in the future since that is Apple's model for improving the browser. :)

For now I'd recommend using Chrome, Firefox, or Opera to save your PDFs. I am curious about this though:

They don't work on Safari - version 10.0.1. The tabs opening up and closing by themselves is a recent update, so maybe it's a bug with that?

I'm sorry about that. I was able to reproduce what you mentioned in Safari on my Mac and iPad, so it's something we're going to look into and get fixed up. Thanks again for letting us know!

ref: B5-2346

• @snowdesign I just wanted to let you know we've fixed this and it will be rolled out shortly. :) Thanks again for reporting it.

• snowdesign
    snowdesign
    Community Member
    Options

Excellent, thanks. 8-)

• No problem ;)

This discussion has been closed.