Is there an upgrade path from 1Password 4 (Mac) to 1Password 6?

Options
Mattoe
Mattoe
Community Member

Hi,

I have been using 1Password for quite some time now.

I started off with 1Password 3 for Mac and then upgraded to 1Password 4 for Mac and Windows a while ago.

Now that El Capitan has seemingly ended it's patch cycle, I would like to do a fresh install of 10.11.6 on my Mac but my 1Password 4 won't work on El Capitan.

So, I've been to the AgileBits website and tried to get an upgrade price from my 1Password 4 to 1Password 6. However, if I enter my 1Password 4 (Mac & Windows) licence key I get a message telling me that "There are no upgrades available for 1Password. You can try another license or check back later."

Is there a particular reason that I am unable to upgrade my 1Password 4 licence at this time?

If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks,

Matthew

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

The upgrades from 1PW4 to 5 and from 5 to 6 are free, so there is no upgrade price quoted.

Just download 1PW6 and it should work fine. Note, though, that the option of the new subscription service means that in 1PW6 you will need to "continue without account" ( the word "account" only applies to the subscription version), and you may also have to point 1PW6 at your current vault (I am not sure if this is needed, I think it may pick up the old vault automatically).

I should mention, though, that while 1PW3 used a licence KEY, 1PW4 and later use a licence FILE (the same file for them all).

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Mattoe,

Danco's answer is spot-on: 1Password 5 and 6 for Mac are free upgrades if you have a 1Password 4 for Mac license, and that's why our upgrade page tells you there are no upgrades available - you already have a license for the latest version! :)

If you check for updates from the 1Password 4 app, it should be able to install version 6 - but you can also download version 6 from our download site if you're having trouble opening 1Password 4 on El Capitan. Just move the 1Password 6 app to the Applications folder and delete any copies of 1Password 4 if you still have them on your Mac (just make sure you don't use any app cleaning tools to do that).

Please also make sure you have a backup of your Mac before doing the clean install of El Capitan, or that you at least have a backup of your 1Password data somewhere.

I hope this helps, but if you have more questions about that, just let us know. Cheers! :)

• Mattoe
    Mattoe
    Community Member
    Options

Hi guys and thank you for the replies.

I'm very pleasantly surprised by the answer that there is no charge to upgrade; you don't get that kind of news every day :-)

I would just like to clarify something though before upgrading to 1PW6.

I currently use 1PW4 on both my Mac & Windows 10 PC and also have the iOS app too, using Dropbox to hold and share my "vault" between all my devices.

If I now update my Mac to 1PW6 will this have any detrimental affect on the Windows 10 or iOS versions that I am currently running? At the moment everything runs really smoothly and I don't want to mess that up :-)

Thanks once again for taking the time to reply.

All the best,

Matthew

• rudy
    Options

Hi @mattoe,

It should work just fine. They all should be exchanging their data using an agilekeychain file in your dropbox folder as their source for sync. If upon updating to 1Password 6 you find that the Mac needs to have its vault sync reconnected you'll want to pick the actual agilekeychain file in your dropbox folder rather than the dropbox folder itself. If you select the folder it will try to promote it to an opvault, in which case your other devices would be syncing against the wrong file (still pointed at agilekeychain while the mac would be populating an opvault).

Let us know if you have any further questions!

Rudy

• Mattoe
    Mattoe
    Community Member
    Options

Hi again everyone,

Sorry to raise this thread from the dead but I now have finally gotten around to doing my fresh install and I have downloaded 1PW 6.5.3 and installed it and pointed it at my Dropbox and it picked up my vault and all seems to be working fine...

However.... I cannot seem to find a way to enter my serial number in the new 6.5.3 version. When I click on 1Password 6 > Licence > Add Licence is seems like it is looking for a licence file or similar for me to click on, which I don't have.

Is anyone able to help me please, as I was hoping to be able to just enter my licence key as explained above.

Many thanks in advance,

Matthew

• rudy
    Options

Hi @Mattoe,

You are correct that 1Password 6.5.3 is looking for a license file. I took a look in our system for your license under the email address that you created your forum account with but the system didn't find any valid licenses for any version of 1Password.

if you email us at support+forum @ agilebits.com we should be able to help you figure out what the next step is.

Rudy

• Mattoe
    Mattoe
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Rudy,

I have just done as you asked detailing my old email address, order dates and licence keys.

Thanks very much,

Matthew

• rudy
    Options

@Mattoe

Thanks, you should get a series of emails that hopefully sort everything out.

Rudy

ref: PQE-35841-263

• Mattoe
    Mattoe
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Rudy - I'll take a look.

Would you be kind enough enough to update my email address your end please?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Mattoe,

Did you receive the email from Rudy? If so, it's best to reply to that email with your request so you can be clear about what you'd like us to update without having to worry about posting personal information on these public forums. If you have more questions related to that, we'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid creating any confusion between here and there. Thanks! :)

ref: PQE-35841-263

This discussion has been closed.