To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Confused about Master Key

Options
paulJapan
paulJapan
Community Member

I purchased the Mac app through the Apple App store. It is working great but not syncing with my version on the iPhone. I went to troubleshoot and now the Mac app is not letting me access without entering in the Master Key which I can't find, don't recall receiving, but I did find a mention that I might not have master key but no instructions on what to do in that case. Please advise.

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.5.3 (653001) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @paulJapan! I'm sorry about the confusion. There are two ways to use 1Password: standalone and with a subscription. To learn about the difference I recommend reading this comment by my colleague Drew.

Buying 1Password on the Mac App Store usually puts you on the standalone track, so you don't have (and need) an account to use 1Password and you - as a consequence - won't need an Account Key. In order to sync in a standalone scenario, you'll need to set up what we call Sync It Yourself using solutions like Dropbox or iCloud.

In your specific case I'd advise you to set up sync on your iPhone first to make sure your data is stored not only on your phone, but somewhere else. That way you have a backup when something happens to your phone and your data becomes accessible by your Mac.

On the Welcome screen of 1Password for Mac you can then select the appropriate sync solution from the section titled Used 1Password before?.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need any additional information. I’ll be happy to help! :)

• lucy_
    lucy_
    Community Member
    Options

Similar Issue:
    I have a similar issue - I have a new iphone. I set this up from my icloud back up and when I went to open 1password it asked me whether I wanted to sync from icloud or dropbox etc. My 1password syncs with icloud so I duly selected this however, I then get the message: "No 1Password data was found on iCloud." I don't have an "Account Key" or a "QR Code" or an "Emergency Kit" (all suggested in "Get Help" ) probably as you've said above because I too bought a paid account from the App store. I have tried the other suggestions in 'help' such as signing into the 1password.com online but it doesn't recognise my email address. If I open the app and go to 1Password > Preferences, then click 'Accounts' - it doesn't show any accounts. If I choose 'ADD', I'm back to square one as I don't have the necessary QR code etc. If I go to 'Vaults' - it shows 'primary vault' . If I go to 'Sync' it shows that the 'primary vault' syncs to icloud. How on earth am I supposed to get this app onto my new phone?

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lucy_ ! Thanks for getting in touch. I think we'll need to look into your issue in a bit more detail to find out where your data is currently located. Would you mind contacting us via email? If you do, please return here to post the message ID you received. I'll be happy to continue your conversation over there. :) Thanks!

• lucy_
    lucy_
    Community Member
    Options

ID is [#NNP-37787-441].

Hi,

I emailed yesterday and ID number is above. I have fixed it! Well for the short term anyway. I found an app store update which once downloaded seemed to sort it out . I am feeling a little stupid I hadn't checked this before!. I still don't have an account key or QR code and the online site still does not recognise my email address but perhaps I simply don't need online access.

Might be worth mentioning to anyone else with the same issue to check that they've got the latest app store update (incase there is anyone else who completely missed this horribly obvious fix!).

Thanks for getting back to me.

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lucy_ I'm happy to hear you sorted it out. I'll look into your email nonetheless, in case there's anything I can clarify. :)

ref: #NNP-37787-441

This discussion has been closed.