I Paid $65 for the App in the Mac App Store. Now My "Trial" has Ended and my Account is Frozen!

hyruleguardian
hyruleguardian
Community Member

A few weeks ago I made a post complaining about the fact that 1Password was indicating I was on a "Free Trial" despite the fact that I paid $65 for the app. I was given the email of someone who was supposed to help me, but they never followed up with my request for help.

Now that my "Free Trial" has ended, I'm banned from adding any new information on my 1Password account, both through the Mac app and the iOS app.

I want either an immediate resolution to this issue or a full refund for my $65 purchase.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• hyruleguardian
    hyruleguardian
    Community Member
    edited January 2017

I was under the impression that if I purchased the App on the Mac store, I wouldn't need to also subscribe $3.99 per month in order to sync my Mac and iPhone 1password accounts. Was I mistaken? (If so I would like a refund)

For what it's worth, I already un-installed and re-installed the iOS app, but that didn't help.

And just to be clear, I have already successfully synced my accounts through Mac/iOS. My concern is that this is only possibly because I am on "Trial Mode." I feel that since I spent $65, my account should not be in such a mode.

• hyruleguardian
    hyruleguardian
    Community Member

I was under the impression that if I purchased the App on the Mac store, I wouldn't need to also subscribe $3.99 per month in order to sync my Mac and iPhone 1password accounts. Was I mistaken? (If so I would like a refund)

To be clear, I have already successfully synced my accounts through Mac/iOS. My concern is that this is only possibly because I am on "Trial Mode." I feel that since I spent $65, my account should not be in such a mode.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

You don't need to subscribe to use and sync on Mac and iPhone (though there are iPhone features that need an in-app purchase if you don't subscribe).

However, AgileBits use the word "account"to refer to the subscription model, the one-time purchase does not have an account. It is all too easy to make a purchase and then set up 1PW for a subscription account. In that case one will be in trial mode.

It is not difficult to go back to the one-time purchase model (it's the same program, just different setup) from the subscription.

• hyruleguardian
    hyruleguardian
    Community Member

So you're saying there's nothing that's in error with my account right now (that the app may indicate I'm in "trial mode" despite the fact I purchased a license)? And I will continue to be able to use 1Password going forward without paying any subscription fees?

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni

@hyruleguardian - Welcome to our forums, I'm happy you're here! :)

There are two ways to use 1Password: standalone and subscription. To learn about the difference I recommend reading this article by my colleague Drew.

When you bought 1Password on the Mac App Store, you started out 'standalone'. However, you also signed up for a subscription account. This account is currently in trial mode, hence the message you see.

That's a bit of a mix up and we'll need to clean that up together. As this entails talking about payments and account data, I'd prefer if you contacted us by email so we can take the conversation private. Please report back the support ID you received when writing in and I'll make sure someone looks into the issue right away. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@hyruleguardian: If you purchased a standalone license for the desktop version of 1Password, this is only valid for the desktop version you purchased, not for a 1Password.com subscription, or for 1Password for iOS. If you'd prefer a 1Password.com subscription since it will give you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether -- you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data -- we can give you a credit for the purchase if it was recent. But we cannot offer refunds for the App Store, as that is owned and operated by Apple. It looks like you also contacted us separately via email, so I'll follow up there as well in case we need to discuss account information.

ref: LVW-86865-585

• Rediwed
    Rediwed
    Community Member
    edited January 2017

Your trial for the subscription based version of 1password has ended. Apparently, after you bought 1Password (the one-time-payment version) you actually set up vaults for the subscription based version which are now frozen because you didn't pay the monthly fee (3,5 dollars).

Please, check for me and go to 1Password settings > Accounts. If it looks like the image linked below (mind I removed my own information):
    http://i.imgur.com/sN7WG2e.png

If it looks like the link above and it provides you with a: Account Key, Sign in adres and email. Then you've set up your 1Password to be linked to your online account.

However; since you set up your 1Password application with you 1Password Account, 1P now thinks you are a user with a subscription. So you can't add a new vault from the application itself (only from the -now blocked- web interface).

You need to unlink your 1Password application from your 1Password account and create a new vault.
    Someone from AgileBits/1Password should be able to help you with successfully migrating your existing vault-data.

@brenty & @peri Can you help this poor man out?

• hyruleguardian
    hyruleguardian
    Community Member

@Rediwed First of all, I was not able to view the imgur image you linked, but no matter.

What I just did was I signed out of my vault on my Mac, and I just deleted and re-downloaded my iOS app.

I am now able to add new account information on both the Mac and iOS apps, although I will have to add in all my information all over again. (Unless you there's some sort of handy dandy way to transfer over all my information I don't know of?)

It seems that it is no longer possible to sync information between my Mac and iOS apps. Is that correct? Is data syncing an option that is only available to subscribers, and not people who purchased the $65 license?)

Thanks for your help.

• Rediwed
    Rediwed
    Community Member
    edited January 2017

Oh, yeah sorry. I noticed that I had forgotten to remove a piece of identifying information and removed it quickly. I forgot to update the link.

Synchronization IS available to non subscribing users. For the sake of ease I'll copy a bit of explanation I made earlier below:

Well, It's not exactly mandatory. BUT it's the only build-in way to synchronize (excluding wifi synchronization, but I want to synchronize world wide and not only at home).

Otherwise you could provide you own synchronization by using Bittorrent Sync or any other service that sync's folders on multiple devices.

Basically 1Password natively supports 3 ways of synchronizing:

• WiFi synchronization (so only at home/work)
    • Dropbox synchronization (which forces you to use dropbox, which is too 2014)
    • 1Password's proprietary synchronisation (only available when using subscription)

• OR: Fix your own synchronization.

Anyway, this doesn't solve your problem.

To solve your problem I'd suggest you to remove your current 1Password Account from the application, as you've already done. Then continue by adding a new vault (either 1Password > New Vault or File > New vault, can't check as I use 1P accounts).

After you've done that, add your 1Password account again. Then select ALL your items, right click > Share > Select the local vault > Move

This one does work, I promise: http://i.imgur.com/hRMzbmp.png

Hope that works!!! (Exactly the opposite of what I did to move from my 65$ version to subscription based version).

To synchronize, set up dropbox synchronization (http://i.imgur.com/6gj621L.png) or fix your own synchronization (e.g. Bittorrent Sync).

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member

@hyruleguardian:

It seems that it is no longer possible to sync information between my Mac and iOS apps. Is that correct? Is data syncing an option that is only available to subscribers, and not people who purchased the $65 license?)

The easy way is the subscription way. But you can still sync with a license using 3rd party services. Check out your options here:

https://support.1password.com/sync-options/

• hyruleguardian
    hyruleguardian
    Community Member
    edited January 2017

@Rediwed I did File -> New Vault... but all this does is give me access to create a new vault (umm, obviously?).

I am confused as to what you mean by "Add [my] 1Password account again."

Now that I have logged out of the vault I had, I have no idea how to log back into it. I currently see 2 vaults available - one that was created just after I logged out of my old vault (this is called "Primary,"), and then a vault I just named. Both vaults are empty.

So how do I regain access to all the information I had before?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2017

@pervel, @Rediwed: Thanks for the assist! :chuffed:

@hyruleguardian: I was actually the one who was in contact with you via email, but I never heard back from you after my last message on the 17th. It sounds like it may have ended up in your spam folder for some reason. :(

Definitely don't manually add all of your data again. While your frozen account cannot be changed, you can copy data out of it. We don't lock you out of your data, ever. Just login to your account in the app and then copy your data to a local vault.

I've resent my previous message via email just now in case we need to go more in depth with your setup there, so please verify that you've received it. Be sure to let me know if there's anything I can help with!

• Rediwed
    Rediwed
    Community Member

Great! I hope this helps!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

One way or another we'll get it sorted out. :chuffed:

• hyruleguardian
    hyruleguardian
    Community Member
    edited January 2017

@brenty Now I'm trying to login with my 1password.com account again.

But now I can't login to my 1Password.com account. When I try to login to it, I'm asked for my sign-in address, email address, account key, and master password. But I'm pretty sure I now don't have my Account Key, even though I thought I did.

So now I'm stuck again.

• Hi @hyruleguardian,

Do you still have the account configured in any of our apps, like the Mac or iOS app? On the iOS app, the account key can be found under Settings > Accounts > Your Account. On Mac it's available under Preferences > Accounts > Your Account.

You mentioned

I just deleted and re-downloaded my iOS app.

When you launched the iOS app and went to Sign In to your account, it may have also pre-filled your account info minus master password. The iOS app does a little backup of that info for you.

Rick

• hyruleguardian
    hyruleguardian
    Community Member

@rickfillion It actually pre-filled a different Account key. Fortunately, I was able to find the correct account key only because I remembered that I had a 1Password Emergency Kit PDF saved on my computer. Thanks to that I was able to find my account key and login back in. Otherwise, I don't know what I would have done.

@brenty , I followed your information and (after a few hiccups) I was able to get everything to work on both my Mac and iOS apps! At first, there was confusion with the iOS app, but I was able to solve the problem by deleting the app once again, creating a standalone vault first, and then signing onto my 1password account and moving everything to my standalone vault. So the initial confusion was not realizing that there is no standalone vault to move things to by default.

Everything should be straightened out now! Well, except for the syncing between my Mac and iOS app vaults, but I'll get around to that one later. It wouldn't surprise me if I end up needing more help for that one too. :p

Thanks everyone for your help!

• I'm happy to hear that you managed to figure that out, @hyruleguardian.

Let us know if/when you need more help. :)

Rick

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@hyruleguardian: I just realized that you've been posting in three separate discussions as well as communicating via email, which explains why I felt like I was missing something. :lol:

Anyway, it sounds like you should be all set, but I've merged these just in case, and I'll follow up via email in case there's anything else I can help with. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.