How does the family plan work with bigger family groups?

Matt_in_Canada
Matt_in_Canada
Community Member

I get the idea that a family can be defined as a group of people living under one roof. My brother moved from LastPass over to your service. Guess you succeeded on convincing your service was better. (I don't know if it is). He has a wife so that leaves 3 users free. So he sent an invite out to our parents who really need help with password management. But as he lives in the UK and our parents live by me in Canada, it makes sense to have me helping look after them.

So he sent me an invite to his family plan. But I have my own wife and kids. I can add addition people to the plan for a $1 each, but then it comes down to autonomous security. This comes down to management. Can you create a management tree for example:

Brother can be the manager of his family + manage the parents.
I can be the manager of my family + also manage the parents.

I have a 12 year old daughter. I would like to be able to manage and see login details as she is a minor. Having secureity is paramount for someone of her age so sites with passwords can't get hacked but still I need access. But only I need access and not my brother or my parents.

Both my brother and I need access to our parents account as they are in their 70's and everything it written on a piece of paper that ofter gets lost and ends up with a phonecall of 'How do i get into my Apple account? or My bank password is not working anymore' I'd prefer to be able to do it remotely over the phone and logged in through my own internet to help them out.

Am I asking too much of your software?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi Matt_in_Canada - Thank you for additional details. I noticed you also emailed us as well. Let's continue the conversation over there and I'll be happy to address your questions. Talk to you soon! Have a fantastic day :-)

ref: WEI-69663-985

• jeffc
    jeffc
    Community Member

This is actually a great question, and one that I've been thinking about lately.

I've had some family members ask to be under my account, but I'm hesitant to add them solely because of this management issue raised by @Matt_in_Canada.

Based on my understanding, 1Password for Teams would give more flexibility, but this is for a family, not for a team.

What options are available to me here, other than either (1) not letting extended family members under my account, or (2) Transitioning to 1Pasword for Teams?

Thanks!

• Hi @jeffc - You're correct, 1Password Teams includes more permission based controls. Another option, with 1Password Families we include 5 Guest accounts.

Guests only have access to one Shared vault at a time. They have all the same benefits of a "regular" family member - access to all the apps, web, and auto-sync. But they can only view one vault at a time. Which might be a good fit for a older parent or child since you will be able to manage things a little more. Not too sure if it's the best option for your use case but I thought it might be worth mentioning. You can read a little more about Guest Accounts here - https://support.1password.com/guests/

We appreciate the feedback for wanting more permission based controls added to 1Password Families. I will make sure to mention this to the team. Let me know if you have any additional questions and I'll be happy to help out. Have a great day :-)

• Raptor007
    Raptor007
    Community Member

So if I want to have my wife, myself and then add my parents and sibling should I be signing up for 1Password Teams instead so I have more management flexibility vs the family option? I cannot find a comparison of teams vs family. Its not cost issue for me, but I want everyone to use their own 1password world and IF necessary I can help admin.

This discussion has been closed.