Odd sequence of events during a bank login using Safari this morning has me concerned

Options
JowiT
JowiT
Community Member

No real problem to report but a little bit spooked. I went to do some banking on my Meridian CU site this morning and hit the 1P plug-in icon in Safari as always. I selected "Meridian" as usual. Instead of logging me in, though, I got a message saying something like "1Password wants permission to open this site" and it launched a blank webpage and had me re-enter my one password. Meanwhile, I saw those flashes you sometimes see when mini browser windows briefly open and disappear and may be partly obscured by your main window - like used to happen with pop-ups at spammy sites.
Anyway, I closed the tab and started again and everything worked normally on the next try but I've never seen it before and it made me wonder if it was at least an attempt by some robot to misdirect me as I did have to re-enter my 1 password a second time.

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: 10.12.2
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Weird glitch on MacOS this morning.

Comments

• Hi @JowiT,

Thanks for writing in. That does sound a little odd to me. So the first thing, and it sounds like you did right here... never, under any circumstances, enter your Master Password into a password field that you aren't 100% sure is 1Password.

That "1Password wants permission to open this site" is a little bizarre to me. Are you using any apps like Little Snitch or something that gives you warnings like that? OS X itself doesn't warn for opening up a URL like we do...which makes me wonder where that dialog came from.

Next time you see anything like this, can you take screenshots of what you're seeing and send them our way?

Rick

• JowiT
    JowiT
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Rick - not familiar with Little Snitch and no other security apps running. I will definitely take screenshots if there's a next time. Because my use of 1P is so automatic (i'm an early adopter) I just assumed I hadn't been paying sufficient attention and mis-clicked something but the sequence of events after that were certainly unusual.

• There's a whole lot of muscle memory that gets developed after using 1Password for a long time. :)

Rick

This discussion has been closed.