Password must be copied into website; autofill using 1Password doesn't work

Options
RJS
RJS
Community Member

I created a complex password using 1Password for a very common credit card company, yet that password only works when I copy it from my 1Password account ... the autofill option doesn't work -- the website says I've entered the wrong password. I've tried numerous times, and the result is the same.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Password must be copied into website; autofill using 1Password doesn't work

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

This issue occurs if the password you choose is too long for the site. There are technical reasons for this, but simple solution is to try a shorter password until autofill works.

• Hi @RJS,

Is this the same issue as you reported here https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/350448/ ?

Rick

• RJS
    RJS
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Rick - no, it's a separate issue. Following danco's advice, I shortened the password to the minimum, of 8 characters, and that didn't solve the problem. So, my sense is that there may be an issue with the website not accepting the autofill from 1Password.

Any advice?

• @RJS : would it be possible or you to give us the exact URL of this website so that we can try it out ourselves and see?

Thanks

Rick

• RJS
    RJS
    Community Member
    Options

Sure, Rick ... here ya go: https://www.alaskausa.org/

• @RJS : this sure looks a lot like the site you posted about in that other thread?

Rick

• RJS
    RJS
    Community Member
    Options

Rick - Sorry if I haven't been clear; there are two distinct issues. The first issue is with the keypad, as we've discussed above. The second issue is an autofill not working for a credit card website; I can copy and past my complicated password generated by 1Password and that works, but the autofill doesn't work with the identical password. Does that help describe the two distinct issues?

• @RJS : unfortunately not. :(

I went to alaskausa.org and I'm trying to find a password field that I can even copy/paste into and I'm not able to. Can you elaborate on exactly which field that would be? A screenshot will probably clear this up for me.

Thanks

Rick

• RJS
    RJS
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry Rick... To get to the AlaskaUSA key pad, an account # must first be entered at this site: https://www.alaskausa.org/; I prefer not to include my account into this blog; I hope you understand. Once that account # is entered, the next screen is the key pad, where the Personal Access Code needs to entered; which is the screen shot I sent early in this thread.

The second issue, autofill not working but copy/paste does work, is with Capital One credit card

Does that help?

Thanks,

Bob

• @RJS : the alskausa.org keypad is what you showed me in the other thread.

Can I get the capital one URL you're using?

Rick

• RJS
    RJS
    Community Member
    Options

Rick... Correct, the keypad is in the other thread. This thread started with my question about Capital One, and here is their URL: https://verified.capitalone.com/sic-ui/#/esignin?Product=Card

Thanks,

• Thanks @RJS.

It worked for me with that link. Here's what I did... maybe you can mimic:

• I went to that link
    • I entered in a test username and password
    • I clicked the 1Password button in my browser which brought up 1Password mini
    • I clicked the gear icon in the upper right
    • From the menu that came up, I clicked "Save new Login"
    • I saved the login in my vault

• I then reloaded the page fresh, username and password were blank (as expected)

• I hit cmd-\ , which would do the same thing as clicking the 1Password button, then selecting the login
    • Both the username and password fields filled.

It's better to create a login using "Save new Login" or the automatic prompt that comes up when you login to a site as opposed to manually creating them (in the event that that's what you did) as we get to store a bit more information about how the page works in this case.

Let me know how that goes.

Rick

• RJS
    RJS
    Community Member
    Options

Rick,

Again, thanks for the clear and informative advice.

Perhaps I wasn't clear: the username and password fields fill, but the password doesn't work when filled automatically ... but will work when I copy and paste it in. Because I already have a password, needed to use that password to enter the website, then, go to where I can change to a new password; i.e., I can't repeat what you did with an existing password. So, I entered the site, and changed the password, and before saving 1Password mini doesn't offer "Save new Login". After I saved the new password, then I got the options in the attached screenshot, which again doesn't include "Save new Login".

RJS

• Sorry about the confusion there, @RJS.

The panel you're showing there has a "Create New" tab at the top. Using "Create New" as opposed to Update Existing is equivalent to using the "Save new Login". Here's where that button lives by the way:

Now that you've changed the password using the capitalone site, are you able to correctly fill and login using 1Password?

Rick

• RJS
    RJS
    Community Member
    Options

Rick - you did it! Saving it as a new login solved the problem!

Thank you!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Awesome! On behalf of Rick, you're very welcome. I'm glad he was able to help you out with that!

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.