Problem using Safari extension for Mac password generator when updating logins

Options
ksteuer
ksteuer
Community Member

Occasionally, we all get prompted to update passwords for existing logins. I run into a problem using Safari extension for Mac when I use the password generator and click "Fill: Copy to Clipboard Before Filling". The fill function works fine, but then things go wrong. There are certain instances in which 1Password doesn't auto-recognize the password update. In that case, I'm looped back around to the site login screen after updating the password fields with the new, generated password. At that point, I expect to paste the random password that was just copied to the clipboard but nothing happens and I'm left having to use their reset password tool to get back in. What am I doing wrong and why isn't the new random password still in the clipboard moments after I placed it there?

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: OSX 10.12.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @ksteuer ,

Many web sites code their password reset pages differently. We try to be able to fill all of them, but there will be always some out there that don't fill properly.

Now, to answer your question, 1Password will keep passwords in the clipboard for a short time, but it will clear it out for security reasons. The default value is 90 seconds, but you can control this in the Preferences under Security.

If the password is no longer in the clipboard, you can still retrieve it. In 1Password window in the main application, click on Passwords on the left, then sort the list by "Date Created" or "Date Modified" and you will see your generated password there, and can copy it again. All generated passwords are saved there.

If 1Password has prompted you to Update the existing Login item for that site and you saved the changes, it will be located in the Login item for that web site in 1Password. The old password would be moved to the "Previously Used Passwords" section.

1Password will never throw away a generated password. It will save it in the Passwords section, and if you Update the existing login when prompted, it will move the password there.

I hope that helps. Feel free to reply if you have further questions.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• ksteuer
    ksteuer
    Community Member
    Options

Problem solved. The security-setting change and the password log work perfectly!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great news, @ksteuer! I'm glad to hear Kevin's reply was helpful for you. It sounds like you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know - we're always happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.