your app created a PW and once i had put it in an app it immediately forgot it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
aaaashy
aaaashy
Community Member

this has happened more than once over the years !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i just opened 1PW and created a password, copied it, and pasted it into the newly bought Apple Remote App

but when i returned to 1PW in order to create a login in which to store the password, and tried to PASTE the password, the bloody saved password had disappeared ....

so i now have the brilliant situation of having bought a new app, created a very complicated pw for it, and had it immediately LOST seemingly due to a problem between its creation in 1PW and saving it in the apple OS

i have no idea how to proceed with what will be a difficult problem to resolve

but the fact that this has happened before means there is obviously a problem with 1PW and how it interacts with OS (10.11.6 since you ask)

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1Password Version: latest
Extension Version: no idea
OS Version: os 10.11.6
Sync Type: no sync ?????
Referrer: forum-search:your app created a PW and once i had put it in an app it immediately forgot it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• aaaashy
    aaaashy
    Community Member
    Options

this can be written up as SOLVED now
    and sorry for my earlier angst

i turned to Apple who showed me that i could find the pw in Keychain, and also revealed in the process that to save a password in the clipboard requires the SHIFT key to be pressed along with the Cmd + C button, something i have never heard mention before now

but i would still be interested to hear if there is some sort of bug when saving a 1Password-created pw to the clipboard ,,, because i am sure this has happened to me before (and maybe even twice or three times)

sorry to bother you

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @aaaashy,

I'm very sorry you had some trouble with a password you generated in 1Password! I'm glad Apple was able to help you find it - thanks for following up to let us know. It's no bother for us at all, so no need to apologize - we would very much like to help you figure out what happened so we can help prevent it from happening again!

I don't know the exact steps you took to create that password, but if you're using 1Password 6 (currently the latest), there are a couple basic ways. One is to use the 'Password Generator' option in 1Password mini (i.e. the 1Password icon in your Mac's menubar). The other is to open the main 1Password app, create a new item, and use the generator button next to the 'password' field.

From your description, my best guess is that you opened the main 1Password app, created a new 'Password' item, and clicked the generator button next to the 'password' field of that item. Then you copied the new password from that field so you could paste it into the Apple Remote App. Finally, you went back to the 1Password app, created a new 'Login' item, and tried to paste the password - but at that point, the password was gone from the clipboard. If that's what happened, that's because of a security setting in 1Password to clear the clipboard after a certain period of time. (In the main 1Password app, you can find that setting by going to 1Password > Preferences in the menubar and selecting the Security tab.)

However, if that's what happened, there should still be a record of the password you generated. Have you checked the Passwords category in the left sidebar of the 1Password app? The new Password item you created should be there - if so, it will have a 'Convert to Login' button you can click to easily turn it into a Login item.

An easier way to do this would be to start by creating a new Login item (no need to create the Password item first). You can generate a new password in the Login item and copy that to another app (just remember to save the new item).

Now, I'm not sure I guessed correctly about all the steps you took, so that may or may not help to explain what happened and where you can find the generated password. If the steps you took were different, please let us know exactly what you did, and that should give us a much better idea. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.