Apple Watch app not showing data

13»

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ralphresnik: We're not delaying anything, which I hope is evident from our engagement here and the update we've already pushed to address issues with the new app. Unfortunately it isn't possible for us to know that the fixes we make won't work for some folks, such as yourself, until you try it and tell us so. So I really appreciate you giving us feedback on this. However, "still not able to use" doesn't really help narrow down what might be going wrong in your case, so I'd appreciate any details you can provide.

I'm really sorry that you (and others) have had trouble with the new Apple Watch app, but we can't have it both ways: a brand new app with new features that's able to work flawlessly in every conceivable edge case. We spent a lot of of time building and testing this, but it's impossible for us to account for everything, both internally and with the good folks helping us test the betas. The only thing we can do is keep working to improve it until we're to the point where you're no longer suffering from any further issues. We're doing that, and I appreciate your patience and willingness to engage with us, especially during the busy holiday season. We won't give up until this is resolved.

• ralphresnik
    ralphresnik
    Community Member
    edited December 2016

hi @brenty ... tnx for the prompt response. appreciated. and glad to hear you guys are 'burning the midnight oil'. i've been happily and successfully using 1Password for a few years now. i always recommend it to clients and friends.
    i use it on my Mac, iPhone and Watch.
    not sure what info you need, but fwiw, here you go:

• Mac ... not worth mentioning as i'm about to replace my iMac in the next few days.
    • iPhone 6 plus ... iOS 10.2 (14C92)
    • Apple Watch Series 2 ... WatchOS 3.1.1 (14S883)
    • 1Password 6.5.1
    • this is what i see on the watch ⌚️ (attached)

what other info would help?

• ralphresnik
    ralphresnik
    Community Member
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2017

@ralphresnik: Likewise, thanks for getting back to me, and for the kind words! I'm glad to hear that you've been enjoying 1Password so far. We'll get this sorted out so you can going forward as well. ;)

Please make sure that your have a passcode set on your watch, and then follow these steps:

1. Connect both the Apple Watch and iPhone to power
    2. Open the Watch app on your iPhone, scroll down to 1Password, and set Show on Apple Watch to the off position
    3. Open 1Password on your iPhone and go to Settings > Apple Watch and set Enable Apple Watch to the off position
    4. Wait for it to stop saying "Uninstalling..." (this may never happen, but give it 5 minutes and then move on)
    5. View the apps on your actual Watch and if it is gone (in some cases, even those that completed "Uninstalling..." still show up)
    6. If it's still shown there, hold your finger on it and then tap the (x) (this may not work either)*
    7. Regardless, hold the pill-shaped Side Button on the Watch and Power Off (you'll need to disconnect the power temporarily to do this)
    8. Then, after backing up any local vaults and ensuring you know your Master Password for them, uninstall 1Password from the iPhone, hold the iPhone's Lock Button, and Slide to Power Off
    9. Power on both the Apple Watch and iPhone
    10. Verify that 1Password is not shown on the Apple Watch and that this is reflected in the Watch app on the iPhone as well (if not, go back to the beginning)
    11. In 1Password on the iPhone, set Enable Apple Watch to on
    12. In Watch on the iPhone, go to 1Password and set Show on Apple Watch to on
    13. Wait for the app to finish Installing...
    14. Add a new item to Apple Watch by toggling the option in its details.

*Others have found that reinstalling 1Password for iOS and restarting the iPhone (hold Wake/Sleep and Home) helps, but be sure to backup your data first if you're not using a 1Password.com Account.

Let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• ralphresnik
    ralphresnik
    Community Member

hi again @brenty ... tried the above twice. no luck☹️

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ralphresnik: Thanks for giving it a shot and getting back to me. I had high hopes, but we're not giving up on you! Can you send us a diagnostic report? That should give us some more information so we can figure out what might be causing this in your case:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)*

*In 1Password Settings > Advanced > Diagnostics > Log Settings, enable App, Crypto, Database, Keychain, and Watch App.

Please send it to support+forums@agilebits.com with a link to this discussion and let me know the Support ID you receive. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

• rws
    rws
    Community Member

1) Deleted Apple Watch App on my iPhone. 2) Downloaded new version of Apple Watch app to my iPhone. 3) Re-installed Apple Watch from backup data. 4) Message still reads: "Add items from 1Password on your phone. Requires Apple Watch device PIN"

• rws
    rws
    Community Member
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rws: Thanks for reaching out. Some questions:

1. Do you have the Pro Features in 1Password for iOS?
    2. Have you enabled the watch app in 1Password for iOS Settings?
    3. Do you have a device passcode set on your watch?
    4. Have you selected Add to Apple Watch in any items in 1Password for iOS?

Thanks in advance!

• rws
    rws
    Community Member

Yes, I have Pro Features. 1Password is enabled in iOS settings. There is a passcode set on my Apple Watch. Items in 1Password have "add to Apple Watch" selected.

The only thing that I have not done is restore my unpaired Apple Watch as if new. (I restored it from back up.). I do not imagine that would make a difference.

• ralphresnik
    ralphresnik
    Community Member

hi @brenty ... Support ID [#LTA-27594-285]

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yes, I have Pro Features. 1Password is enabled in iOS settings. There is a passcode set on my Apple Watch. Items in 1Password have "add to Apple Watch" selected.

@rws: Thanks for confirming. Please follow my directions above to send us diagnostics so we can get this sorted out.

The only thing that I have not done is restore my unpaired Apple Watch as if new. (I restored it from back up.). I do not imagine that would make a difference.

That absolutely shouldn't be necessary unless something is just plain wrong with watchOS itself. I doubt that's the case, and I'd hate for you to have to go through all that. We'll get to the bottom of this!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ralphresnik: Thank you! We'll get back to you as soon as we can.

ref: LTA-27594-285

• 2RESE
    2RESE
    Community Member

Is someone still working on a fix for this ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@2RESE: Absolutely! Unfortunately there isn't a single, simple fix, so it wasn't something we could get out quickly like the 6.5.1 update. But we're on the case to get this resolved — hopefully for everyone this time — as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience!

• tmancey
    tmancey
    Community Member

I had the same issue when viewing via the Dock, and to workaround the issue I had to open the application on the Apple Watch then the Dock worked as expected thereafter.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tmancey: Wait, do you mean that you had "ghost" data showing up in 1Password for Apple Watch when it was in the Dock, and removing the app from the Dock resolved the issue? If so, that may be a good clue to what might be going on, if the watch is caching the data because its in the Dock. I'd appreciate any other information you can provide!

• ralphresnik
    ralphresnik
    Community Member

hi @brenty ... any news yet?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ralphresnik: We're working on it, but sadly I don't have any good news to share yet, as we haven't found a satisfactory solution (i.e. one that doesn't break something else). Thanks for your patience. :(

• cohix
    cohix
    1Password Alumni

Hello all,

Brenty asked me to provide an update for you all. We've spent quite a bit of time trying to track down the issue you are all experiencing. We are severely limited in our abilities to debug because at this time, the watch app is not sending diagnostics information back to the phone. We are able to view the logs on our development devices when running the application from Xcode on our Macs, but we are not able to reproduce this issue.

We haven't been able to find any obvious issues with the code, so what we're doing right now is building the ability to send those log messages back to the device to be included in the diagnostics report. Once we have that capability in a beta, we'll invite a few of you into the beta program so we can get some logs from your watches and get a true look at what the underlying issue is. From there we will be able to write an actual fix for the issue, whatever it may be.

Thanks for your patience, I understand it's annoying to not be able to use the watch app, so we're going to release this logging code ASAP.

Cheers,
    Connor

• ralphresnik
    ralphresnik
    Community Member

@brenty and @cohix ... tnx for the update.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

No problem. Hoping to have better news for you soon!

• tallackn
    tallackn
    Community Member

Turned on logging before I followed uninstall/reboot/reinstall steps listed above then sent through diagnostics. Hope they help. Feel free to invite me to beta when you are ready to test with more logging detail. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tallackn: We're hoping to have a beta build with more detailed logging soon. Thanks for letting us know you'd be willing to participate!

• stevent281
    stevent281
    Community Member

I wanted to add that I have had this issue also. I started with watchOS 3.1 and it continued through 3.13. I performed the install/uninstall/restart procedure you posted on another thread, and that did not help.

What eventually helped were this steps:
    1 - Uninstall WatchApp through the Watch (press and hold, tap the X)
    (I'm not sure if this is any different than doing it from the Watch App, but I wanted to try something different)
    2 - Uninstalled 1Password from the phone
    3 - Restarted iPhone (Holding HOME and LOCK)
    4 - Restarting Watch
    5 - Re-installing 1Password on the iPhone (which automatically installed it on the Watch)

Just a note, the latest version of 1Password was already installed on the iPhone, so there was no pending update.

It is really cool having those items at my finger tips on the watch.

Thanks!
    Steve

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

1 - Uninstall WatchApp through the Watch (press and hold, tap the X)
    (I'm not sure if this is any different than doing it from the Watch App, but I wanted to try something different)

@stevent281: Ah, yes. I think you're referring to step 6 in my instructions above. I've definitely found that sometimes "uninstalling" via the Apple Watch iPhone app doesn't work, and that doing it "manually" on the watch itself is necessary. This seems to happen less frequently to me with recent watchOS versions, but it seems to still occur occasionally.

3 - Restarted iPhone (Holding HOME and LOCK)

Interestingly, I've found that shutting down the phone completely sometimes works better. It seems like memory isn't cleared completely when doing the soft restart like you did, but I'm glad that worked in your case!

5 - Re-installing 1Password on the iPhone (which automatically installed it on the Watch)

Ah, interesting. I wonder if that was the key, since that's not something suggested earlier.

It is really cool having those items at my finger tips on the watch.

I use it mostly for TOTP Logins and a few handy Secure Notes that help me remember things frequently, but it certainly helps. I'm glad you're enjoying it, and I appreciate you sharing what worked in your case! :)

• 2RESE
    2RESE
    Community Member

I did what stevent281 posted and it WORKED! :)
    One thing I did that he didn't mention was I deselected "enable apple watch" on the phone before deleting the app.
    After the 1Password app was re-installed, the app showed up on my watch but had the same error "you must add items from watch".
    I went into the iPhone app and re-enabled "enable apple watch" and instantly the items are populated on my watch.
    Awesome!
    Thanks stevent281 and thanks to the Agile Bits team for working on this issue.

• tallackn
    tallackn
    Community Member

2RESE, I tried stevent281's steps with your changes, unenabling in the app first and removing from watch directly. No luck. :(

I'm beginning to think that this is some obscure problem that randomly resolves itself. That'll be why the fantastic guys at agilebits are having such a hard time tracking it down and fixing it.

I wonder, brenty, if agilebits can confirm they have been able to reproduce the problem in the lab at least? That is the first critical step to finding the solution.

• tallackn
    tallackn
    Community Member

ZOMG!!! IT WORKS!!! For some reason during the 5 minutes that it took for me to write that last message and now, it works! Perhaps there was some synchronisation time that needed to be allowed!!!

2RESE, stevent281, brenty, cohix, you are LEGENDS!!!

I was feeling so at risk without the passwords on the watch because my phone was installing iOS update the other day at work (better to use their bandwidth right?) and I could not access my passwords!

I love 1Password! It is AWESOME! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2017

@tallackn: Well, that doesn't make any kind of sense to me, but I'll take it! :lol:

We haven't been able to reproduce this consistently, but we're working to account for different scenarios. I can't prove it, but it really seems like watchOS (and/or iOS) is caching the app, and there's no real way to automatically force it to reload. We've got some ideas though, and we'll figure something out. Thanks so much for letting us know what worked for you. Glad to hear

@2RESE: Awesome! It sounds like step 2 is what made the difference for you, and I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I've made some tweaks to my original post above to reflect everyone's feedback here, so that hopefully it will help others better as well. Thank you! :chuffed:

1Password for Apple Watch troubleshooting (updated)

Edit: Updated again with some changes based on user feedback.

This discussion has been closed.