1Password Families + Ubuntu?

Options
mehaase
mehaase
Community Member
edited July 2017 in Families

I've been using 1Password for a looooong time. Currently running on iOS, MacOS, and Ubuntu — the last one using the Windows client under Wine.

Very interested in 1Password for families, but it looks like the windows client is now Windows 10 only, and can only be obtained from the Microsoft app store? Is it possible to run this version under Wine? If not, any suggested workarounds?

Ubuntu is my main work computer. I can't imagine not having autofill and autosave while I'm working. The old version of 1Password I have (the most recent available for download for Windows) doesn't seem capable of using a 1Password For Families vault. Am I right?

The old Windows client is frustrating to work with: updating a password changes the entire login form so that instead of a username + password, I get old password + 2 new passwords and no username at all. The new web client is really, really slick and I can maybe forgo using autofill ... but I can't imagine using 1Password without autosave. The form details are just too tedious.

tldr: any way to get the win10 client running on ubuntu? if not, is there any master plan for wider platform support, like a chrome extension that can talk to the web client?

AgileBits Update, 6-Jul-2017:

Hello everyone! We've started beta testing a new addition to our 1Password family: a brand new Chrome extension made especially for our Linux and Chrome OS users! To learn about how you can be invited to this private beta testing, please see this announcement:

A Present for Chrome OS and Linux Users

Cheers! :smile:

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @mehaase,

Thanks for taking the time to write in!

but it looks like the windows client is now Windows 10 only, and can only be obtained from the Microsoft app store?

At the moment, that is true. We're working on an application to support Windows 7+. It is likely that browser extensions will come a little later down the road.

The old version of 1Password I have (the most recent available for download for Windows) doesn't seem capable of using a 1Password For Families vault. Am I right?

That is also correct. 1Password 4 for Windows does not and will not have 1Password account support.

The new web client is really, really slick

And that would be our current recommendation.

any way to get the win10 client running on ubuntu? if not, is there any master plan for wider platform support, like a chrome extension that can talk to the web client?

That is something that is being brainstormed, but currently the actual browser extension doesn't do any of the heavy lifting. Moving all of that logic back into the browser (which is how 1Password 3 handled it) would be a huge undertaking, and would mean things like browser updates would more frequently cause problems.

That isn't to say that it is off the table, but it wouldn't be anything for the near future.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• weber85
    weber85
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

Anything new here? We are a web agency, that would like to switch to 1Password Teams, and we have users on Win 7 and Ubuntu, as well as Win10 and Mac.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@weber85 we don't have anything to announce at this time, but we know that Linux support is something our customers would like to see happen one way or another :)

• broward
    broward
    Community Member
    Options

I'm running 1Password for Windows on Ubuntu 14.04 with wine.
    The performance is kind of sucky but overall it works.
    Just logged into to add my vote for a Linux (specifically Ubuntu) version of 1Password, this is the only app I use with Wine.
    An automatic usb sync between Ubuntu and my Android would be nice.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for taking the time to let us know! Duly noted. :+1:

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member
    Options

Another vote of Linux Ubuntu as well.

I notice the 1p chrome extension appears in the browser, but the guys are telling me it doesn't work - is that correct? Do you need the full app to use the chrome extension (as the extension would be a handy starting place)

Tim

• Ben
    Options

Hi @365nice

The browser extensions cannot work independently of the main application at the moment.

Ben

• ThomasPurchas
    ThomasPurchas
    Community Member
    Options

Another vote for Linux. Would love to push 1Password out to our entire team, but most are working in Linux environments.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ThomasPurchas

Thank you for letting us know what you'd like to see in 1Password, we appreciate it! :chuffed:

• penguinpower
    penguinpower
    Community Member
    Options

My work uses 1password, and my wife and I have an account as well. Its great, but until you get ubuntu support, I will always be on the lookout for a better alternative.

• Thanks for the feedback. The closest thing we have to Linux support right now is 1Password.com, which can be accessed in most modern browsers. It has some limitations, the main one being no support for a browser extension which means you won't be able to fill passwords on the web. Copy and paste works though. You're welcome to give that a try if you'd like. :)

• mario_suitepad
    mario_suitepad
    Community Member
    Options

I just joined as a lead on a team already using 1password. I loved the idea of experimenting with 1password, but have been held back as a Linux Mint user. I'm actually using a competing solution on a personal level, and have have moved 3 teams from using nothing to using it - maybe 50 people so far. While the raw number of users of your Linux client might be low, I'll wager that like myself, Linux users have an outsized influence on the tech decisions.

Sadly, without a Linux client, or a browser plugin that works without this client (as my personal solution does), I'll most likely be moving my new team to the other solution before we expand our usage from the 8 person dev team to the 50 person company. We actually only have two users who even need linux support, myself and one other dev. However, we have to support them too. As mentioned, Linux usage probably has a massively outsized role in decision making vs the raw number of users. I'd highly recommend exploring this option even if our company is no longer a 1password subscriber.

P.S. It would be nice if we could vote on features. I saw another 30 page thread of people +1 the Linux idea. I regret I was essentially doing the same.

• Thanks @mario_suitepad. I do wish we had something for you and others — I mean, we'd love a large team to be using 1Password :) — but at the moment the development focus is elsewhere. It's good to know there's this kind of interest, which is why we keep threads like this open and alive. We want to hear from people, we want the perspective, and we do know this is a big request.

As for a feature voting system, it's a cool idea. I wanted it when I first started here because it seemed like something a hip company would do for their users. And hip companies are doing that. The thing is, as they get more users, it gets difficult to manage. Scaling is a challenge for everyone, and it's something a company like Apple has been noted for doing well. Right now, our support team is working hard to help out our users when they need us. A feature voting system is a cool thing to have when we are able to help out all our users as quickly as we'd like, and we're just not there yet. When we are, other challenges may arise.

So the short version of that is we've thought about it, and it's better for a team of our size to evaluate features internally. You're always welcome to suggest things in this forum or via email though — we're here to hear and discuss what you have. Thanks for caring about 1Password's future. :)

• digitalfiz
    digitalfiz
    Community Member
    Options

While I think a Linux app would be super useful and should definately be developed I feel you guys should reinvest in the browser extensions and make them fully stand alone so the OS doesn't matter. I am sorry but the browser updates/possible breakage argument is a bit weak.

Yes by just opening a local websocket via the app and making the browser extension communicate locally over that websocket does make the extension much simpler and does cut down on the code you have to manage and the saying going every line of code is a potential bug but... A fully functioning browser extension really does put you guys in a much simpler place also and makes it so you support so many more platforms...

• Hi @digitalfiz,

I'd love it if we had a standalone extension. It would help us with a few different problems, one of which.. like you said... we'd nearly instantly support many more platforms. There's some interesting problems that come along with it, but in the grand scheme of things I'd say that browser updates/possible breakage is one of the smaller ones. I'd love to see us take this on one day. I think I'd like to return to my Linux roots one day, and having something like that would certainly make it easier.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.