Bug: Generated passwords are in the trash of the wrong vault

Options
pervel
pervel
Community Member

A few days ago I changed passwords on three different sites. They all had login entries in one of my vaults other than the Personal. The Personal vault is selected as "Vault for Saving" however I had explicitly changed to the correct vault for this password change exercise. I used the auto-fill feature of the Chrome extension to update the passwords. All seemed to go well and the passwords were correctly updated in the correct vault.

However, I did notice that the auto-generated passwords were not placed in the trash but didn't think much of it at the time. Now a few days later I discover that the three auto-generated passwords are in the Personal vault. That does not seem like reasonable behaviour. Can you look into this please?

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.2.90
OS Version: 10.12.2
Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pervel,

Thank you very much for taking the time to report the problem you noticed! The reason the generated Password items are created in the Personal vault (i.e. the "Vault for Saving") is because they were created before you selected a different vault in the 'Save Login' dialog. So that part is actually working as expected.

But you definitely found a problem: Once you saved the Logins, the corresponding Password items should have been removed from the Passwords category in your Personal vault. Instead, the three Passwords items were left there, where you discovered them a few days later. I submitted a ticket for this bug to our developers.

Thanks again for letting us know! If you have more questions about that or need anything else, we're here for you. Have a great weekend! :)

ref: OPM-4748

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member
    Options

The three generated passwords were indeed in the trash of the Personal vault. I assume they were saved in the Passwords category first and then automatically deleted when the login items in the other vault were updated.

As such you can argue that it's not a bug but a design flaw. It's certainly surprising and (at least for me) very annoying that something I do in one vault "spills over" to another vault. I created the other vault precisely because I wanted to keep these things separate. This becomes particularly important since it is impossible to fully delete anything in a vault with the new accounts model.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pervel

Thank you for the clarification on what the behavior :chuffed: I think what you mean is that if you've selected a vault for viewing you'd want the password to be stored there instead of in the vault that you've selected as default for saving, is this correct? If so it's an interesting idea that we for sure might consider in the future. Maybe something like "Save in the selected vault, fall on the default if you're on all vaults view" :chuffed: Thanks for your input and for letting us know what you'd like to see in 1Password!

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member
    Options

Saving to the selected vault would probably solve the problem in most cases. But just to make it clear, I think the main problem is that you don't have control over where the Password Generator saves the generated password. You're not asked to save it. It just saves it for you in the default vault. So yes, if it had saved it to the selected vault, it would have behaved as I expected in this case.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pervel

Thank you for your answer :chuffed: I'll pass your suggestion along to our developers. Just so you know, this behavior is there as a fail safe in case you forget to save the password yourself or you're not using it on a site that would prompt it, etc... the moment the password gets on the clipboard a password item is generated. It has saved me a couple of times! :scream:

This discussion has been closed.