How should I save these things

Options
RCMjr
RCMjr
Community Member

I'm new enough to 1PW and I'm trying to use the app as best as possible. In light of that, how do I want to store things like:

• my auto insurance ID card
  • my auto registration number
  • my car's VIN number
  • a registration number for Microsoft, for example
  • a password I have for an Excel sheet or Quicken (on my computer, not online)

Should all of these go into one Secure Note, multiple Secure Notes? A Document? (I'm not 100% sure on what a Document is.)

Finally, I'm not sure how I would use a Reward Program. I have a Southwest Airlines member number which I use to earn rewards, but I have to log on to their site with a username and password in order to have the opportunity to earn rewards. So I'm not sure how to take advantage of that login.

Thanks for the help.

Chip

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.2.90 4.6.2
OS Version: OS 10.12.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@RCMjr ,

Here's the way I look at it:

1. Use the most specific category you can when it exists (if it make sense). Otherwise, use other other standard, generic categories (e.g. Memberships), that approximate the basic concept of what the info is all about. When all else fails, fall back to Secure Notes.
    2. Memberships are good for things that are simply names/identifier + numbers, like medical insurance numbers, auto insurance ID cards, etc. Add any custom fields you want to store things like Group or Policy #'s.
    3. For things that are purely informational, with no real security value, use Secure Notes. This would be a good place for your Auto's VIN, registration numbers, etc.
    4. For simple passwords (without a URL or username), you can use the Password category, or you can use a Login, sans the URL / username. Once there's a username or URL, use Login. A combination lock would fit here nicely. One caveat - Password entrys are created when you Generate a new password, so that area can become cluttered with temporary things. Be sure to clean it out if you use Passwords for your own purposes.
    5. Think about how you will use a record - separate out bank account info into a Bank Accounts record for account and routing #s, phone numbers, bank name, contacts, etc. and a Login for the bank's website. Use identical titles, and find them via search or filtering. Rarely do you ever use the two at the same time.
    6. Reward programs to me are semi-useless categories. The really are just Memberships, with a few extra fields. Probably these are legacy categories that essentially copied what other password managers had done. But use them if you want. You could just add a field in a Login to store the membership number, so that you have just one record.

Hope this helps a bit!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RCMjr: I'll second everything MrC said, with some emphasis here:

Think about how you will use a record

Now, I realize that may seem unreasonable since you're new to 1Password and maybe don't know all of the details of how you might use it. But, when in doubt, reach out! If you have an idea of what you're trying to do, give an example and AgileBits staff or other long-time 1Password users (like MrC!) can make suggestions on how best to utilize 1Password for your purposes. :chuffed:

I'll also add that there is no right or wrong way to use 1Password. Well, unless you're trying to have 1Password fill login credentials, then using a Login item will always be the "right" answer. ;)

But ultimately you can organize things in the way that makes the most sense to you. Personally, I use Logins for a membership/rewards account where I need to login to their website, and then often have a separate "Membership" or "Rewards" item with the account number, since that is sometimes needed. I think Southwest is a great example for that. But you could also have a single Login item with the rewards number saved in Notes or a custom field. It's up to you, but we're here to help too! :)

• RCMjr
    RCMjr
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, guys, for the info. You've given me some ideas here to work with.

I'm sure I'll be back with more.

Chip

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RCMjr On behalf of MrC and brenty you're welcome. We're here for you, so if you need anything else, just ask! :)

This discussion has been closed.