Exporting information from Dashlane to 1Password,but need a plan to deal with duplicate entries

Options
mrdawoudw
mrdawoudw
Community Member

I used to use Dashlane and started using 1 Password on my Mac (MBP 2016). I did a export of Dashlane earlier last year but then I could not get 1Password to work as I was used to so I went back to Dashlane. I have recently started using 1Password again but I am missing passwords, etc due to having gone back to Dashlane for a brief period. I plan to export the passwords from Dashlane and import to 1Password but I know there will be duplicates. How can I handle this problem succinctly and with some finality?
P.S. I have purchased 1Password for Families but have yet to start using it, if that info is of any benefit.

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: 6.5.3 (653000)
OS Version: OS X 10.12.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mrdawoudw: 1Password won't be able to decide for you which versions of your data are "correct" unfortunately; that will be up to you. But unless I'm misunderstanding, it sounds like it may be best to start with a clean slate in 1Password, and simply import all of your existing data. But either way, you picked a really good week to undertake this. We've just added some import features to 1Password.com that you might appreciate. Just go to your account menu and select "Import", or login to your account here to check it out. ;)

• mrdawoudw
    mrdawoudw
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, Brent I get what your saying but I think that I am in between a rock and a hard place as I have some data in Dashlane that is not in 1password and I have some data that is in 1Password that is not in Dashlane. Perhaps I should import all my data into Dashlane and then export all that out and start fresh with 1 Password.
    I do have one question though, when you say log into your account, I am using 1Password on the Mac so are you referring to inputting my Master Password to get in to the app or logging-in to a cloud based account? Thanks for your help.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mrdawoudw,

Hmm, yes it sounds like one way or another, you'll have to either go through some duplicates after importing your data into 1Password, or possibly clean up items in each app beforehand.

Perhaps I should import all my data into Dashlane and then export all that out and start fresh with 1 Password.

I might be misunderstanding what you mean, but if you want all your data to end up in 1Password, exporting it from 1Password to another app first and then importing everything back into 1Password sounds like more work. Is it easier for you to clean up duplicate items in Dashlane? If so, I can see how that might be a good option for you.

Otherwise, if cleaning up duplicates would be about the same amount of work either way, I think it probably makes more sense to just import your data to 1Password and clean things up there. You can arrange all your items by title and go through the list, and delete the duplicates that have the older info (or if they're identical, keep either one).

I do have one question though, when you say log into your account, I am using 1Password on the Mac so are you referring to inputting my Master Password to get in to the app or logging-in to a cloud based account?

Brenty was referring specifically to signing into your Families account on the 1Password.com website (it sounds like you haven't added that account to the 1Password app on your Mac yet). On the website, there's an import option that helps to export data from the Dashlane app and import it into 1Password, but I don't think that will necessarily make it easier to sort all the duplicates. It just makes the actual import process a bit easier.

Whatever you decide, let us know how it goes and if you have more questions about that! :)

This discussion has been closed.