1password causing server connection error (Sync to unavailable shared folder)

Options
mkreuzerdan
mkreuzerdan
Community Member
edited November 2016 in Mac

Hello everybody.

I've configured 1password to sync with a folder on a network share. A few days ago, I've changed the name of my share and since then, I get frequently messages from OSX that it's not possible to establish a connection to the old share. Obvious, because the old share doesn't exist anymore.

I've found out, that the error message is caused by 1password, trying to sync to the old share. I've tried to change the sync settings but when I go to 1password->preferences->sync the tab is empty (also there are no passwords showing).

Maybe you can fix this issue in the future, so there might be a possibility to remove sync settings within the preferences tab.

But for now: Is there any way to delete the sync settings WITHOUT resetting 1password completely?

Thank you very much

Regards
Daniel

1Password Version: 6.5.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.12
Sync Type: Folder

Comments

• Hi @mkreuzerdan ,

I'm sorry to hear about that. Try this: quit 1Password by holding down the control key while selecting Quit 1Password and 1Password mini from the 1Password menu.

Then start 1Password again. Does that help?

If not, please let us know.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• anthonys
    anthonys
    Community Member
    Options

I have a very similar problem. I too was using a network share, and I have taken my laptop away from the network on which the share was on. Now whenever I start up 1Password, I cannot login (login just hangs) and if I go to the preferences to try and remove the share setting, there is nothing (just like the original poster). I have tried the control-quit and also restarted my laptop, and nothing helps... just keeps periodically popping up the dialog box.

Is there any way I can go remove the share setting via a preference files or via and sqlite database or anything to allow it to get passed this login issue? I am proficient in using the tools required do this sort of thing if you are able to give the location/tables etc. I need to look at.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@anthonys: You should be able to find it easily in the prefs file since you know the path you were using. You're looking for something like this in ~/Library/Preferences/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper.plist:

<key>SyncMonitor_59F637582DA6434AAEED0706EEA7551C</key>
        <dict>
            <key>kIsOnRemovableVolume</key>
            <integer>0</integer>
            <key>kKeychainPath</key>
            <string>~/Dropbox/1Password.opvault</string>

Also, be sure you're using the latest release of 1Password. Since Kevin's suggestion didn't help, it sounds like you may have an outdated version that doesn't have those improvements. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• anthonys
    anthonys
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the info. After deleting the key/dictionary, it has allowed me to login into the vault again and also see the preferences for syncing.

Regarding versions, I was using 6.5.2 when this started happening, and upgrading to 6.5.3 did not help. Interestingly enough, the 'kIsOnRemovableVolume' was already set to 1 in my plist file.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Right. In my case, this is pointing to a local Dropbox folder, which is why it's set to 0. 1Password doesn't support network volumes, but it can at least detect that that's what it is. Glad that helped! :)

• jonswaff
    jonswaff
    Community Member
    Options

My "VICTR" vault points to a network volume. The IP address of the server changed and I see many "There was a problem connecting to the server" dialogs. I attempt to change the sync location in Preferences but I am not allowed to change anything for any of my 4 vaults. I tried a variety of changes to my prefs file but nothing helps. I also held down the control key while quitting 1Password and that did not change anything. Any thoughts on what I can try?

Using 1Password v6.5.3 from Mac App Store

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jonswaff: Whaaat :dizzy:

Okay, there's clearly something amiss there. It sounds like the best thing to do would be to backup your data and then start over. That should clear the settings, which seem to have become damaged somehow, and then you can setup each vault from the 1Password menu and configure sync with the correct locations.

If you're still having trouble after that, the best thing to do will be to restart your Mac and then generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Please send it to support+forums@agilebits.com with a link to this discussion and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• jonswaff
    jonswaff
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Thanks. I sent in my diagnostics report. The Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data menu option was disabled so I couldn't start over.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jonswaff,

We've received your email with the diagnostics; thanks for sending that in. We'll keep the conversation going there and respond to you soon. Cheers!

ref: UHH-31994-332

This discussion has been closed.