Google Chrome code signature could not be verified

Options
Mark Blumenthal
Mark Blumenthal
Community Member

1Password was functioning appropriately for me in filling passwords in Google Chrome until a few days ago. Now, any attempt to fill a password brings up the error message: "Cannot Fill Item in Google Chrome - Google Chrome is connected but its code signature could not be verified [omitting the rest]"

I have tried both steps in the troubleshooting guide, including restarting Chrome and restarting my Mac multiple times, to no avail.

For what it's worth, 1Password continues to work and fill passwords correctly in Safari.

Any further guidance on what to do next?

1Password Version: 6.2.1 (Mac App Store)
Extension Version: 4.5.5.90
OS Version: OS X 10.11.4
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb:code-signature, kb:configure-sophos

Comments

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Mark,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this. Can you confirm that you're using the latest version of Google Chrome (not a Chromium install) and that Google Chrome is saved to your Applications folder? Typically, when we encounter issues with Google Chrome it's because the app is caught up in an update, which causes problems with 1Password's verification of its code signature.

• x509v3
    x509v3
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem - Google Chrome on Mac is not in the middle of an update. I restarted it just to be sure, and confirmed in the "about chrome..." window that it is "up to date".

However, when I try to use the shortcut to fill in passwords, I get the error: "1Password can't verify the identity of your web browser". etc

1Password 6
    Version 6.3.1.BETA-2 (631002)
    AgileBits Beta

Chrome on Mac:
    Version 51.0.2704.63 (64-bit)

Google Chrome is up to date.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@x509v3 have you restarted 1Password and 1Password mini by clicking 1Password 6, holding Control, then clicking "Quit 1Password and 1Password mini"?

• x509v3
    x509v3
    Community Member
    Options

I didn't know about that key shortcut. I just did that, and am getting the same error message from Chrome.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @x509v3,

Thanks for trying that. Since it didn't help, please make sure you check out the other suggestions here: If 1Password cannot fill an item in your browser because its code signature or identity could not be verified

Do any of those help? If not, what exact version of the 1Password extension is installed in Chrome?

Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• x509v3
    x509v3
    Community Member
    Options

Hi - yes, I tried all of those things first.

Here's what Google Chrome says:

• 1Password: Password Manager and Secure Wallet 4.5.6.90
    • Google Chrome Mac Version 51.0.2704.63 (64-bit)
  • Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @x509v3! You previously mentioned that you're using the beta version of the 1Password app, but it looks like you're using the stable release of the browser extension. I don't know for sure if that's related to the problem or not, but when using the beta app, we also recommend using the beta extension. To install the beta extension:

The latest beta version of the 1Password app is currently 6.3.1.BETA-4, so please also make sure you've installed that (from the main 1Password app, go to 1Password > Check for Updates).

Finally, it looks like the latest stable version of Chrome is now 51.0.2704.79 (64-bit), so please go to Chrome > About Google Chrome to check for an update and click the button to restart Chrome if necessary.

Does that help?

• x509v3
    x509v3
    Community Member
    Options

Installing the beta extension fixed it. I don't remember switching to the Stable version, but clearly I did at some point.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. I can imagine switching to the stable version if a particularly obnoxious bug was impacting your workflow, but I'm glad to hear that the current beta is working well for you. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

• juancrubio
    juancrubio
    Community Member
    Options

Ahhh I was having exactly the same problem, none of the other fixes worked for me. Finding this thread was instrumental, i installed the beta app and the chrome extension started working properly again. Thank you for this and for the great product!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm glad to hear that helped! Just make sure you update Chrome as well. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.