Bought a 2015 iMac to replace the 2007 model. Anything special needed to transfer 1PW?

PatrickHenry
PatrickHenry
Community Member

I will transfer all data from old (2007) iMac to new MK824LL/A. Is anything extra required to transfer 1PW?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@PatrickHenry: You'll want to transfer your existing vault, unless you'd prefer to start over. The easiest way to do this is by syncing, but without some basic information it's hard to say exactly what steps you need to take. Please tell me the OS, 1Password, and device versions you're using, and the sync method so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. Thanks in advance! :)

• PatrickHenry
    PatrickHenry
    Community Member

Hello again Brent. The OS is Sierra 10.12.2; 1PW Extension 4.6.2; 1PW 6, Version 6.0.1. I Plan to sync the 2 iMacs directly or, possibly. sync
    from backup hard drive to new iMac. Connection will be a bit different as old iMac has Firewire capability and new iMac has Thunderbolt. I have been assured by Apple that it is OK ti connect via an adaptor wire.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@PatrickHenry: Oh yeah, totally! You can copy the vault over manually via Firewire/Thunderbolt connection, but if you're planning on syncing your data anyway, it'll be easier to just set that up:

1Password sync options

If you're using only Apple devices, iCloud is quick and easy; whereas Dropbox is cross-platform. However, you may want to consider a 1Password subscription, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data:

1Password.com

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• PatrickHenry
    PatrickHenry
    Community Member

Brent, just to make sure I am reading this correctly: If I use Migration Assistant to copy all data from old to new machine, I need not do anything further with 1PW. I think I understand that It will transfer as all the other data does. Under "1Password sync options (above) you
    mention that I might want to consider a 1Password subscription. This I really don't understand as I already have a subscription - what would be different and would I have multiple 1PW licenses?. Now for the really dumb question - you refer to the "vault." Does "vault" mean all the info I have in 1Password? Thanks in advance.

• I can't guarantee that Migration Assistant will correctly move your 1Password data over, as it is an Apple process, and not something we have control of. I haven't personally used it, so I cannot speak from personal experience there. We'd recommend either migrating your data to a 1Password.com subscription account:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Or setting up syncing, as Brenty described above.

A vault is a container that your encrypted 1Password data is stored in, yes.

You do not currently have a subscription (at least, not under the email address you use here on the forums). A subscription is different from a license. What a subscription gives you is the ability to always use the latest version and all features of all of our 1Password apps. It also means not having to worry about things like sync and backup and migration. You simply sign into your 1Password account from any device and any data you've stored in your 1Password account is available to you. With a subscription purchasing licenses is no longer required.

Thanks.

Ben

• PatrickHenry
    PatrickHenry
    Community Member

Ben, thanks for the info. Can you tell me where I would find details about 1PW subscription?
    Thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@PatrickHenry: You can find a lot of information about the 1Password.com subscription service on our website, but we're also happy to answer any questions you might have. Let us know! :)

This discussion has been closed.