ICloud Keychain

peter1942
peter1942
Community Member

If I am using 1Password do you recommend that I set up iCloud Keycain on my new Macbook Pro?

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @peter1942,

Thanks for reaching out to us with your question! I'm not sure I'll be able to give a definitive answer though, as iCloud Keychain and 1Password aren't meant as replacements for each other. They each have many features, only some of which are for the same purpose.

For example, on a Mac, iCloud Keychain (or Keychain Access) is very integrated with the OS so it is able to automatically keep track of Wi-Fi access points, Certificates, Keys, and other things that happen in the background that you would typically expect the OS to take care of (or which many users might not be aware of at all). Basically, it does a lot of things that I would consider to be functions of the operating system.

On the other hand, 1Password gives you arguably more control over the data you fill on websites, the ability to store pretty much any kind of data you want to securely keep track of, and is more flexible in terms of its sync options, supported platforms, and supported web browsers.

Where they mainly intersect in terms of functionality is in the filling of web forms. What I would recommend is to disable Safari's built-in password manager and autofill feature, as that's what you'll be using 1Password for instead. You can find steps to do that here: Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

I hope this helps, but please let us know if you have more questions! :)

• peter1942
    peter1942
    Community Member

Excellent answer

• ag_TJLuoma
    ag_TJLuoma
    1Password Alumni

Hi @peter1942

Thanks! That was a pretty excellent answer from Drew.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can do.

This discussion has been closed.