iCloud backup

Options
factory
factory
Community Member

Hi,
Please advice the need for 1password to have its own in-app backup since backup is already enabled by default in iCloud backups.
If I disable the iCloud backup in iCloud's settings and just enable the in-app backup, will I be able to restore all my passwords if I get a new device by using restore from iCloud. Thanks.

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @factory,

We've found iCloud's backup system does not reliably back up and restore 1Password data. The best way to avoid a difficulty is to use a 1Password.com subscription account. That way whenever you get a new device you simply login to your 1Password account and all of your data is accessible.

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

There are a lot of other advantages to an account as well, which you can read about here:

What is the difference between a 1Password account and a standalone license?

That said if you'd rather stick with the older method you can make your own 1Password backups following this guide:

1Password backups

I hope that helps!

Ben

• factory
    factory
    Community Member
    Options

I know you have the 1password account available for subscription. I hope that you can be impartial to both subscribed and non subscribed users. You did not answer my question at all.
    Please allow me to ask you again.
    If I disable 1password backup in the settings of the backup of iOS to iCloud and just have the in-app backup to iCloud enabled, will I be able to restore my passwords to a new device using iCloud restore. Thanks.

• Ben
    Options

We definitely strongly feel a 1Password account provides the best experience. So in that regard we are not and cannot be impartial, no. But of course we'll still try to help folks who opt to use 1Password standalone.

I believe I misunderstood your question, at least in part, and I also believe it is due to a difference in terminology. Please bear with me a moment. A backup is different than sync. If you are using the standalone version of 1Password (no subscription) and want a backup then you'll need to follow the guide I linked above. If you want to sync your 1Password data, such that the encrypted data is stored with iCloud and kept up to date on multiple devices, you can set up syncing with iCloud:

How to sync 1Password with iCloud

Sorry if it feels like we're discussing semantics a bit here but it is actually an important distinction. Sync doesn't protect you if, for example, you accidentally delete an item. A backup does. But either can potentially protect against losing data if a device is replaced (due to loss, damage, an upgrade, or whatever other reason). Ultimately if using the standalone product our recommendation would be to take advantage of both backups and sync.

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.