Failing to call the addressee

Pandatol
Pandatol
Community Member

Why do my 1password entries sometimes fail to call an addressee and have to be deleted and then re-entered to become functional again? Is there a more convenient way two re-establish them and what causes the to 'fail' in the first place?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I often find an entry loses its ability to call the addressee. I then have to delete it and re=enter it. Should I have to do this and is there a quicker way and why does it do this please?

Comments

• Hi @Pandatol,

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "call an addressee"? Are you at a web page and trying to fill by choosing a 1Password item from the menu or keyboard shortcut Command \? What happens when it fails? Do you receive an error message?

Thanks,
    Kevin

• Pandatol
    Pandatol
    Community Member

Thank you,
    I'm sorry, I have difficulty explaining. I have two problems:-

(1) I select a webpage I want to open. Nothing happens, the webpage does'nt appear.

or

(2) The webpage opens but the ID and password are no longer inserted even though they used to be.

Am I doing something wrong to cause these errors and is there an easy way to correct it please? As it is I have to completely delete the item and start all over again.

Thanks, Paul

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Pandatol,

When you say you "select a webpage I want to open", do you mean you open a website from the list of Bookmarks in your web browser? Or you type the website address in the address bar? If so, 1Password doesn't have anything to do with that - once the page loads, you would need to click the 1Password extension and choose the Login item for that site (or use the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut) to have 1Password fill your username/password on that site.

On the other hand, do you mean you click on a website URL in a Login item from within the 1Password app (or 1Password mini / browser extension)? If so, and if doing that fills your username/password on some sites but not others, please follow these steps to save a new Login item for a site where you're having that problem. Does the new Login item work correctly?

• Pandatol
    Pandatol
    Community Member

Dear Drew, thank you for your interest. I am having difficulty understanding your questions though.
    What you mean by 'click the 1Password extension' for instance? I have the Safari extension installed but where do I 'click' it?

Usually what happens to me is this:-
    (1 ) I include a website, with ID and password into my 1password list.
    (2) It works fine for a while, opening the website and inserting the ID and password.
    (3) Then suddenly it stops inserting the ID & password, just finding the website leaving me to enter the items manually.
    (4) Or worse still it stops even opening the website altogether.
    (5) I then have to delete it from the 1password list entirely and start again.
    This has happened on a number of occasions with different entries.

I usually include the entry in 1Password by typing it into the address bar and 1Password picks it up and offers me the opportunity to include it. I think when it is my second attempt after having been through items (1) to (5) it doesn't seem to offer me the same opportunity and I have to enter it completely manually.

I tried "following these steps to save a new login item" but step 4 'click the gear item and 'save new login' option does not appear in my gear dropdown display.

All very confusing!

Pandatol

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Pandatol,

I'm sorry this has been so confusing! Thank you for the additional information - I think we're much closer to sorting this out.

What you mean by 'click the 1Password extension' for instance? I have the Safari extension installed but where do I 'click' it?

If you have the 1Password extension installed in Safari, you should see a 1Password button somewhere in Safari's toolbar at the top. It looks like this:

It looks the same as the 1Password mini icon in your Mac's toolbar, but appears in Safari's toolbar. If you don't see that button in Safari, that could mean either the extension isn't installed, or you just need to customize Safari's toolbar so you can see it. Please follow the steps here: If you don't see the 1Password button in your browser's toolbar

(2) It works fine for a while, opening the website and inserting the ID and password.

I'm still unsure how you are opening the website. Can you please describe the exact steps you take to do that?

I tried "following these steps to save a new login item" but step 4 'click the gear item and 'save new login' option does not appear in my gear dropdown display.

Do you mean you can click on the gear icon and see a menu, but there's no option there for 'Save new Login'? If so, are you clicking the 1Password icon in your Mac's menubar or in Safari's toolbar? If you click on 1Password mini in the Mac's menubar, then click the gear icon, but don't have an option to save a new Login, that could mean the 1Password extension isn't installed in Safari, or you have a different app open when you try to do that.

If the 1Password extension is installed in Safari but you're still having trouble using it to fill your username/password on a website, please let us know some more details about your setup:

Thanks in advance! :)

This discussion has been closed.