To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

frozen - frustrated

Options

Hi 1Pass Team. I really believe in this company, but I'm pretty frustrated because features that were once purchased with my apps (Mac and iOS) are unusable now that my 1Password Family account is frozen. The point of a Family free trial is to see if you like it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd have to redownload the apps, transfer the data back, resync with dropbox and then create a shared folder for my wife and I to have access. That's just not the route I want to go. There are reasons I went with the family account: 1) The Family account easier to use, share info, and more secure, among other reasons 2) I support the company
What's so frustrating about this is that once the account is frozen, it won't populate website logins with the click of a button, a feature that I already paid for with the apps. This seems somewhat coercive to have me begin my membership with Families immediately. Sure, I still have access to my account data and I understand freezing account features such as creating new logins, but to take away browser fill-in for logins I've already created, a feature so crucial to navigating the web quickly and securely, is like dangling a cherry to make sure I upgrade to Families.
Before I started my free trial, I asked for a refund through private support email because I missed original extended free trial offer, at which point I was offered a partial credit of the apps I purchased for iOS and Mac on my Family account. Understandable. I was hoping that you could have extended the 6 month free trial. This experience makes me feel that at a bare minimum, I should be refunded the total cost of the apps.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @matthewfrankel! Thanks for posting about this. I'm sorry to hear the experience hasn't gone well. Let's get a few things cleared up.

The point of a Family free trial is to see if you like it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd have to redownload the apps, transfer the data back, resync with dropbox and then create a shared folder for my wife and I to have access.

You can migrate back from a family account using the apps you already have installed. You would need to transfer your data back, of course, and set it up to sync and share in Dropbox as it was before.

What's so frustrating about this is that once the account is frozen, it won't populate website logins with the click of a button, a feature that I already paid for with the apps.

That's correct. When your trial expires, you can still access all your data, but some of the main app functions are limited and you won't be able to add or edit items. 1Password Families is paid with a subscription, after all, so the account freezes if one isn't active. Again, you don't have to subscribe if you don't want to — that's your choice.

Before I started my free trial, I asked for a refund through private support email because I missed original extended free trial offer, at which point I was offered a partial credit of the apps I purchased for iOS and Mac on my Family account. Understandable. I was hoping that you could have extended the 6 month free trial. This experience makes me feel that at a bare minimum, I should be refunded the total cost of the apps.

I'm sorry there was some confusion here. It looks like your purchase was made back in 2014 in the Mac App Store. Only Apple can issue refunds through that, and it's well outside the 30-day policy for it. We also issue refunds in the AgileBits Store if you purchased there, but it's not possible for us to after 60 days. 1Password Families is a new way of using 1Password and it includes a lot of new features that weren't in the apps before, so there usually isn't credit for upgrading since it's an extension of the features you already purchased.

You're more than welcome to use and pay for 1Password the way that best fits you. If you'd like to continue to use the purchase you made in 2014, I can help you move back to the standalone version. If you want to use your family account, there's some credit in it for your previous purchase and you can subscribe. Let us know what we can do to help you get where you want to go. :)

• matthewfrankel
    matthewfrankel
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the response and info Jacob. I'll go ahead and sign up for Families now. Just as some friendly feedback, I think there should be a clearer way to migrate data back after the trial, directly viewable on the frozen pop-up. I know 1Pass wants users to choose what's best for them (account subscription v. apps) but of course getting users over to the subscription model makes more sense for the company. After all, it's more secure and convenient, which is why I'm making the switch. I wish there was something you would do beyond the credit already extended for loyal users like myself, who have been around since 2014. Knowing we can still use our apps to share data among family members (i.e. a family vault through dropbox) but still upgrading to a subscription model, no matter how Families differ from the apps, shows support for a growing company by contributing on a monthly basis. Have a good weekend @Jacob and thanks again.

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Jacob you're welcome! :) I'm glad to hear you find our Family plan useful and of course your contribution is much appreciated! We're very happy to help anyone who wants to go back after the trial. :)

• methejim
    methejim
    Community Member
    Options

I second this user's frustration. They offer you a free trial and then coerce you into keeping the monthly-fee base. I don't have time to eff about figuring out how to migrate back to something I never agreed to leave!
    Although I will also echo the comment regarding how totally professional the support staff are. What they lose sight of is that most of us don't want to become proficient in yet another application. We just want to click on it, or an option within it, and be done. The mon ey is not the issue. On examining my old receipts I find I have actually paid the 3 times for this one app!
    I intend to find another app and never use this again.

• methejim
    methejim
    Community Member
    Options

"You can migrate back from a family account using the apps you already have installed. You would need to transfer your data back, of course, and set it up to sync and share in Dropbox as it was before."
    That's not exactly helpful advice. It is in fact WRONG. I can't do that - because I don't know how. Once again Agile support staff think we live and breathe their application! Can you please show me how?

• methejim
    methejim
    Community Member
    Options

Update. In my technology-challenged way I deleted the old app and downloaded a new one. Magically after installing it it recognized my master password opened and contained all my data. AND IS STILL FROZEN!!!

• Hi @methejim - Thank you for contacting us and I apologize for the troubles. I just sent you over an email so we can work on this together. At your convenience, reply back to me and we can continue the conversation over there. I look forward to working with you. Talk to you soon :-)

ref: GCS-87692-948

This discussion has been closed.