Couldn't connect to 1Password

logansmith
logansmith
Community Member

I downloaded 1password about 10 days ago. I initially could not get the browser extension to work on chrome so I tried safari and that worked perfectly. 2 days ago I tried logging into my bank account through the browser extension and I got redirected to a page that said "Couldn't connect to 1password. Make sure you have the 1password app installed." I am running the most current version of 1Password as well as the extension.
I have tried deleting and reinstalling the extension, restarting my computer, deleting and reinstalling 1password, and everything else I can find online and nothing works. I really loved 1password for the few days that I got it to work, but if the browser extension doesn't work then I don't want to use it.
Please let me know if there is something that I can do to get this to work.

Logan

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: OS X El Capitan 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• logansmith
    logansmith
    Community Member

I will be deleting 1password due to the lack of response or help from customer service. You just lost a paying customer.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @logansmith,

I'm very sorry you're having some trouble with the 1Password extension in Safari! I'm also sorry you didn't hear back from us as quickly as you had hoped, but please know that while we do our best to get to every post as soon as possible, this is not a live chat, so you won't receive an immediate response. These support forums are more like "public email" than text messages or live chatrooms. We generally reply to the oldest threads in the list first and work toward the newest.

If you're willing to give 1Password another shot, we would love the chance to help solve the problem with the extension! It might turn out to be something quite simple. From your description, the 1Password extension is unable to connect to 1Password mini, and there are a few basic things that might cause that. Let's start by checking the following setting:

• Open the main 1Password app and go to 1Password > Preferences in the menubar.
    • Click the General tab.
    • Make sure the option for "Always keep 1Password Mini running" is enabled.

If that option was disabled, that could explain the problem with the extension. On the other hand, if it was already enabled, please try restarting 1Password mini:

• Open the main 1Password app.
    • Go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini in the menubar.
    • Once it restarts, try using the extension in your browser again.
    • If restarting mini doesn't help, please reboot your Mac and try again.

If those suggestions don't help, something is likely blocking the connection between the extension and the app. Are you using any firewalls, proxy servers, antivirus, anti-malware, and/or other security software on your Mac? If so, you can try temporarily disabling them to see if the 1Password extension will work.

In case you haven't already seen it, we have a support article with additional suggestions for solving problems using the extension: If the 1Password extension isn't working in your browser

Some of the suggestions there probably don't apply (for example, you've already checked to make sure you have the latest versions of the app & extension installed), but please try those that do. Let us know how it all goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• logansmith
    logansmith
    Community Member

@Drew_AG, thanks for reaching out to me with some suggestions. I have tried everything that you suggested as well as everything that I could find online but nothing is fixing the problem. I do not have any firewalls, proxy servers, antivirus, anti-malware, or any other security on my mac that should be interfering with the 1password extension. I also have "always keep 1password mini running" enabled.

The extension worked fine just a few days ago but then it just randomly stopped working and has not worked since. I have deleted and re-downloaded the extension several times. I have re-downloaded 1password onto my computer. I tried restarting 1password mini. I have also rebooted my mac several times but nothing has worked. From what I can tell there is absolutely nothing on my computer that should be blocking the extension from connecting to 1password and nothing changed between the time it was working and when it stopped working.

I emailed a diagnostic report to 1password a couple of days ago but I have still not heard anything back from that. I absolutely loved 1password for the few days that I got it to work, but without the browser extension it is too much of a hassle to use.

If there is anything else that I need to try please let me know.

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni

@logansmith - Thanks for your reply. In addition to what Drew_AG already suggested, could you please check that you're running the latest version of Chrome? I know that Chrome is usually silently updates in the background, but it also silently fails sometimes ;)

If that doesn't seem to be the issue, please contact us by email. I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• logansmith
    logansmith
    Community Member

@Roman, I got the results from the diagnostics test and it seems that Qustudio, an internet filter site, is the reason 1Password is having trouble working. I have tried finding a workaround to allow 1Password to work alongside Qustodio but I cannot seem to find one. Do you know if there is an internet filter that does work nicely with 1Password?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @logansmith,

I see that Roman replied to you via email about the diagnostics report you sent us last week, and he explained that Qustodio was likely the cause of the problem. As he mentioned, it seems to block the communication between 1Password and the browser extension even if Qustodio is disabled. Only the complete removal of Qustodio seems to allow 1Password to work properly again.

As far as other internet filter / parental control software, I think most can be configured to allow 1Password to communicate with the extension (and some apps might be pre-configured to do that). If you try one that blocks 1Password, it's usually simple to add an exception to allow it to work, and you can find more information about that here: How to configure your firewall, proxy, or other network software for 1Password

Please let us know if you have more questions about that or need anything else! :)

ref: KZN-72238-557

This discussion has been closed.