Restore old backup in newly installed 1 password?

Sandra1
Sandra1
Community Member

Hello,
I have a backup file from an old 1Password-version (File name: "1Password0100-20170201.1ptbackup") saved on my PC.

Now I havea new iPhone and bought 1Passwort Pro with a other Apple ID again in the Appstore.
How do I get the data from my old backup into the new 1Password on the new iPhone?

Thank you very much if someone can help me

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Sandra1
    Sandra1
    Community Member

Sorry for my bad english, but I urgently need your help

I have 1Password pro in a very old version (3.6.5) on an old iPhone with iOS 7
    Now I have a new iPhone with iOS 10.2.1 and a new Apple ID.
    I have bought 1 Password Pro again and on the new iPhone.

How can I transfer my passwords / backup from the old iPhone to the new iPhone with a new Aplle ID?
    Is this possible without iTunes?

In the old 1-Password> Settings> Database> Backup & Restore, I have an IP to save a backup to the PC or restore from a backup.
    How can I restore the new 1 password (6.5.1) on the new iphone this backup from the PC via the IP address?

THX

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Hi @Sandra1,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. Depending on what version of 1Password you made that backup with... you may be able to import it into the latest version. You can find instructions for that here:

https://support.1password.com/cs/upgrade-ios/#step-2-import-into-the-current-version-of-1password

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Sandra1,

I noticed you opened two separate threads for help with this, so I merged them into the same discussion to avoid confusion.

Hopefully the steps from the link Ben gave you help, but if you have questions about that or run into any problems, just let us know. Cheers! :)

• Sandra1
    Sandra1
    Community Member

Many thanks for your Support!
    @Ben
    I can not open your link (Page not found)

The version of 1Password on the old iPhone is 3.6.5 (from 2012). The backup file ending is .1ptbackup.
    On the new iPhone (iOS 10.2.1) is the version 6.5.1

The backup with the old 1Passwort I have created in the WLAN as follows:
    1Password> Settings> Database> Backup & Restore> Enter the IP address in the browser on the PC and save the backup to the PC

• @Sandra1

Sorry about that! It looks like our docs team moved that link on me after I posted it. The guide can be found at its new home here:

https://support.1password.com/upgrade-ios/#step-2-import-into-the-current-version-of-1password

Unfortunately 3.6.5 is old enough that this may not work. You can certainly give it a shot... worst that happens is it doesn't work. I don't suppose you still have access to the old phone?

Ben

• Sandra1
    Sandra1
    Community Member

Thank you very much for your help Ben!

On the old iphone and the old 1Password I still have access.
    Your link now works fine.
    Is it possible to import this ".1ptbackup" backup file from the old iPhone without iTunes to the new iPhone?
    I do not want to connect the old iPhone with my new iTunes - if possible?

• @Sandra1

The instructions do not involve connecting the old phone to iTunes, just the new. Connecting the new phone to iTunes would be required in this case. Please let me know if it doesn't work properly. We may need to update the 1Password app on the old phone to v3.7.2 and make a new .1ptbackup file before it'll import, but as I mentioned it can't hurt to try what you've already got first.

Ben

• Sandra1
    Sandra1
    Community Member

Ok, I have now tested. But it does not work.

I have the new iPhone with 1Password now connected with iTunes. In the app, 1Password is a folder "backups".
    I can not copy my old backup (1Password0100-20170201.1ptbackup) to the "Backups" folder. I can only copy to the app 1Password.

Here are 2 files:

• Backups (the existing folders)
    • my backup file 1Password0100-20170201.1ptbackup

I go at the new iPhone > 1Password > Settings > Advanced > Restore from backup > from a new backup restore ...here I have no way to select a backup.

What am I doing wrong or can I do now?

• Hey @Sandra1,

I've asked one of my colleagues to take a look at this situation for you. We should be back to you with more information later today. Sorry for the trouble.

Ben

• My apologies @Sandra1, I just spoke with development and they may not have a chance to further investigate this until Wednesday. I've left a note for follow up. Sorry for the delay. :(

Ben

• Sandra1
    Sandra1
    Community Member

Thanks for the help and support!
    I would be glad if you can help me, since I have a lot of entries in the old 1PW

• @Sandra1,

I just spoke with development and they reminded me of an alternative way to approach this. Do you have a Dropbox account? If so please save a copy of your .1ptbackup file in Dropbox. From there instructions for completing the rest of the process can be found here:

Unable to import from 3.7.2 to 6 — AgileBits Support Forum

Please let us know how it turns out. Once you get through this you may want to consider upgrading to a 1Password.com subscription account. That way you'll always have access to the latest versions of all of our applications for all of your devices, and accessing your data is as simple as signing into your account:

What is the difference between a 1Password account and a standalone license?

Ben

• Sandra1
    Sandra1
    Community Member

Ben, you're the best !!!! :-D
    With the tutorial about Dropbox, the import (backup) works well on the new iPhone.

Thank you very much Ben! It is a sensational support here!!!

• Excellent! So glad to hear that worked. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.