Auto Verify Feature Request

Options
icantseemyhead
icantseemyhead
Community Member

I love 1Passwords Family! As the primary organizer, I would LOVE to have a feature that can automatically verify the validity of the existing login items. We have over 900 logins and I know many of them are obsolete. It would be really awesome if I could periodically run some login verification process in 1Password and have it automatically tag the ones that no longer work. That would save me from having to click on 900 logins to see which ones work and which ones don't.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:auto verify

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @icantseemyhead

I love the idea! The problem is that websites don't handle being given incorrect credentials in any sort of standard fashion. In order to do what you're asking we'd have to maintain a huge database of the most popular websites and how they handle a login failure. On top of that we'd have to update that database every time one of them changed their sign-in procedure (which they probably aren't going to notify us of). If they were to change, and we hadn't pushed an update yet, that could generate a false positive which could mark a valid login as invalid.

And even if we were able to do the above well that wouldn't account for more obscure websites. Let's say we could maintain a database of the 1000 most popular websites. That would still leave billions unaccounted for.

While I think this would be great if there were an industry standard for how this would be handled... without such a standard I can only see it causing more harm than good, or not being super helpful at best.

Ben

• icantseemyhead
    icantseemyhead
    Community Member
    Options

Use crowdsourcing + AI? Have 3 tags: verified, invalid, unverified (this is where there masses could help provide success/failure). Admittedly, it may not be a trivial implementation, but you guys have some pretty awesome developers and I do think it would be a killer feature. Maybe something for the "extra credit" backlog ;) BTW, I may be able to help you on the AI side.

• icantseemyhead
    icantseemyhead
    Community Member
    Options

Another idea is to just start out by reporting 404s?

• Hi @icantseemyhead - I appreciate the additional details. As @ben mentioned, it's definitely a great idea so thank you for sharing. I will have to pass this along to the team. Thanks again for letting us know about a feature you will like to see within 1Password. We're always happy to help out and listen. Have a fantastic day :-)

This discussion has been closed.