To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Confused myself I think. How to keep data and share on all devices?

Options

I have: iPhone, office iMac, MacBook Pro (dying), and MacBook Pro (newish). In trying to make sure I can use 1Password on the new MBP, I've gotten confused. Must I now subscribe to 1Password? That is, will storing my agile bits file on Dropbox no longer work, or do you now require this extra sort of fee of $3/month for use of 1Password on more than one device? Ultimately: How may I use 1Password on all my devices? Thanks.

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.5.3 (653000) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Sierra 10.12.3
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Personal license, 1Password 3 is not 1Password 6?

Comments

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member
    Options

No, you don't have to change anything unless you want to. The old sync methods still work just fine. You can read more about the subscription service here:

https://support.1password.com/why-account/

Personally, I have moved from Dropbox sync to a subscription as I think it works better overall. But it's not required.

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2017
    Options

@greenmonkeyblue - @pervel is absolutely right: If the Dropbox setup you already have in place works for you, that's great! Just add your new MBP to the mix. I've been using Dropbox sync in the past too, but I switched immediately, when Family subscriptions became available.

Dropbox setup can be a hassle; with a 1Password account, you just log in and your data is there. But apart from sync there are other advantages:

• Webaccess - That's a great asset if you don't have your devices with you or they got stolen. Or even in the more benign case of an empty battery.
    • No license keys - You will never have to worry about license keys or upgrade pricing again. Just use one 1Password on any device you own. Sign in and you're done.
    • No in-app purchases - Pro features are included.
    • Off-site backup - If a device dies, get a new one, sign in to your 1Password account and you're up-and-running in no time.

Let me know if you need any additional information. I'm here for you. :)

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Just one thing to watch when you start using 1PW on the new machine. The word "account" is used only in connection with the susbscription service.

So when you are initially given the option to set up an account or to continue without an account (I don't recall the exact wording) you need to continue without an account.

• Hi @danco - We appreciate the clarification :-) Thank you for helping out :high-five: Have a great day.

• greenmonkeyblue
    greenmonkeyblue
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks all. I appreciate the info. Mystery was finally solved when I uninstalled whichever version of 1P I had on my (somewhat wonky) University MBP, reinstalled from the App Store by first pretending to buy it, then the system allowed me to download to the University MBP. Now all works well through Dropbox. Case closed.

• Fantastic! Thank you for letting us know @greenmonkeyblue :-) Keep us posted if you have any additional questions.

Have a fantastic day!

This discussion has been closed.