Safari constantly displays "Update the 1Password extension"

Options
jasimon9
jasimon9
Community Member

Safari constantly displays "Update the 1Password extension". There are 2 choices:

1. Update Now - it opens a new tab and hangs
  2. Not Now - messages goes away but appears again a few seconds later.

The Update Now dialog keeps appearing, even if the old dialog is left on the screen. So after a few minutes it appears like you have to keep dismissing it, thus revealing the dialogs underneath the one just dismissed.

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @jasimon9 ,

I'm sorry to hear the extension update is giving you trouble. I have a suggestion.

1. Quit 1Password by holding down the control key while selecting Quit 1Password and 1Password mini from the 1Password menu.
    2. Then go back to Safari and choose Preferences from the Safari menu.
    3. Click on Extensions, and click on the Update button. It should update then. You should get version 4.6.0 or later.

If it still doesn't work:
    1. Remove the 1Password extension.
    2. Close the Preferences window.
    3. Choose "Extension Gallery" from the Safari menu.
    4. You will be taken to a web page and should see the 1Password extension there. Click on it and then click "Install Now"

After that, you can start the 1Password app and it shouldn't ask you to update anymore.

If may pop open a window asking you to confirm an authorization code. Check that Safari shows a window with the same code and click Authorize.

If you run into trouble, or have any questions about the above, please let us know.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the detailed instructions.

I needed to get the particular MBP ready for a business trip, and could not take the time to play with this at the time. Instead I just downloaded Chrome, and it just works. So for now the problem is worked around. And I have now returned from the trip and will not be using that computer again at this time.

If I do need to use that computer again, and have some time, I might try your suggestions.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm glad everything works well for you in Chrome! I think the steps Kevin gave you should solve the problem in Safari, but if you run into more trouble with that, please don't hesitate to let us know, and we'll be happy to continue working on it with you. Enjoy the rest of your week! :)

This discussion has been closed.