The “best” way to use Vaults?

Options
RCMjr
RCMjr
Community Member

I know there is no right answer to this question, but I’m looking for insight on best practices.

I currently have three vaults: C&A - which has everything in it; Shared - which has Netflix, etc; and Personal - which doesn’t have anything.

In C&A, I have the things you would expect: bank accounts, credit cards, medical, travel, etc. I also have 15 Notes which contain information like my kids’ car make/model and license plate info, passwords that they use to log on to the computer, registration and subscription numbers, etc. I’ve got our SSN’s, driver’s license numbers, and passport information using their own categories.

I’m probably using it just like you’d expect but in addition to those, I have 30+ sites using the Tag Job Hunting. Those items are there not so much because I’m actively looking for a job, but they are either industry related or sites where I would go if I were looking for a new job.

I’m a new user and currently have 143 items in C&A and that number will grow as I continue to add more information to my account. I’m wondering if I should make a Vault called Work Related or Job Hunting and move those 30 items over? My wife will never use them. Should I create a vault for Notes, since those are more informational as opposed to anything else. How about one to hold rarely looked at information like SSN, driver's license, auto insurance?

Too many vaults and I imagine things become a bit convoluted; too few, and maybe it becomes intimidating for certain users.

Any thoughts and advise is appreciated.

1Password Version: 6.5.4
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: 10.12.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi,

I don't have much to suggest, but why not try tags? It's a good way of keeping everything in a central vault for simplicity but being able to sort easily between a number of different subvaults if you like. In terms of vaults, I'd maybe suggest looking at how you're actually using everything. If you find yourself constantly searching for things of a specific type, moving them into a separate place would certainly help. If search works quickly though, you may be good as you are.

All in all, it's mostly a matter of opinion. Just find what feels right for you.

• Hi @RCMjr - Great question! You can create a separate vault and title it "Job Hunting" then just move everything over that specific vault. Another idea, like @oliverdunk suggested, is to give each item a tag which makes it easy to find everything "job search" related.

Either option will work, the only difference, moving the "job search" related items to a separate vault will remove the items from your main vault if that is what you're looking for. Keep us posted if you have any additional questions. We're always here for you :-)

Thank you @oliverdunk for the assist :high-five:

• RCMjr
    RCMjr
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, guys. I meant to mention that I am using tags and I find them very helpful.

I think I am going to create a vault for Jobs only because - and you guys will get this - we're geeks. Using 1PW doesn't make us geeks, but the fact that we're positing questions and answers on the forum, does. Sure, @Frank has to, but @oliverdunk doesn't. That's got geek written all over it. Of course, I mean this in a positive way.

My wife, on the other hand, is not into this stuff. She wants something that works and it's up to me to make it so. In light of that, I think if I can keep our main vault as clean as possible, the better off she'll (I'll) be.

Thanks again.

Chip

• Totally understandable! I get a kick out of knowing that even if I don't really work for AgileBits, I've played a tiny role in such a super awesome product. The development method in use is just admirable, the way things progress so quickly. Not to mention the design which is definitely eye candy.

• Sounds like a plan @RCMjr - I operate the same way. I like my Personal (main) vault to be as clean as possible. The categories also help out quite a bit getting things organized. My wife is the same way, so I completely understand you!!! Let us know how it works out :-)

Hi @oliverdunk - You're making me :blush: over here. Thank you for the kind words, we really appreciate it. We're a small team with one goal in mind - to deliver the best user experience possible :+1:

This discussion has been closed.