Since the last update, opening the browser extension produces a long list of logins.

The list of logins seem to be random. I did notice that if I happen to have a (any) website open, the list does not appear. I much prefer having only my favorites and the categories listed when I open the extension as it used to be. How can I prevent this list from showing up?

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: OSX 10.12.2
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:browser extension

Comments

• Hi @grumpy21 ,

The list of logins shown at the top level should be any logins where the website field matches the site of the web site you are currently viewing. So if you are at apple.com, any login item in 1Password you have with apple.com in the website field will show in the menu. The reason is to give you convenient access to those login items when you visit a website. Is this not what you are seeing?

Regards,
    Kevin

• grumpy21
    grumpy21
    Community Member

This is not what I'm seeing. This list only appears when I do not have any web site open. Additionally, each of the logins that appear do not have anything but the generic picture of a lock for a logo. I can send a screenshot if it will help.

What I see is not the expected behavior that you described.

Thanks,
    Jim

• Hi @grumpy21,

If the screenshot does not contain sensitive information, please send it to support+forum@agilebits.com along with a link to this conversation. We'll take a look and see what's up.

Thanks,
    Kevin

• grumpy21
    grumpy21
    Community Member

I spent a bit of time looking at the long list of login items that appears when I do not have a website open. The one thing that they all have in common is that they do not contain WEB SITE ADDRESSES. Something in the last update to 1password has caused these to show up because they never did before.

I hope that will help you work on a fix.

JIm

• grumpy21
    grumpy21
    Community Member

Of course, the problem only occurs when using the browser extension.

Jim

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@grumpy21: Forgive me for asking, but I just want to make sure I understand correctly: Are you saying that, when you have no URL open in your browser, 1Password shows you a list of Login items without URLs? If so, it sounds to me like 1Password is matching the URL in these cases just as it would normally match the "website" field to the website you're visiting in others — there's just isn't one. That actually doesn't surprise me, though I admit is isn't something I'd ever bothered to consider before. Sailing past the part where you have a bunch of Logins without URLs in the first place (I'm not sure I understand that), can you tell us a bit more about your setup? Which browser version are you using, for example?

• grumpy21
    grumpy21
    Community Member

You are absolutely correct. I had never considered that it was matching login items with no URL to the about:blank page that I typically use at browser startup. I've done a bit more looking into this after your comment.

I'm using a Macbook 12" with MacOS 10.12.13. All of my browsers have the most current update. I'm also using the most current 1Password. I use Firefox, Chrome and Safari. The behavior that we are discussing appears in all three browsers. It also appears on a Macbook Air 11" configured just as above. Again, all of my browsers start with the about:blank page.

I also have Windows 10 running in Parallels on both of these machines. The Windows version of 1Password does not exhibit this behavior on Firefox or Internet Explorer.

As to why I have passwords saved without URLs. A good example is Apple ID. I don't want to forget it but it is used in a number of places not necessarily just one URL. Also, before I began using 1Password, I had a list of bookmarks. By habit, I would open the bookmarks and then let 1Password supply the login information.

Looks like my problem is easily solved. I can fix all of my login items to have URLs or change my startup page to something other than about:blank. I just wonder why things changed on the Mac but not Windows.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@grumpy21: Thanks for getting back to me! I have to say, I'm not convinced that something's changed on the Mac. Both Mac and Windows versions use the same extensions, and frankly we haven't shipped an update to the Mac version recently either.

This is very intriguing though, and in my experimentation I think I may have narrowed it down a bit. I actually have at least one login I just created for testing this, and it doesn’t show up on about:blank. However, I do have 4 other logins show up there as matches, with various URLs: file:/// , Unicode characters, etc.

But I guess what I'd really like to know isn't why yo'd want some logins without URLs — I think we all have some of those, and you offered a pretty good example (though I prefer to use multiple URLs in most cases like that) — but rather how or why you've seemingly created logins with blank "website" fields in the first place. If I create a new login and don't enter a URL, it isn't saved without a "website" field entirely, and in this case it doesn't show up as a match for about:blank. Only if I enter something (a "space", for example) in the "website" field and save it does the field exist in the item and therefore present as a match. So it seems that the extension treats any URLs it simply doesn’t understand as matches for about:blank, perhaps because it doesn’t understand that URL either. :lol:

This is definitely a bit of an edge case because of this, so I'm interested more in figure out how you got into this situation and figuring out workaround that works better for you than changing your startup page, etc. Can I make a suggestion? When you mention bookmarks, this is really how I use 1Password much of the time myself, albeit in a slightly different way, so maybe I can offer some help. I find that having URLs in my logins makes using 1Password as a sort of bookmarks repository much more useful, since I can just hit ⌘ ⌥ \ (Command Option \ — or Ctrl Alt \ on Windows) and either select a login manually through the menus (nice) or by searching (even nicer) to have 1Password open the page and fill there.

There's a lot here, so let me know what you think. :)

• grumpy21
    grumpy21
    Community Member
    edited February 2017

Brenty, Thanks for taking time to look into this.

Looking a bit closer at the problematic login items, each of them do have "http://" in the website field. Now, to why it's like that. I imported items from SplashData long ago and that may be where the problem originated. I also have some items with entirely blank website fields that do not show up on the list. My experience matches your tests.

Something definitely changed. I know that there has not been a recent update but I never saw this until sometime in the last two or three months and I believe
    that I had just installed an update for 1Password.

I do use 1Password as my list of bookmarks now, just as you suggested. Most of the items with no web address are not used regularly and to be honest, I should purge many of them or at least remove the errant characters from the website field.

I've attached two screenshots just so that you can see that the Mac and Windows 10 versions of 1Password are very different on my machine.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@grumpy21: Ah, we'll if we're talking 2 or 3 months, that certainly changes things, as we have released updates in that time frame across both the extensions and apps. Thank you for the illustration, and for confirming that imported data may be involved. I feel like right now your best options will be search (since that will easily clear the matched list and get you the "bookmark" you want) or removing the errant "URLs" from some items.

We've been discussing this internally, and the short version is that while this isn't a specific use case 1Password is trying to accommodate, there are definitely improvements we'd like to make to URL handling in general that would help in your case as well. That bad news is that this will be a long-term thing since it will involve changes across multiple platforms for both the apps and extensions. In my comments above you can get a hint about this where I talk about Unicode and file:// URLs. 1Password should be better at parsing URLs in general, so this is an area we'll be working on in the future. I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you right now, but I'm really glad you brought this up as it's something we can be aware of as we improve 1Password's URL handling. Cheers!

• grumpy21
    grumpy21
    Community Member

Brenty, Thanks again for you help. My problem is easily solved and now that I know about it, easily preventable for the future.

I'm glad that in some small way, I may have helped to make 1Password a little better.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @grumpy21,

Over the years 1Password has definitely improved because either people have been passionate about wanting 1Password to be capable of something in particular or come to ask us a question. So we're just as glad when people come to ask us "why?" and we discover something that was overlooked. Even during the brief period I've been with AgileBits I've seen it help mould 1Password and make it a better product in large and small ways. Thank you :smile:

This discussion has been closed.