Updates not automatically syncing to other devices...

Options
todd_louisville
todd_louisville
Community Member

I have a Family subscription, and syncing between our iMac, MacBook, & iPhone has been quick & seamless until now. Today we received my wife's new passport in the mail, and I dutifully updated her existing passport record on the MacBook to reflect the new passport number and attached a new photo. Now roughly 45 minutes later, the iPhone still reflects the old passport info, even after I restarted the program. How long of a delay between updating on one device and seeing those changes on other devices is "normal"?

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: 4.6.3.90
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: Family Plan (Automatic)
Referrer: forum-search:Updates not syncing to other devices

Comments

• Hi @todd_louisville - That is definitely not normal syncing behavior so thank you for letting us know. Are you by any chance running any type of new security or ad-blocking software on your Mac that could be interfering with the connection to our servers? Sorry just trying to get a better understanding of the issue. Keep me posted and if this is not the case we can dig a little deeper.
    Talk to you soon and have a great day!

• todd_louisville
    todd_louisville
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, this is strange. Just a few minutes ago I checked the iMac and the iPhone, and they were still not showing the updates I performed yesterday on the MacBook. Likewise, some OTHER updates I performed on the iPhone last night were not showing up on the MacBook. Then, I went back to the iMac to recheck a record in 1Password, and suddenly all of the information there was updated. Same on the iPhone. I then checked the MacBook and the other updates were showing there as they were supposed to. Somehow me opening & closing the program across multiple devices finally "shook loose" the data log jam. Still, this leaves me feeling unconfident that the right info will be where I need it, when I need it. Any thoughts on what took place and how it can be prevented going forward? Thanks.

• Hi @todd_louisville,

Typically this happens when the devices managed to get disconnected from the service that sends them notifications that there's new data to be synced. When this happens the apps are suppose to try reconnecting to the service, but in some rare cases they fail to do so.

There are some things you can do that will force a sync to happen:

• Lock/Unlock the app. A few seconds after unlock it should perform a sync
    • Edit any item, it should trigger sync right afterwards
    • Switch from one vault to another

In each of these cases the app will both sync the data, as well as restart the process of getting connected to the notifier service so that future changes should get synced automatically again.

Rick

• todd_louisville
    todd_louisville
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Rick, those are good comments - thanks. As an FYI, I did lock & unlock the app multiple times last night, and added some new records as well, but unfortunately those actions didn't seem to do the trick. I'm not quite sure what was so magical about what I did this afternoon that finally corrected the issue.

• @todd_louisville : next time you see something like that, I'd love to get a Diagnostics Report from you. They take only a moment to generate and the logs might give us an indication of what was going on and why things weren't syncing. Simply follow the instructions on this page: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Send that in and explain what you saw. Odds are that it'll land on my desk to look at pretty quickly.

Rick

• @todd_louisville : I just realized that there's a good chance that you were hitting an issue caused by our server over the last day or so. Some users were unable to connect to the server at all due to a change, and we've since fixed it to restore those connections.

Sorry about that.

Rick

• todd_louisville
    todd_louisville
    Community Member
    Options

Well, Rick, that certainly explains why the situation seemed to correct itself without me doing anything of substance. Thanks for the follow up, Todd

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Rick, you're welcome! Let us know if you need anything else. We're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.