Setting up WLAN Sync

bpourkazemi
bpourkazemi
Community Member
edited January 2017 in Mac

I'm having a difficult time finding the WLAN sync option under the 1password preferences menu, as outlined here: https://support.1password.com/wlan-server

Specifically, I don't see anything similar to what step (3) requires:

Click the WLAN server icon and turn on “Run a WLAN server from this Mac to sync with iOS and Android devices

Is it possible the docs are out of date? Any help is appreciated.

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: El Capitan 10.11.6
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bpourkazemi - Thanks for reaching out to us. The docs are up to date. The issue here seems to be a different one: You signed up for our subscription service. As sync is already included in our subscription plans, all other sync options are hidden in the user interface.

If you prefer to sync via WLAN, you can go back to using the standalone version of 1Password. Simply copy the items out of your account from 1Password for Mac. To do that, open and unlock the app, then choose 1Password -> Preferences and click Advanced. Click the box beside "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts" to enable a Primary vault on your computer. This will be stored outside your account.

To copy your items to the Primary vault, click the vault in the top left of the main 1Password window and choose the vault your items are located in. Then select them all by pressing Command A on your keyboard. With the items selected, choose Items -> Share -> Primary -> Copy from the menu bar. You can also click the export button (a little box with an arrow pointing up) on each item, select the Primary vault, and click Copy to quickly move an individual item.

One note- Your Document items 8if you have any) will not be moved over. You can download each of them from your old vault and re-attach them to the items they were previously attached to by dragging them to that item in the Primary vault.

Lastly, sign out of your account by clicking 1Password -> Preferences -> Accounts, then the Sign Out button in the bottom right of the window. You can now delete your account from the profile page.

Once the account is gone, you'll find the sync options just as they're described in the documentation.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you need any additional information. I’ll be happy to help! :)

• bpourkazemi
    bpourkazemi
    Community Member
    edited January 2017

Thanks, Roman!

Sorry for the late response, but just a couple follow-up questions, if you don't mind:

1. Will this remove all my information from agilebits' servers?
    2. Can I re-enable my account at a later date?
    3. This may be obvious, but I still need to pay for 1password, correct? Wondering if the monthly subscription is only for cloud sync.
  • bpourkazemi
    bpourkazemi
    Community Member
    edited January 2017

One other follow-up:

In comparing WLAN to 1password sync (see table here: https://support.1password.com/sync-options-security/), it seems cloud syncs offers more security features (e.g., multi-factor auth). Is this a fair assessment, or do some of those security factors become moot (e.g., there is no point to multi-factor auth on WLAN sync, because you always have access to a device)?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bpourkazemi,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you!

1. Will this remove all my information from agilebits' servers?

If you remove all your items from your account vault in the 1Password app on your Mac, they will be removed from your account vault on 1Password.com. Your data is backed up on our servers though, in case you change your mind (or in case someone accidentally deletes something from their account vault).

2. Can I re-enable my account at a later date?

Yes! If you cancel your subscription (or if you never added a credit card to your account) and it becomes frozen, you can re-enable it by adding your credit card.

3. This may be obvious, but I still need to pay for 1password, correct? Wondering if the monthly subscription is only for cloud sync.

That's correct: Without an active 1Password.com account subscription, the 1Password for Mac app will revert to an unregistered/trial state (when the trial period expires, the app will be limited). To activate it, you would either need to be signed in with an active subscription, or you would need to purchase & apply a license.

With a 1Password.com account, your data is automatically synced to your devices through our own servers, but it's much more than just a sync service. You can read more about the advantages of a 1Password.com account here: What is the difference between a 1Password account and a standalone license?

...it seems cloud syncs offers more security features (e.g., multi-factor auth). Is this a fair assessment, or do some of those security factors become moot (e.g., there is no point to multi-factor auth on WLAN sync, because you always have access to a device)?

If you use the 1Password app alone (without a 1Password.com account), it's an encryption app, and not a hosted service using authentication. In other words, without an account, you wouldn't be authenticating to a service, so multi-factor authentication doesn't really apply. We have an article on our support site which explains this in a bit more depth: Authentication vs. encryption in the 1Password security model

Hopefully that answers your questions, but please let us know if you have more. We're always happy to help! :)

• bpourkazemi
    bpourkazemi
    Community Member
    edited February 2017

Last question - can my backup vaults be cleared? I'm pretty well read on the 1password security model at this point, and still don't wish to have data on the cloud. I understand the data may be strongly-encrypted, but that does not guarantee against possible vulnerabilities in the encryption schemes themselves, or in 1Password's general security implementation. The likelihood for both, however small, are non-zero. It's a great product with security taken very seriously, but I hope it's understandable when I say I'd rather not store sensitive information on the cloud, in any form.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bpourkazemi,

Last question - can my backup vaults be cleared?

Once you've moved your data from your account vault to a local vault, and if you're sure you won't want to reactivate it, you can delete your 1Password.com account. To do that, sign into your account on 1Password.com, click the menu in the top right corner and choose My Profile, then click "Permanently Delete Account" at the bottom of your profile page.

Currently, that will mark your account as deleted, so it will no longer be accessible. The part of our system that permanently deletes it from the server is being worked on by our developers at the moment, but as soon as that's done, your account will be purged.

I hope that helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.