Folders keep disappearing

Hi

I have a problem with 1Password 3.5.9 which is that the folders keep disappearing on the left, leaving only "All" and "Unfiled" smart folders.

The solution for me is to "Clear Cache" in the Help menu. This shows the folders again and they remain showing while the window is open but after a few opening and closings of the window the folders soon disappear again.

I've tried "Reset Folder Permissions" and "Rebuild Data File" but these don't bring any solution.

It is a puzzler for me.

I've searched this forum with "disappearing folders" and "folders disappearing" but it hasn't brought up any postings discussing this issue.

Comments

• patrickj
    patrickj
    Community Member
    Hi

I've run 1Password's Diagnostics Report and it says:

Your OS X user account is launching processes as the 'root' super user. Please refer to Processes Running as Root to see a description of the problem and how to fix it.

Well I've looked in the Activity Monitor as suggested in "Processes Running as Root" and all processes are running with my user account, not 'root'. This includes 1Password which is running in my user account according to the Activity Monitor.

So, I wonder which is correct, 1Password Diagnostics Report or the Activity Monitor ?

Thank you
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2011
    By default, Activity Monitor only shows processes run by your user account. Please ensure that you have selected "All Processes" from the drop-down menu:

20110425-8rbd9hjn4udjrhwc3ssrxxunf1.jpg
    It would be very helpful for us to have a look at your Diagnostics Report. It sounds like something may be amiss on your Mac. :S

To help us track down the issue more quickly, could you please email us your Diagnostics Report? To generate the report from 1Password on your Mac, open 1Password and select Help > Troubleshooting > Diagnostics Report. Then attach the entire file to an email to support@agilewebsolutions.com.

Please include a link to this thread in order that we might more quickly "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, though.
  • patrickj
    patrickj
    Community Member
    edited April 2011
    Thank you, I've just checked now and I see that processes are being run as root.

I will send diagnostics report to you the address you have given.

Thank you!
  • patrickj
    patrickj
    Community Member
    edited April 2011
    Hi

I've sent the diagnostics report to the email address you suggest with a link to the other topic I started.

If I need to "Archive and Install" or whatever, I will take this opportunity to replace the hard drive my Mac's OS is on with a new 3TB Hitachi Desktar which I've been planning to do for a while now :)
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2011
    Thanks, Patrick! I have replied to you via email. In your case a simple data file rebuild should be all that is necessary (Help > Troubleshooting > Rebuild Data File).

The "Processes Running as Root" warning is a bit of a red herring. The test is actually for the older 1Password 2 data format which you moved away from quite some time ago according to the Diagnostics Report. The old keychain file is owned by root which could cause some trouble if you were still using it, but you aren't. :-)

If you change ownership, move, or trash this file, the warning should not be present if you generate a new Diagnostics Report:

/Users/patrick/Library/Keychains/1Password.keychain

While I would probably delete the file from my own machine, my official recommendation is archiving it somewhere for safe keeping. ;-)

Please let me know if you are still having any trouble.
  • patrickj
    patrickj
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

Thanks, Patrick! I have replied to you via email. In your case a simple data file rebuild should be all that is necessary (Help > Troubleshooting > Rebuild Data File).

The "Processes Running as Root" warning is a bit of a red herring. The test is actually for the older 1Password 2 data format which you moved away from quite some time ago according to the Diagnostics Report. The old keychain file is owned by root which could cause some trouble if you were still using it, but you aren't. :-)

If you change ownership, move, or trash this file, the warning should not be present if you generate a new Diagnostics Report:

/Users/patrick/Library/Keychains/1Password.keychain

While I would probably delete the file from my own machine, my official recommendation is archiving it somewhere for safe keeping. ;-)

Please let me know if you are still having any trouble.

Hi Khad

All seems to be happy now :)

I deleted the old 1Password.keychain file.

Having done that, I rebuilt my data file, and since then the folders have not disappeared.

It seems the old 1Password keychain was having a negative effect because before I had tried rebuilding the data file before and that did no good, but now it has worked fine.

Thank you!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the update. I am glad everything is working well. That is always good news! :-)

Cheers,
  • patrickj
    patrickj
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

Thanks for the update. I am glad everything is working well. That is always good news! :-)

Cheers,

Unfortunately I spoke too soon. The problem has returned today :(

The temporary solution is to clear the cache.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2011
    To help us track down the issue more quickly, could you please email us a fresh Diagnostics Report? To generate the report from 1Password on your Mac, open 1Password and select Help > Troubleshooting > Diagnostics Report. Then attach the entire file to an email to support@agilebits.com.

Please include a link to this thread in order that we might more quickly "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, though.
  • patrickj
    patrickj
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

To help us track down the issue more quickly, could you please email us a fresh Diagnostics Report?

Thank you. I've just sent the email with the report now. I have been so busy for the last month that I was unable to follow this up but not I'm back on the case because the disappearing folders are very irritating :)
  • patrickj
    patrickj
    Community Member
    brenty wrote:

Not a problem! I completely understand. Plenty of distractions and things to keep us busy around here, too! cool.gif
    I just wanted to let you know that we have received your email and we will get back to you as soon as we get some idea of what it is exactly that is happening to cause this. Thanks for your patience! :)

To tie things up I would like to say that I am almost 99% certain that the disappearing folders problem has, well, disappeared.

My folders have not disappeared for a long long time now!

It is difficult to say exactly what solved it, however I did give both of my Macs with 1Password a thorough going over with TechTool Pro and Onyx a couple of weeks ago and I think that it was probably that which solved it.

It was curious because it afflicted both Macs which share the data file with Drop Box, so it must have been that data file. It is hard for me to know why one of the tools in TechTool Pro might have fixed it, after all the only one that would seem relevant, the one which checks for file corruption, did not suggest any problems with the data file for 1Password.

However, the good news is that it is fixed now :)

Thank you for the emails etc. the support from Agile was very excellent.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the update, Patrick! I'm glad things are working well again. :-)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know.

We are always here to help!
This discussion has been closed.