when I select a website with 1password safari always opens 2 windows on MacBook Pro.

macintosh1
macintosh1
Community Member

when I select a website with 1password, safari always opens 2 windows on MacBook Pro.

1Password Version: 6.53
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: Mac OS 10.12.2
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:when I select a website with 1password safari always opens 2 windows on MacBook Pro

Comments

• DanielP
    DanielP
    1Password Alumni

Hey @macintosh1 :)

Just to make sure we are on the same page: does this behavior happen when you click on the "open and fill" button within the 1Password app, when you click on a website in 1Password Mini in the menu bar or when you use the browser extension?

• macintosh1
    macintosh1
    Community Member

Happens on all.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @macintosh1! Can you please elaborate on what windows are opened? Is it the same site in both windows, or different sites? Is Safari open or closed when you open the Login item? Is this happening for one specific Login, or for all Logins? When did this problem start happening?

• macintosh1
    macintosh1
    Community Member

one window open to login page of site I want the other window opens my homepage. So when I click on site to login it always opens login site and homepage.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2017

Hi @macintosh1,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you! I've been doing some testing and was able to reproduce the same thing in different browsers on my own Mac. I've also been doing some digging to try and figure out why this happens, and if it's a bug or if there's a reason why it does that.

I noticed that this only happens if no other windows/tabs are currently open in the browser, and if the ‘New windows open with’ and ‘New tabs open with’ settings (in Safari > Preferences > General) are set to Favorites, Top Sites, Homepage, or Same Page.

On the other hand, it doesn't happen if another window/tab is already open in the browser, and/or if the ‘New windows open with’ and ‘New tabs open with’ settings in Safari are set to Empty Page. For now, you can either ignore (or close) the extra homepage window, or if you really don't want the extra page to open, you can change those settings to Empty Page.

I submitted a ticket to our developers about this so they can look into it. It's possible there's a reason why it works this way, but if it turns out to be a bug, hopefully we can fix it in a future version. Thanks for taking the time to report it! If you need anything else, please let us know. :)

ref: OPM-4828

This discussion has been closed.