To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

I have 1Password on my iPhone. Do I have to purchase it again for both iMac and MacBook?

Options
jonallen
jonallen
Community Member

I have used 1Password on my iPhone for a couple years or more.
I would like to have it on my MacBook and iMac as well.
Do I have to purchase it separately for both, or will one purchase work for both devices?

Jon

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I have 1Password on my iPhone. Do I have to purchase it again for both iMac and MacBook?

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

One purchase will cover both MacBook and iMac as well, and any other Macs you buy.

Thing to watch is whether to go for a subscription or a one-time purchase. People get confused and try to set up a (trial) subscription after paying for a one-time licence. Note that the word "account" is used only for the subscription, if you go for the licence then you want to "continue without an account".

On the whole, I recommend going for a subscription.

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jonallen - Welcome on our forum! :)

danco is spot on with both pointing out that a license covers all your Macs and recommending a subscription. If you want to learn more about the difference between the two ways to use 1Password you can do so here.

I hope this information helps. Please let us know if you need anything else. We’ll be happy to help! :)

• jonallen
    jonallen
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you.
    I purchased 1Password maybe 2 or 3 years ago for my iPhone (one time cost). I pay no ongoing subscription. As I understand it, I can purchase it for my iMac ($64.99) and I will be able to put the app on my MacBook and have my iPhone app connect to it. Is that correct?

Do I have to re-enter all my data from my iPhone app into the Mac version, or will it recognize it automatically?

• Hi @jonallen - Your understanding is correct. Keep in mind - our standalone license is not a "one-time" cost. We include updates for that specific version but upgrades are not included. With our new 1Password.com accounts, all the apps are included in addition to future upgrades. The Pro-Features for iOS are also included with our subscription accounts otherwise, you will have to purchase this separately if interested. With a standalone license, you have to set up a sync source using iCloud or Dropbox -

https://support.1password.com/sync-options/#sync-it-yourself-with-icloud-or-dropbox

This will keep all your devices in sync so you don't have to renter all your data on the Mac. Set up the sync source first on your iPhone then you'll be good to go on the Mac. One of the benefits of signing up for a 1Password.com account, is we take care of all the syncing for you, so you don't have to set anything up. Sorry I just want to make sure you're aware of all the options available to you. I hope this helped and enjoy the rest of your day!

• jonallen
    jonallen
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, I got it.
    I appreciate it.

• It was a tag team effort so on behalf of @roman and @danco, you're very welcome.

Keep us posted if you have any additional questions :+1:

This discussion has been closed.