Why is there an "Update 1password extension" popup showing?

Options

Comments

• Malka
    Malka
    Community Member
    Options

A popup asking me to update the 1password extension to continue in firefox (even when I don't have firefox open) won't go away. Also, when I click on the 1password button, the first item above the 1st option to add firefox extension is in red, "Trial expired. Click here to buy." I've already paid for 1Password. Thanks for your help.

• Malka
    Malka
    Community Member
    Options

A popup asking me to update the 1password extension to continue in firefox (even when I don't have firefox open) won't go away. Also, when I click on the 1password button, the first item above the 1st option to add firefox extension is in red, "Trial expired. Click here to buy." I've already paid for 1Password. Thanks for your help. (sorry if this reposted)

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hey @Malka,

I split your comments out to another thread as they were a little different to the thread they were in, I hope you don't mind. Now, let's focus on this issue.

Firefox Extension Upgrade Popup
    Sorry about the annoying popup - may I ask if you have the 1Password for Firefox extension installed?

• If you do, I would recommend checking what version of the extension you have installed by opening Firefox's Add-ons page (you can do this by copying and pasting about:addons into the Firefox address bar and hitting Enter). You should see 1Password listed there, if you click "more" it should say what version you have installed. The latest version is 4.6.3. If you have an older version please let me know.
    • If you don't have the 1Password for Firefox extension installed, you can grab it from here: https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions Just open that link in Firefox and click the big green "Install" button :chuffed:

Trial Expired Message
    Regarding the Trial Expired message, may I ask how you paid for 1Password - did you purchase from us directly on AgileBits.com, as part of a software bundle, from the Mac App Store or from somewhere else?

Which version of 1Password are you currently using?

Best regards,
    Matthew

• Malka
    Malka
    Community Member
    Options

1Password was originally installed on Safari. In trying to get rid of the popup, I clicked both not now and also update now though I didn't see any evidence that an installation completed. W this hen I click on the 1Password icon now to open it to find answers to your questions, nothing drops down.

• Malka
    Malka
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for the typos!

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey again @Malka,

Was it this popup that you're seeing (see screenshot below)? This is from my 1Password for Mac.

If so then it should only ever be displayed once. I think it might be worth sending us a Diagnostics Report so we can examine the settings and logs for your app to determine why you're seeing this all the time. Please check out these instructions for how to send us a Diagnostics Report.

Once you send us the Diagnostics Report, you'll get a reply with a ticket code. Please reply to me on the forum with this ticket code and I'll be able to find your Diagnostics Report :chuffed:

Best regards,
    Matthew

• Malka
    Malka
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Matthew,
    That is not the popup. This one says "Update the 1Password extension" header, with text: "The 1Password extension requires an update to continue working in Firefox. To update later, visit 1pw.ca/browser" with options Not Now and Update Now.
    Thanks,
    Malka

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @Malka,

Late last year we added a new security measure to how the extension connects and communicates with 1Password. It's annoying but sometimes security measures necessitate enforcing the use of a new version, in this case the extension otherwise the entire point behind the security measure is lost. The message you're seeing will pop up any time an old version of the 1Password Browser Extension attempts to connect to 1Password from any browser.

To avoid asking for a diagnostic report I would suggest the following in every browser you like to regularly use.

1. Open the browser and visit the extensions page for this browser.
    2. Locate any 1Password Browser Extension and uninstall.
    3. Restart the browser.

You should find the annoying message disappears and that if anything pops up it would be the notification that Matthew referred to.

Now install a fresh copy of the 1Password Browser Extension into each of your browsers from our 1Password Browser Extensions page.

This should ensure there are no old versions of the extension around to cause the message to appear. At least in Safari it won't let you manually install a newer version hence the steps I've outlined above, they offer a path that has never failed me and avoids several pitfalls. Hopefully this helps but if not please do let us know.

This discussion has been closed.