URL not from 1Password not overwriting URL in browser

Options

I have a 1Password entry for app2101.bws.birst.com/Login.aspx. I have another 1Password entry for mrc.bws.birst.com/Login.aspx. The entries use different username/password.

If I logout of the application when using app2101 I return to the URL app2101.bws.birst.com/Login.aspx. I then select the 1Password login for mrc.bws.birst.com/Login.aspx, but 1Password does not alter the browser URL. It still uses app2101, but passes the username/password for the mrc login credentials.

If I am on cnn.com and select the 1Password entry for mrc.bws.birst.com/Login.aspx, then 1Password uses the mrc URL.

Why will 1Password not overwrite the app2101 URL with the mrc URL when I'm on the app2101 URL?

1Password Version: 6.3.359d
Extension Version: 6.3.359d
OS Version: Windows 7 Professional
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:URL not used

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @joehobo,

There are two key filling paths in 1Password. There is filling the active tab which relies on domain matching. This path prioritises a FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) over just the registered domain but will list any Login item for the same registered domain. The reason is to help accommodate sites where you may need to use the same account credentials on various subdomains. When 1Password displays a list of matching Login items it will always be to fill the active tab and it won't ever force the use of the stored URL.

The second filling path is called open and fill. This is where 1Password will pass the stored URL to the browser and open a new tab. Once the browser reports the page has loaded we fill using the designated Login item. This approach always loads the stored URL (in a new tab in most circumstances) and ignores what is in the active tab.

Now in 1Password 6 for Windows is playing catchup with 1Password for Mac simply due to being a much younger piece of software so there are still a number of areas where the Mac seems more feature rich. This will change over time but for now it seems like using 1Password helper from inside the browser will always fill the current tab if the domains match and the only way to force open and fill is to click on the website field in the Login item from inside the main 1Password 6 window. I apologise we don't have anything more elegant in place just now but I have no doubt 1Password 6 for Windows will go from strength to strength.

• joehobo
    joehobo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @littlebobbytables , It was not a big deal. I open a new tab and then select the login from 1Password. It would just be easier to not have to open a new tab.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@joehobo When you click the 1Password button and see a list of Logins, that list indicates that these are fillable on the current page. If you want to go to the specific URL for that page, highlight the Login to see its detail view and click the URL there. That should cause the URL to open fresh and handle the filling for you. For the smoothest experience, make sure that the URL in the item points to a page with the sign in form so it can get there directly.

I hope that helps.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sadly @jxpx777 that's Mac only at the moment. I'm sure 1Password 6 for Windows will eventually offer a much more complete 1Password helper menu. So many items on the todo list for that hard working Windows team :smile:

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ah, dang… My Mac-centric worldview blinds me again! One alternative would be to hand-craft a 1Click bookmark for this URL. If you want to try this, you'll need two pieces of information: the item's UUID and the item's vault's UUID. You can get these from the 1Password.com web interface. Sign in and locate the item in 1Password.com. The URL will look something like this:

https://my.1password.com/vaults/mgdnbdpjhioczvkfcx5v7xzwbi/001/gfwcis4zlzhwpeoywf6x4inpzq

which is in the format of https://[my OR account domain]/.1password.com/vaults/[VAULT UUID]/[CATEGORY_ID or allitems]/[ITEM_UUID]

First, start by bookmarking the URL for your mrc.bws.birst.com sign in page. Now, to make the new URL, take the URL you have in the item. Let's say it's https://mrc.bws.birst.com/Login.aspx. To this, add the following ?onepasswdfill=ITEM_UUID&onepasswdvault=VAULT_UUID. Putting that all together using the UUIDs from my example above would be something like:

https://mrc.bws.birst.com/Login.aspx?onepasswdfill= gfwcis4zlzhwpeoywf6x4inpzq&onepasswdvault= mgdnbdpjhioczvkfcx5v7xzwbi

Copy this freshly crafted URL. In your browser, edit the bookmark you created and set its address to the newly crafted URL and save. Now, when you click this bookmark, it should open the proper page and trigger 1Password filling automatically.

This is admittedly an advanced tip, so if it doesn't interest you to futz with this process to work around a current limitation of the 1Password apps, that's certainly understandable, but I thought I would throw the idea out there and see if it might help. :)

This discussion has been closed.