Yubikey and 1Password keychain synchronization

lancehankins
lancehankins
Community Member

I've read almost all the discussions here about 1P and MFA. That's not what I'm wondering about. I appreciate the value of both sides of the question.

I recently purchased a Yubikey Nano and want to utilize it with the services I use that it makes sense with. Dropbox is one of those. What I want to know is - since I sync my 1P keychain through Dropbox for all my devices, can I use the MFA key with Dropbox without screwing up my 1P synchronization? If you don't think so, that's ok. I can live without it. But if it shouldn't cause a problem I'd like to enable the Yubikey for th rest of the material I store there.

Just thought I'd ask first rather than mess up my 1P info. I depend on it a lot since I utilize IP password generation for most of my sites and I don't have ANY of those memorized... ;-)

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.3.90
OS Version: OS X 10.12.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lancehankins: Hmm. That's a tough one. I'd imagine that the only place you might run into resistance is on mobile devices, but if they're syncing with Dropbox already, they should continue to do so using their already-established authentication token. Worst case scenario, you might have trouble setting up a new device or re-authenticating if the Yubikey isn't supported there. It won't mess up your 1Password data even then though; it simply won't be able to send and receive changes. If you're feeling adventurous, there's no harm in trying, apart from perhaps needing to switch back to another authentication method if that prevents you from doing so in some cases. I'd be interested to hear what you find.

• lancehankins
    lancehankins
    Community Member

@brenty: Thanks for that. I think I will go ahead and try it and see what happens. I'll let you know what I find out.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Please do! I'm using TOTP with my own Dropbox setup currently, so I'm curious about how it is with Yubikey. :)

This discussion has been closed.