Keyboard control of 1P Mini anchored window

Options
chucksense
chucksense
Community Member

One of the things I love most about 1P is how much you can accomplish without ever having to move my hands off of my keyboard to the trackpad. Generally speaking, a Cmd-\ is all it might need. In some cases, Cmd-Opt-\ and using the arrow keys to the right item works well too.

There is one usecase where this falls apart, unfortunately, and that is when you anchor the window. Many times a day, I'm looking up a log in that is not in a browser with an extension—and in these cases, I use the "anchored" mini window. Unfortunately, the mini window, once anchored, seems to lose most (all?) keyboard control.

1. Cmd-Opt-\ to pull up the search window.
  2. Type a few characters of the login to find the right login
  3. Use down arrow key to navigate to the item, and right arrow key to expand it
  4. Cmd-o to anchor it.

From here, I'd love to be able to use up/down arrow keys to navigate the items just like prior to being anchored rather than the much more disruptive action of moving my hand to my trackpad.

Just a suggestion, thank you!

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Keyboard control of mini window

Comments

• Hi @chucksense ,

We are looking into addressing that. The issue is that 1Password mini is not becoming the foreground app so the keyboard focus is on the current app instead of the item window.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• chucksense
    chucksense
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_kevin,
    That's correct. And because it's not a "full-fledged" app window, it doesn't appear you can Cmd-tab between the current app and it.

Anyway, I hope you'll figure out a way to do it that is seamless as it would make my life just a little easier. :-)

Cheers,
    -Chuck

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Likewise, thanks for your feedback on this! We'll see what we can do to make it more accessible. :)

• mpmchugh
    mpmchugh
    Community Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Related to the idea of simplifying the use of anchored windows, it'd be nice if the details window can be anchored by holding down a key, like Option or Cmd, while selecting it from the menu, rather than the somewhat awkward Cmd-o method.

The Cmd-o method is fine, if you're already typing a search, but, if you're hand is on a mouse, a modifier key upon selection would be simpler for selecting something from the menu and anchoring it in one action.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the feedback on this! Ultimately we'd really like to overhaul the anchor window, period. And this is something that would really require that, and also be a good candidate for improvements there. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.