Confused about priority of features

burn123
burn123
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I am a little confused on the priority of features that you want to accomplish. I am a local vaulter, and I'm not going to be another one saying that this needs to get done, because you have enough people saying that.

However, today's update was pretty much exclusively focused on the 1Password Mini (which was actually pretty awesome, by the way, Mini is actually useful now). I realize the arguments for how this does benefit local vault users in the long run, and that the online users deserve a good app. I just feel that there would be more shown progress towards local vaults.

Maybe you guys have a whole bunch of things that you're working on for that, just on a different branch. I don't want to jump to conclusions. But would it be possible to somewhere have a running list of the things that you are prioritizing highly and/or the things that you plan to release next? I feel this would put a lot of users at ease

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Local

Comments

• Hi @burn123,

Thanks for writing in.

Local vaults is not our main priority and it is also not the most requested issue by far, in fact 1Password mini improvements are, which is why it is getting a lot of improvements right now. We're not working on local vaults right now and it is not going to be done for a while.

We are going to release a blog post to share more information about local vaults and where we're going. You can get a sneak peek of it in this blog comment from Dave.

• burn123
    burn123
    Community Member

I did not know those things, thank you for making that clear. I think that something even as short as your reply would help to put a lot of users more at ease. Is there any way you could let us know what is being worked on, not specifically with local vaults, but just in general

• MikeT
    edited February 2017

Hi @burn123,

1Password 6 beta notes are the best way, we do not hold back releases, we do in fact ship as soon as it is internally tested and ready to go. Our policy is that we do not release details on something that isn't a sure thing and the only time a feature change is a sure thing is when it is in the code and tested. The reason is that sometime we just can't make a feature work and have to scrap it, come back later.

In other words, the moment we release the beta build, that's when we can share the progress of what we're working on. We do try to mention what we're working on in the description of the beta notes. That is not to say it is the only thing we're working on, it's just the only thing we can share.

For now, we're mainly focused on 1Password mini changes, we want to add more categories to the sidebar, support manual save/Login updates, and other related features for 1Password mini. However, manual save/Login updates isn't a sure thing yet because we may have to tackle it a different way with an extension update first.

• burn123
    burn123
    Community Member
    edited February 2017

However, manual save/Login isn't a sure thing yet because we may have to tackle it a different way with an extension update first.

I'm confused what this means, in terms of "isn't a sure thing yet"

• MikeT
    edited February 2017

Hi @burn123,

There are two parts when it comes to saving/filling your data via the 1Password browser extensions. 1Password browser extension has no UI or data, its main goal is to facilitate filling of your data into the website and/or detect when you're submitting new data and let the main 1Password program know, it does this by securely communicating via a local connection. The main 1Password program hosts something we call 1Password Brain, it runs several algorithms to learn how to fill or save and pass on the data back to the extension.

The browser extensions are not coded by our Windows team, it has its own dedicated extension team because it runs the same code on Android, macOS, iOS, and Windows.

When we implement new code like the ability to save new Login item manually (you trigger it via an advanced option, not the extension), we have to make sure the extension can work with it. If not, we need to work with the extension team, fix it, ship the extension update and then ship the 1Password update. So, it is not a sure thing because we haven't tested to make sure it will not require an extension update.

This discussion has been closed.