Recover data in case of forgotten master password: 2 devices, same mpw, only one working touchID

Options
Timolution
Timolution
Community Member

Hi,

I have a bit of a problem, in that I forgot my master password. So I'm 99% sure that I'm hosed, but before wiping everything and restarting I wanted to check to make sure if there isn't the tiniest chance I might somehow recover my passwords in my particular situation.

So my iPhone's fingerprint reader broke yesterday and as such I cannot access my 1PW vaults anymore except through entering the master password. Unfortunately my mPW is quite long and uses a bunch of number and symbols to replace letters, and for the life of me I can't remember the correct sequence anymore after having relied on touchID for so long and to add insult to injury I can't find my code backup paper either.

However, I have an iPad Pro and I can access my 1PW vault on that device using my fingerprint (and this install uses the same master PW as the iPhone one). The vault on both devices syncs through dropbox, so I had the idea that I might be able to delete 1PW on my iPhone, change the master PW on my iPad, reinstall 1PW on my iPhone and then sync with dropbox using the new master PW. I thought that way I would be able to initialize a new master password and not lose any data.

Unfortunately, to change the master PW on my iPad I still need to provide the old master password and there's no way to continue from this screen using touchID, so it seems this idea is a no-go after all...

So before I give up, copy over the most critical PWs in text document by hand, wipe the app and reinitialise everything from scratch: in this particular case, whereby 1pw on two different devices is configured with the same (utterly forgotten) master PW, whereby the vaults in both installs are synced through DropBox, and whereby one device can still be opened with touchID and the other not; is there a way to change the master PW and recover the data from the touchID capable device to the one with the broken touchID?

Thank in advance and cheers,
T

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 10.2.1
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Timolution

Sorry to hear you've forgotten your Master Password. :(

You mentioned you're using Dropbox, so I take it that this is not a 1Password subscription account that would have recovery options?

Unfortunately failing that I think your idea of manually coping out your credentials after logging in using Touch ID on the iPad, and then starting a new vault (perhaps in a 1Password Families account which would have recovery options? :) ) would be your only recourse.

Ben

• Timolution
    Timolution
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @Ben

Well, as expected I guess I'll be copy-pasting from my iPad then. :'( Ah well, live and learn as they say. :)

And you make a good pitch ;) , but I'm one of those luddites that believes in 'buy once (with the occasional upgrade)' without being further chained to subscriptions. (Even if I get burned now and then. :p haha)

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Many of us prefer purchase to subscription.

I had set up my Mac and iPad ages ago using Dropbox syncing. However I decided to move to the sub anyway.

And I have just got (two) Android phones, and the setup of 1PW on those was so easy, no need to bother about getting and setting up Dropbox.

I'm pleased I did go with a sub.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

As a long-time Dropbox user, I was skeptical at first as well (I'll admit it). But while I can certainly handle license management and sync configuration, I am totally okay with not having to worry about those things anymore. For me that makes it worth it. Fortunately I kicked my MMO habit, so it isn't actually one more subscription for me; it just took up that "slot", and at a much lower rate. :lol:

This discussion has been closed.