Syncing with iPhone

Edit by administrator: please see the new Syncing with iPhone and iPod touch in 1Password 3 help page for details on syncing.

Shouldn't Wifi syncing with iPhone touch work with the Beta? After the beta upgrade I've been unable to sync.

Comments

• dteare
    edited December 1969
    Welcome to the forum dave95070!

dave95070 wrote:
    Shouldn't Wifi syncing with iPhone touch work with the Beta? After the beta upgrade I've been unable to sync.

The syncing should be the same in the Beta as in 1Password 2. The main difference is the new UI and the ability to selectively sync individual folders.

Do you see the Sync section in the source panel? If so, what happens when you click Sync Now? Also, be sure that 1Password is open on your iPhone.
  • cldkb
    edited December 1969
    I went to try this on Version 3.0.0.BETA-31 (build 30031). IPhone and Mac are on same wireless network and ethernet disconnected. On desktop application I only see grayed out "syncing" in the source panel. There is no option to "sync now".
  • dave95070
    edited December 1969
    I'm not at my Mac right now, but the sync selection in the Nav bar on the left didn't respond to any selection. Is there an option that I didn't see to enable WiFi Sync?
  • slboettcher
    slboettcher
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    What happened?
    I don't see iPhone sync now either?
  • fredrik
    edited December 1969
    I've got the same problem: no "Sync" menu item in the top menu and there are no items under the "Syncing" header in the sidebar (below "Folders") ... no matter what i try on the iphone-end
  • Teeeeeto
    edited December 1969
    I was seeing the same thing, except that I AM seeing the "SYNCING" header to the left with my iPhone below it. This is what I did.

I was seeing my iPhone status as "Offline" even though I had my iPhone on, it was at the home screen, WiFi working, etc. But as soon as I opened my 1Password app on my iPhone, my status changed to "Available" and I was able to select the "Sync Now" button (even though after opening my iPhone App and seeing my status change, my desktop app states that the "Last Synced" has now changed to "Just Now" status.). So, it looks like the only way it is syncing is by opening up the iPhone app. Otherwise, I can not select the desktop's "Sync Now" button.

Anyone else have the same thing happening?
  • jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    With 1Password 3, the new sync setup process is actually a lot simpler.

1. Launch and unlock 1Password.
    2. Launch 1Password touch, navigate to Settings > Wi-Fi Sync, and tap Allow New Connections.
    3. If Bonjour is working properly, you should see the device appear in the Synching section of 1Password 3 on your Mac. Click it.
    4. Click the Sync button in the detail view.
    5. Enter the secret codes from 1Password touch.
    6. Your sync should now be set up and should happen automatically from now on when both 1Password and 1Password touch are open and unlocked.

I hope that helps! Please let us know how it turns out.
  • Teeeeeto
    edited September 2009
    Jamie wrote:

2. Launch 1Password touch, navigate to Settings > Wi-Fi Sync, and tap Allow New Connections.
    3. If Bonjour is working properly, you should see the device appear in the Synching section of 1Password 3 on your Mac. Click it.
    6. Your sync should now be set up and should happen automatically from now on when both 1Password and 1Password touch are open and unlocked.

Jamie, I tired that and I am still back to where I was before (syncing ONLY when iPhone App is on). I was able before to see my iPhone in the desktop app but only able to sync if the iPhone App was on. So, I did what you said, but since it was already recognizing my phone, this made no difference. So, I deleted my iPhone in the left pane under SYNCING and basically started over again ([*] Launch 1Password touch, navigate to Settings > Wi-Fi Sync, and tap Allow New Connections, etc.). Everything worked well, but again - as soon as I quit 1Password touch, my status changes to "Offline."

Any ideas on how to get it to sync without having to have 1Password Touch running?

UPDATE: Just saw your last line in your post. So, this IS the way it is supposed to be working then? BOTH apps must be running and unlocked to work? I thought the old way synced in the background without having to have BOTH apps on, unlocked and running? If so, syncing will happen much less then, no?
  • dteare
    edited December 1969
    Teeeeeto wrote:
    UPDATE: Just saw your last line in your post. So, this IS the way it is supposed to be working then? BOTH apps must be running and unlocked to work? I thought the old way synced in the background without having to have BOTH apps on, unlocked and running? If so, syncing will happen much less then, no?

1Password touch on the iPhone does not have to be unlocked, but it does have to be running. 1Password on Mac has to be running and unlocked. This is because the devices communicate directly with one another. This is the same as 1Password 2.

We are working on WebDAV support so 1Password will be able to sync to a cloud service like MobileMe, which will allow you to only need to have one device running at a time. This will make syncing a lot easier and you'll never have to worry about forgetting to sync.
  • Teeeeeto
    edited September 2009
    dteare wrote:
    1Password touch on the iPhone does not have to be unlocked, but it does have to be running . . .

OK, I'm confused now. How do I get 1Password touch running WITHOUT having it unlocked. Every time I open the app, it asks me to unlock it? Do you mean that I have just have to have the app ON (running) on the iPhone (which I do)? Please explain. Thanks!
  • dteare
    edited December 1969
    Teeeeeto wrote:
    OK, I'm confused now. How do I get 1Password touch running WITHOUT having it unlocked. Every time I open the app, it asks me to unlock it? Do you mean that I have just have to have the app ON (running) on the iPhone (which I do)? Please explain. Thanks!

I meant you do not need to enter the Master Password on the iPhone. Just entering the PIN code should be enough. I think Roustem wants to make that last part optional too, but I don't think he's gotten to it yet.

Sorry for not being more clear :)
  • Teeeeeto
    edited December 1969
    OK. Thanks. So it looks like I do have it running correctly then. I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks Dave.

P.S. Loving the new UI and changes to 3.0 so far. It looks like a lot of work has gone into this new major update (insideand out). Keep it up.

P.S.S. I think I met you and Roustem (I believe) at the MacWorld Expo when the iPhone was first announced. I have both of your business cards somewhere around my office. I found them the other day and totally forgot about meeting you guys there. Crazy! Anyway, glad you guys are keeping up with everything and that I will keep you posted about what I am finding in 3.0.

Ciao!
  • slboettcher
    slboettcher
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    OK, that's working, and yes, it's better in that it's like iTunes now, but simpler is only the case when you know it changed :)
    Now, I'm sure it's in the notes, so probably MY fault, but I'm sure many will be confused.
    Mac users are notoriously NOT the type to RTFM! :)
  • Carl
    Carl
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Also, same as with version 2, if you cannot get sync to work, see this thread:

Troubleshooting 1Password touch syncing
  • dave95070
    edited December 1969
    As it turns out the syncing was working. When toggling the Wi-Fi Sync on the iPhone something flashes quickly, at first I didn't notice it until I looked at the password history. The backup worked. I saw no obvious indication on either the mac or iPhone app that the sync completed.

Should each side acknowledge the sync visibly?
  • jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    We want synching to be as transparent as possible, but apparently there is too much transparency. :) I think one thing that we could do is implement Growl notifications if the user has Growl installed. But, the new sync detail view shows when the last sync was, so perhaps that should be enough? I'd be interested to hear other users' thoughts.
  • Teeeeeto
    edited September 2009
    Jamie, until you guys get the WebDAV support, cloud computing, etc. (great idea by the way) up and running, my only suggestion would be to put some sort of instructional text
    in the Syncing screen, so that it is clearer to everyone what is needed to enable syncing. Such as:

1Password_touchup.jpg
  • roustem
    edited December 1969
    Teeeeeto wrote:
    Jamie, until you guys get the WebDAV support, cloud computing, etc. (great idea by the way) up and running, my only suggestion would be to put some sort of instructional text
    in the Syncing screen, so that it is clearer to everyone what is needed to enable syncing. Such as:

This is a very good suggestion, thank you!
  • johnkirk
    edited December 1969
    How very true, Dave. I hit synch twice as I really didn't think it had! Blindlingly fast! (if there is such a word!)

Well done all of you for reacting to Snow Leopard! I love the new interface.
  • stephenr98
    edited December 1969
    Jamie wrote:

I have the same issue with synch. I am using Version 3.0.0.BETA-31 (build 30031), my iPhone is showing up on the desktop app but the synch button is greyed out and unavailable. Tried toggling the wi-fi synch on and off on the iPhone and the other suggestions on the forum--nothing happening. Any suggestions? Thanks! Stephen
  • monsieurfunky
    monsieurfunky
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Hi,

I'm new here.

Desktop app works great. Installed the iPhone app, bgot the same problems as stated above (stephenr98)

Tried to open/close programs but didn't work. Any ideas?
  • jcorkett@qiniq.com
    edited December 1969
    I've got both unlocked and open. But there is no "Synch" on the top menu. On the left-hand menu in 1Password app my iTouch shows up but the information screen on the right-hand side is blank. However, I went into the iTouch 'Wi-Fi Synch", allowed 'New Connections" and it appears to have synched. Then went to History and discovered that it have auto synched twenty minutes earlier. It's working in the background I guess but a mite confusing.
  • ashebanow
    ashebanow
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    For me, the syncing item in 1Password 3 didn't automatically expand to show me it had contents. I had to click the little disclosure triangle to see that my iphone had actually showed up. It would be better if this wasn't required.
  • jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for the feedback. I agree that if a new sync point is available, it should be expanded.
  • Boupierre
    edited December 1969
    syncing with iphone not working for me yet. Running Snow Leopard.
  • ambrose
    edited December 1969
    I could not sync with my iPhone after I installed Snow Leopard and the beta. I spent some time poking around since there is no Sync in the menu. I could see my iphone in the "Syncing" list, but all sync functions to the right were gray. I deleted my phone from the "Syncing" drop-down, and 1P re-found it and allowed me to sync manually with the "Sync Now" button no longer gray. With my phone highlighted now, though, the Device Type = "Unknown"; Status= "Not Authorized", and all choices are grayed out except the "Sync Now" button. If I turn 1P touch off and back on, it automatically syncs.

Does that sound normal? Kind of a clunky sync process, or maybe obscure is a better word.
  • jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    bpwhistler wrote:
    Update: kept rebooting my computer and iPod Touch and running through Jamie's steps...and it finally worked. Not sure why or how...but I'm syncing now.

I'd have to say there's a bug in there somewhere.

It sounds like there was a trouble with the Bonjour process. Carl mentions how to troubleshoot this here.
  • jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    ambrose wrote:
    I could not sync with my iPhone after I installed Snow Leopard and the beta. I spent some time poking around since there is no Sync in the menu. I could see my iphone in the "Syncing" list, but all sync functions to the right were gray. I deleted my phone from the "Syncing" drop-down, and 1P re-found it and allowed me to sync manually with the "Sync Now" button no longer gray. With my phone highlighted now, though, the Device Type = "Unknown"; Status= "Not Authorized", and all choices are grayed out except the "Sync Now" button. If I turn 1P touch off and back on, it automatically syncs.

Does that sound normal? Kind of a clunky sync process, or maybe obscure is a better word.

I'm not sure what happened for you here. If you delete the sync item, it should delete the authorization as well and require you to reauthorize using the procedure I outlined previously. Are you able to reproduce this situation with any reliability? Are you using any synching such as Dropbox to sync your keychain? If so it's possible that the sync point entry got re-added to the keychain and confused the UI. (That's a SWAG but definitely possible. :))
  • peeeeeanut
    peeeeeanut
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Quick question...

Firstly I love this program & don't know how I'd survive without it! Anyway, I'm getting a LOT of "conflicts" when I sync - about 100. I have a big pw file. Anyway, none of the "conflicts" actually conflict - the passwords and other info appear the same.

Any idea what's causing this? I'm just clicking "skip" and praying I'm not inadvertently writing over some details I haven't noticed yet. Thanks for any advice.

Also - also vote for a walkthrough in the main 1PW program explaining how to do the sync. I'd have never figured it out if I hadn't wandered into the forums (though I realize this is why you keep them...;))
This discussion has been closed.