To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

primary vs personal vaults

Options
fabforrest
fabforrest
Community Member

i just signed up for an account (family). on my mac, i moved all my existing data to my account and then deleted the existing (personal) data from my mac. on my iPhone and iPad, i added the account. what do i do with the personal vaults on both those devices. they are not needed, correct? i cannot see how to delete them.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Frank
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi @fabforrest - Congrats on the Families account. Once you have migrated your data from your Primary vault over to your Personal vault it can be deleted. You will use your Personal vault going forward since it's connected to your Families account. Make sure you add the Families account to your other devices, once you add an item or make a change to any data within your Personal vault, the changes will auto-sync over to your other devices including the web.

You can't delete your Personal vault but you can delete your Primary vault if you wish (as long as all the data has been moved over) -

Open and unlock 1Password on your Mac > Click 1Password in the menu bar > Select "Switch to Vault" and choose Primary from the list > Click 1Password in the menu bar and select "Delete Vault" from the drop down list. You will have to enter your master password before you can delete the vault.

Keep us posted if you have any additional questions. :+1:

• fabforrest
    fabforrest
    Community Member
    Options

now i am totally confused. is primary local and personal the one on the account?

• fabforrest
    fabforrest
    Community Member
    Options

how do i delete the primary on the IOS device?

• fabforrest
    fabforrest
    Community Member
    Options

OK. i figured out how to delete primary on IOS, but when i enter the master password, it says incorrect. yet, i just logged in on Mac using that password. ????

• Frank
    Options

Hi @fabforrest - Yes, sorry about that. The Primary vault is your local vault you were syncing via Dropbox prior to signing up for the Families account. The Personal vault is the one connected to your Families account.

You can delete the Primary vault on iOS by following the steps below -

Open and unlock 1Password on your iOS device > Tap settings on the bottom tab > Tap Vaults > Tap on your Primary vault from the list then tap on the Delete Vault button. I hope this helps :+1:

• Frank
    Options

Hi @fabforrest - If you still have your Primary vault within 1Password, you will have to use your original Master Password since it's connected to your local Primary vault. Once your Primary vault has been deleted it will revert to the Master Password for the Families account. Sorry for the confusion and keep us posted if that helps :-)

• fabforrest
    fabforrest
    Community Member
    Options

rejecting that password, too.

• Frank
    Options

Hi fabforrest - Sorry for the trouble. To avoid sharing any private information, I just sent you over an email so we can work on this together. When you get a chance reply back to me over there so we can continue the conversation. Talk you soon :-)

ref: LYH-23272-116

• BBabaa
    BBabaa
    Community Member
    Options

I too do not understand the Personal vs Primary. I have a lot in my primary, but nothing in Personal. When I try to move things in Primary to personal I can, but in Personal I cannot create the folders like in the Primary? Why? Why can folders only exist in the Primary? Seems like a loss of organization when moving to Personal? Please clarify.

• Frank
    edited July 2017
    Options

Hi @BBabaa - Thank you for asking :smile: Your Primary vault is the one you originally started with and you're most likely using iCloud or Dropbox as a sync source. Your new shiny Personal vault is the one connected to your 1Password.com account. When you create a new item or move your existing data over to your Personal vault, the data will auto-sync across your devices (as long as you're signed into the account) and via the web. We take care of all the syncing and backups on our end so you no longer have to manage this.

With a 1Password membership we replaced folders with Tags. You can add tags to any item making it easier to find when searching for it via the apps. Another way to organize your data is to create multiple vaults to better manage things a bit more. For example, I have a "work" vault and anything pertaining to work lives in this vault separating this from my personal items.

I hope this helped clarify things a little more. Feel free to let us know if you have any additional questions. We'll be here to help :+1: Have a great weekend and thank you for stopping by.

• DoctorDan
    DoctorDan
    Community Member
    Options

No, I'm still totally confused. I upgraded from 4 to 6. Now I have 788 entries in Primary and 801 entries in Personal. Until now I had "all vaults" checked and was seeing 1589 items. I deleted all the ones marked "imported" and then I had 0 entries so I restored from trash and got the 1589 items back. I have not idea what to next, where new entries will go and what to do with 2 vaults that are essentially not in sync.

Help would be appreciated.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DoctorDan: It sounds like you may be referring to an previous conversation you've already been having. Please point me in the right direction if that's the case. Unfortunately I don't have any way of knowing what you're trying to do based on this conversation.

The Primary vault is a local vault which is not associated with your 1Password.com account. The Personal vault is part of your 1Password.com account. These vaults will not sync and are completely unrelated.

If you'd like to use a 1Password.com account going forward, the best thing to do would be to make sure you have all of your data in the Personal vault. If you don't already, copy anything that is missing over from the Primary vault.

If you'd like to use 1Password as a standalone app with the local vault, copy any data that is missing there back from your Personal vault.

In either case, if you'll let us know what you're trying to accomplish, we can walk you through getting things setup the way you want. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• DoctorDan
    DoctorDan
    Community Member
    Options

It's been behaving normally for the past three days. I'll keep an eye out for problems. Thanks

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @DoctorDan. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.