Hi. Can I access my 1Password info by signing into Dropbox from a friend's computer?

justigoo
justigoo
Community Member

A year ago I made an enquiry about trying to access my 1Password info whilst abroad, using a friend's Mac.

I don't have a laptop, nor a mobile, just a desktop iMac here at home. (Haven't got the whole technology on the move thing going on yet, still old-school).

So when abroad I tend to use my partner's or friends' devices occasionally, and it's nice to be able to log into some of my frequented sites.

In the past I have manually written down all useful passwords and log-in info into a small booklet which I take with me, but I tend to update passwords from time to time and it's quite a labour intensive method.

I was advised by the 1Password team that syncing 1Password with Dropbox was a way forward and I did this successfully. (I cannot get my head around the whole iCloud concept).

Will this method still work? I have recently read something about Dropbox only allowing two named devices to be synced with 1Password, or am I muddling syncing and just logging in?

Can I log into 1Password in Dropbox from any external device? I'd like to be able to access my info when I need to from whatever device is at hand.

Perhaps this is ridiculously naive/unsafe practice?

There is a new function called 'Families' which may be relevant I gather? I don't really know how it functions and I'm not, as yet, a family, just a single man somewhat perplexed by the complexity of the technology which tries to make life easier! Particularly regarding 1Password!

Any info gratefully received, many thanks!

Sunny smiles,

Justin.

:-)

1Password Version: 6.6.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS Sierra 10.12.3
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Can I access my 1Password by signing into Dropbox (they're sync-ed) from a friend's computer?

Comments

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2017

Hi @justigoo - Thanks for reaching out to us. Having your login data with you on the go is always a fascinating topic, even more so when - as in your case - no mobile device is involved. :)

The easiest way to access your data would probably be to sign up for a 1Password subscription as it offers a way to access your data from a browser. It also offers some other great benefits, but for the purpose of your question web access is probably the killer feature.

A subscription comes with an account that you can sign in to using a browser. You mentioned the Family plan, and yes it's one option. But as you're currently using 1Password on your own, an Individual Plan would probably be the better choice. No worries, as your family grows, you'll be able to upgrade the Individual account to a Family account.

As far as Dropbox is concerned, I'm not familiar with the newer restrictions they have, as I don't use Dropbox personally. If you want information in that regard, I'd advise you to contact Dropbox directly. While in theory you could install Dropbox and 1Password on your friends' devices, I feel it's quite a hassle. You'd need to set up your own local user account on the machine (otherwise you'd mess with their Dropbox setup), install Dropbox and 1Password, set up sync in 1Password... That's a lot to just access your favorite websites, especially considering that you'd probably have to do it all over again once you move to another friend's house and computer.

• justigoo
    justigoo
    Community Member

Hey Roman, thanks for all that, much appreciated! It seems there's a free trial of a 1Password subscription, so you can get to grips with it and see if it's the right thing for you, just wondering how long it lasts? The info is not readily apparent. Thanks, Justin.

• Hi @justigoo - If you decide to give our new 1Password.com accounts a try, we include a 30 day free trial giving you an opportunity to test drive all the features before making a decision. Let us know if you have any questions and we'll be happy to help out. Enjoy the rest of your day!

• justigoo
    justigoo
    Community Member

Awesome, thanks Frank! :-)

• You're very welcome. We're always happy to help out and keep us posted if you have any further questions :-)

• justigoo
    justigoo
    Community Member

Hello again, I have a knock-on question, relating to this topic. Am hoping you can help.

In Jan 2016, following some very complicated advice from you guys, (well it seemed complicated to me), I synced 1Password to my Dropbox account, which somehow enabled me to sign in to my Dropbox account from anywhere abroad and find my passwords. It was a useful service.

I have recently signed up for your Dropbox Individual subscription which enables me to sign in to Dropbox online using a Master Key and a password. A similar but different service.

I haven't touched the 1Password folder in my Dropbox for a while but out of curiosity, to see what's there, I went into it. This folder leads me to 1Password.agilekeychain, which then leads me to three separate entities, something which looks like a note called 1Password.html, and two folders, one called 'a' and one called 'data', both of which contain long indecipherable codes followed by '.1password, (none of which can be 'previewed' apparently).

I can't quite remember how I accessed my 1Password data last year from Dropbox but I seem to remember seeing a vault graphic and unlocking the door using the same password which I use to sign in when I click on the 1Password logo top right on the desktop of my Mac here at home.

Has the sync capability with Dropbox been dropped?

Am I forgetting something?

Should I go to 1Password.com and try to sign in?

I can't even remember how 1Password & Dropbox were linked, are they still linked? How do I use them together?

Or shall I just continue with my new subscription (currently on day 29 of a 30 day trial) and cancel the Dropbox link/sync? If so, how do I go about doing this?

Apologies for being a bit of a computer klutz, but I find some of this hard to get my head around....! I'm sure I'm not alone!

Many thanks,

Justin.

• Hi @justigoo,

Let me see if I can clear this up for you.

A 1Password.com membership is (in part) a replacement for Dropbox Sync. With a 1Password.com membership all your 1Password items will automatically sync to our 1Password client applications on all the supported platforms (iOS, Mac, Windows, Android).

The membership also provides access to the latest version of 1Password for the supported platforms, Web access (with Edit capabilities) to your 1Password vault, and automatic backup of your 1Password vault. We think it's the very best way to use 1Password.

Now on to your Dropbox question. When you sync 1Password with Dropbox (which you don't need to do if you have a 1Password.com membership) we store some files in the 1Password folder you found. We used to have a feature called 1Password Anywhere which allowed you read-only access to your 1Password vault via the Dropbox.com website but that feature is no-longer accessible:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/63045/moving-beyond-1passwordanywhere

So while you can no-longer access your 1Password vault from Dropbox.com, that functionality (and more) is available through a 1Password.com subscription.

We highly recommend a 1Password.com membership when customers need to sync their 1Password vaults because we think its the easiest and safest way to use 1Password on multiple devices.

Let us know if you need help migrating to a 1Password.com membership and we'll be delighted to walk you through it.

Have a great day,

– Andrew

• justigoo
    justigoo
    Community Member

Hey Andrew, thank you for that, much appreciated.

I have already signed up for a 30 day trial with the 1Password.com membership, have managed to fulfil all the necessary steps to set up my account, and will no doubt pay up as a fully fledged member at the end of this period.

I currently don't have any devices to link up/sync up, I'm one of the few people in the world w/o a mobile/smart phone, so a lot of the membership functions are superfluous to me at present, however I anticipate that I will need to change this situation soon and these functions will come into use in the future.

Now that you tell me I can no longer access 1Password from Dropbox, (I sorted out this sync post-1Password Anywhere following advice from your colleagues on this forum and the Dropbox 1Password vault access worked fine a year ago the last time I used it), shall I just delete the 1Password folder that still sits in my Dropbox? Is there anything else I need to check/uncheck/delete in order to clean the slate with dismantling this Dropbox/1Password folder?

Nearly there!

Thanks for your assistance, your patience with me and have a great day!

Justin.

• Hi @justigoo,

Before we proceed with clearing out your Dropbox 1Password folder, I'm going to take a peek under the hood to make sure there's nothing we have to do prior to that.

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you clearing out your Dropbox 1Password data. Thanks very much!

• justigoo
    justigoo
    Community Member

Hi Andrew,

Many thanks for your reply.

I have done as you have requested and sent you my 1Password diagnostics report to 'support+forum@agilebits.com'.

My Support ID #: KKQ-64813-276.

I leave from the ease & security of this Mac to go off on my travels on Sunday, so if we can sort everything in the next day or two I'd be most grateful.

Many thanks for all your assistance, much appreciated!

Sunny smiles from the SW of Cornwall, UK.

Justin.

• Hi @justigoo,

Great thanks, I'll take a look and get back to you.

This discussion has been closed.