1Password 6 Version 6.3.3 (633001) randomly opens browser window. Annoying

Options
ryanmcguinness
ryanmcguinness
Community Member

I am running 1 password on Mac OSX 10.11.2 and firefox 48.0.1. When I wake up my computer and begin working in firefox and need to login to a website, I click on the 1password button at the top of the browser, and it will often (but not always) open a new browser window and go to the following website
https://agilebits.com/browsers/welcome.html.
Why do I need to be welcomed to 1Password multiple times a day? Why do I need to learn 1Password multiple times a day?
The program has been doing this since I updated to the latest version. I have rebooted my computer many times, and restarted firefox many times.
It's annoying to have to back out of the agilebits welcome webpage and go back to the log in page I was attempting to access in the first place. I love 1password, and it worked seamlessly and amazingly for so long. Now it's annoying. What can I do?

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.11.2
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:mac firefox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ryanmcguinness,

I'm sorry that page keeps opening when you try to use the 1Password extension in Firefox!

That sounds like something that happens if 1Password mini isn't running when you try to use the browser extension. The extension won't work unless mini is running, so in that case, the extension will try to launch 1Password mini and open that page.

Please open the main 1Password app, go to 1Password > Preferences in the menubar, then select the General tab. Make sure the option for Always keep 1Password Mini running is enabled. If that option was disabled, that explains why that window kept opening when you clicked on the 1Password extension.

If that doesn't help or if that option was already enabled, we'll continue from there. Let us know how it goes, thanks! :)

• ryanmcguinness
    ryanmcguinness
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew,
    Thanks for the reply. The box is checked for Always keep 1Password Mini running. What 's next?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ryanmcguinness: I think the first thing would be to update 1Password, Firefox, and the extension (and El Capitan too, though that may not apply directly), since you're a bit behind on those, and the restart your Mac. We've had a number of reports of issues with Firefox in particular due to it not updating properly. Please let me know what you find!

• ryanmcguinness
    ryanmcguinness
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty,
    I fiddled with things and solved the problem a few weeks ago, but I don't really know what the fix was. Now the issue is back. I'll do updates again and let you know what I find.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hopefully the updates help, but if not, just let us know and we'll be happy to continue helping you with this. :)

• ryanmcguinness
    ryanmcguinness
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew. I sort of gave up on trying to fix this problem. It randomly occurs and doesn't correlate well with updates of any sort. However, switching networks seems to cause the hangs, the inability to find the 1password mini and the opening of the Welcome Website. I like the mini feature in my browser, but may have to drop it. Thanks. -Ryan

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ryanmcguinness,

I'm sorry to hear you've continued to have such problems with the extension! To help us figure out what's going on, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and make sure you receive a reply as quickly as possible. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ryanmcguinness, in case you haven't sent in a diagnostics report yet, I wanted to let you know we just released an update for the browser extension - the latest version is now 4.6.3, and it might help to solve the problem. In Firefox, please go to Tools > Add-Ons and click More next to the 1Password extension to see the version. If it hasn't automatically updated to 4.6.3 yet, click the 'gear' icon at the top of that window and choose "Check for Updates". Once it installs available updates, you may need to close & reopen the Add-ons window to verify that 4.6.3 is now installed.

Please let us know how it goes and if that seems to solve the problem. Thanks! :)

• ryanmcguinness
    ryanmcguinness
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew. That last update has fixed all my problems. No more hangs and no more redirects to the Hi There! webpage. Thanks for all of your help!!

• rudy
    Options

@ryanmcguinness,

I'm glad @Drew_AG was able to help. Definitely let us know if you run into that again.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.