Can we get an overlay on Android like LastPass instead of the barebones keyboard?

digitalfiz
digitalfiz
Community Member

One of the great things about Android is its customizability and special keyboards is a big part of that. Right now in order to make 1password easily accessible when logging into things you have to use the 1password keyboard. it is a very barebones keyboard and provides none of the standard features even the built in Android keyboard provides. So it is a terrible option for a keyboard for most users.

I was going to suggest that you guys invest in making the keyboard better but then I figured why waste your time when many other already established keyboards exist. I think you guys should dump the keyboard and work on an overlay like LastPass provides. Its one of the things I miss most about it.

You could also work on plugins for keyboards that have them to extend the functionality already.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:android

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@digitalfiz: It's certainly something we can consider, but especially when integrating with 3rd party keyboards we need to tread lightly, since none of us want them capturing sensitive information, even if they promise not to do anything with it.

• digitalfiz
    digitalfiz
    Community Member

Yeah I got a little over excited about the 3rd party integration. But done correctly should be fine especially if its just something that just invokes a 1password overlay or something.

Of course I am perfectly fine with just an overlay :P

• Thanks for the suggestion, @digitalfiz. You may be excited to read that we do have plans to revisit filling soon. Let us know if you need anything else!

• chrisonline
    chrisonline
    Community Member

Is there any timeframe?
    I love 1Password but I hate the autofill on Android.

I am currently switched to Lastpass because of this great autofill experience on Android.

Please, add such feature so I can come back to 1Password!

The existing keyboard solution is weird and not good.
    I need to switch hundred times to another keyboard.

• Thanks for the feedback, @chrisonline. I'll add your vote for this feature!

• chrisonline
    chrisonline
    Community Member

Hi @peri !

Is there any timeframe for this?
    Are you already working on this or is it only written on a paper?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@chrisonline: We don't generally use paper, or announce features before they're ready to ship (at least as a public beta). ;)

The only thing I can say is that we have a few different approaches we're exploring to make filling more convenient on Android, and if you participate in the beta you'll always be among the first to get new features. Cheers! :)

• chrisonline
    chrisonline
    Community Member
    edited March 2017

@brenty I am already on the beta channel, but because of the really bad way using a own keyboard to enter the credentials I am moved to LastPass.

They have a really cool overlay who is shown if a user or password field is detected.
    So I don't need to switch a keyboard.

But I like the whole experience of 1Password a lot more, besides the Android keyboard thing.
    So I am hoping I can switch back to 1Password once the Android keyboard is moved away ;-)

And in 1 Week I have to decide whetever I pay for Lastpass or 1Password.
    So I wanted to know any timeframe like "this quarter", or "second quarter" or not this year.

Afterwards I can decide to which company I throw my money ;-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@chrisonline: I wish we had something exciting to offer you today, but if we're talking a week time frame you should absolutely use the tool that you prefer today. I hope you'll keep the beta around to see what we do with filling in 1Password in the future, but it isn't going to be that near-term, and I can't tell you a time frame since nothing is certain until we have a public build — at which point you'd already know because you'd be able to get it anyway. I'm sorry I don't have anything more definitive to tell you.

This discussion has been closed.