1Password 6.4 support for editing Dropbox vaults [Full support for 1Password.com accounts only]

Matty279
Matty279
Community Member
edited March 2017 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I am currently using 1Password v4.6.1.617 on Windows syncing with a Dropbox vault.

Does the new 1Password v6.4 support editing of Dropbox vaults on Windows?

1Password Version: 4
Extension Version: 6.1.617
OS Version: Windows 10 Professional
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• John Ping
    John Ping
    Community Member

Yes, my question as well. That is the only thing keeping me on the old version.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hello @Matty279 and @John Ping,

1Password 6.4 for Windows does not bring the full support for local vaults. We are focused on our 1Password accounts at the moment and encourage you to try them out.

The security of 1Password accounts and the support of local vaults are discussed extensively already, so if you are interested in getting more info about it, please read these replies from Alex and Mike in a different thread.

I hope it helps. Should you have any other questions about 1Password on Windows, we are always here for you. Thank you!

Cheers,

Greg

• aeriden
    aeriden
    Community Member
    edited March 2017

1Password 6.3 for Windows (I haven't seen anything that changes this for 6.4 once released) doesn't allow editing of Dropbox-based sync. Major disappointment. In addition, 1Password 6 doesn't support Internet Explorer Integration. This makes it useless for many (if not most) businesses since many use Internet Explorer (especially enterprises). Edge integration doesn't exist (it should after the next major Windows 10 release). When it does, it will only work on that version of Windows 10. Edge doesn't exist on Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 2012, 2012R2, or even 2016. And, 1Password 4 for Windows is extremely slow with a lot of items (hoops can be jumped to make it more managable, but this eliminates the efficiency a modern password manager (e.g. highlight a smaller list so when it opens it doesn't have to decrypt as many items up front - they should have fixed this in 1Password 4 with some multi-threading?) should bring in this day and age. Effectively, 1Password 6 for Windows is no longer a workable solution because of the lack of Dropbox support (unlike 1Password 6 for Mac and iOS) and lack of Internet Explorer integration. It appears it is time to move away from 1Password, especially for me as it no longer meets critical needs that were available when first purchased for Windows, Mac, and iOS. I am just an independent IT consultant who has been caught off guard. Starting to research other solutions as I believe I (and others) have been patient enough for last 2 years.

• aeriden
    aeriden
    Community Member

1Password 6.3 (as well as the upcoming 6.4) for Windows doesn't allow editing of Dropbox-based vaults. Major disappointment. In addition, 1Password 6 doesn't support Internet Explorer Integration. This makes it useless for many (if not most) businesses since many use Internet Explorer (especially enterprises). Edge integration doesn't exist (it should after the next major Windows 10 release). When it does, it will only work on that version of Windows 10. Edge doesn't exist on Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 2012, 2012R2, or even 2016. And, 1Password 4 for Windows is extremely slow with a lot of items (hoops can be jumped to make it more managable, but this eliminates the efficiency a modern password manager (e.g. highlight a smaller list so when it opens it doesn't have to decrypt as many items up front - they should have fixed this in 1Password 4 with some multi-threading?) should bring in this day and age. Effectively, 1Password 6 for Windows is no longer a workable solution because of the lack of Dropbox support (unlike 1Password 6 for Mac and iOS) and lack of Internet Explorer integration. It appears it is time to move away from 1Password, especially for me as it no longer meets critical needs that were available when first purchased for Windows, Mac, and iOS. I am just an independent IT consultant who has been caught off guard. Starting to research other solutions as I believe I (and others) have been patient enough for last 2 years.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know that you'd prefer to use Internet Explorer and local vaults! We don't currently have plans to support IE with the new app, as it is no longer being developed. And while Edge isn't available with 1Password yet or at all to users on older versions of Windows, fortunately there are many free browser alternatives which are still under active development. I'm sorry if you feel you've been caught off guard by the new app, but 1Password 4 at least will continue to work for you as it always has.

• Matty279
    Matty279
    Community Member
    edited March 2017

Is the decision to not support editing of local vaults with 1Password 6.x on Windows purely a commercial decision designed to steer users towards taking up a 1Password monthly subscription? Is there a plan to support this feature in a subsequent version of 1Password or is there a definite plan to not support it? The answer to this might help some users to make an informed choice as to whether now is the right time to move away from 1Password and seek an alternative product which is more in alignment with their requirements for a password manager.

• John Ping
    John Ping
    Community Member

@Matty279 , they've stated before that their first concern was getting 1Password account holders a Windows client that supports the 1Password account system.

@Greg I understand, but is editing of Dropbox vaults anywhere on the roadmap? I thought that this page was the right one to see ongoing patch notes; it's been throwing a 503 for a while now: https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPW

• Matty279
    Matty279
    Community Member

@John Ping , I understand that their first concern is to support a Windows client for 1Password subscription holders but it is unclear as to whether supporting local vaults is a concern at all. Are we still going to be hearing this time next year that local vault support might be supported sometime in the future?

• John Ping
    John Ping
    Community Member

@Matty279 Agreed! I rely on a few vaults that don't translate cleanly into a 1Password account. (Which I basically signed up for because I like the early adopter otter.)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Matty279, @John Ping: Local vaults is something we'd been working on adding to 1Password 6, but we've had to set that aside for the time being as there are other features which need to take priority.

You can find the release notes for 1Password 4 here:

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPW4

And, for the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app, here:

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPW6

• aeriden
    aeriden
    Community Member

I also agree that knowing whether 1Password support for Dropbox is key so people can make informed choices in their product selection or continued use in the present/future. I haven't yet seen anything that states 1Password 6 for Windows won't ever support Dropbox (and if it will support, when can we expect?). Dropbox support was a key selling point when I made the selection and I expect I am not alone. We are already setup and working (in my case, with Windows, iOS, and Mac). This has definitely been disruptive as there are problems with 1Password 4 (performance, UI, etc.).

While 1Password 4 for Windows supports IE and Dropbox, it doesn't appear to support 1Password Accounts. 1Password 6 for Windows doesn't fully support Dropbox and IE but supports 1Password Accounts. Alas, it makes it tricky in my mind at this point.

Ironic that 1Password has a business subscription when so many use IE internally still (a lot of legacy apps out there). These applications often don't support modern browsers. Maybe not very many subscriptions sold by 1Password to make it an issue.

Extra ironic? IE11 is used within 1Password 6 to apply for beta access with HockeyApp. Had to take a screen shot of that one. :-)

The good news (from what I can tell right now as I evaluate), while Dashlane and LastPass support IE, 1Password 6 still has a lot of nice features for those interested compared to Dashlane and LastPass. This includes custom fields (LastPass weakly supports, but not in mobile), multiple vaults (Dashlane doesn't appear to support), and multiple URLs (Dashlane doesn't appear to support this). 1Password has a family subscription. Dashlane has a nice emergency feature and supports the concept of sharing (and at two levels) so multiple vaults not needed.

• John Ping
    John Ping
    Community Member

@brenty Thanks for the updated release notes page! I'll keep an eye on that for updates.

• Hi guys,

@John Ping,

On behalf of Brenty, you're welcome.

@aeriden,

If we will not be supporting local vaults, we will make an announcement to that effect. For now, 1Password 6 for Windows is for 1Password memberships only, there is no local vault support nor will 1Password 6 support IE. 1Password 6 on other platforms do support both and we do change plans, so anything is possible.

Ironic that 1Password has a business subscription when so many use IE internally still (a lot of legacy apps out there)

For now, this doesn't make the top requested features among our business users.

1Password.com web app cannot be used in IE either, it does not have any of the security APIs we need to support the security features. IE simply does not have the modern nor the crypto technologies we need to enable support for the web app or for a complete 1Password extension for it. We will not degrade our security or experience for the sake of supporting IE, even if it means we won't get more users because lack of IE support.

We are working with Microsoft's teams to enable 1Password extension for the Microsoft Edge browser and Microsoft is only focused on updating Edge from now on, IE will be phased out.

Extra ironic? IE11 is used within 1Password 6 to apply for beta access with HockeyApp. Had to take a screen shot of that one. :-)

We don't use IE at all in our app, you're seeing a web view being rendered by Windows because you've clicked on a web link that was supposed to take you to an external browser. We've fixed that issue in 1Password 6.4 update coming tomorrow.

• aeriden
    aeriden
    Community Member

@MikeT, thanks for the clarifications and information. Your responses have been helpful for future planning.

• You're welcome.

• John Ping
    John Ping
    Community Member

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I just noticed the bit about local vaults not being worked on at this time. is local vault support on the plan for 2017, or is it sidelined indefinitely?

• Hi @John Ping,

It is on hold at the moment but we don't know for how long. We will share more soon.

• snm77
    snm77
    Community Member

I am a business user. We have several people who already had 1password vaults that are pissed as HELL at having to load and use version 6 in order to access the Teams vault. This IS the #1 request of people I work with. Having to load 6 and 4 on the same system leads to all kinds of strange issues. We are looking for editable legacy 1password vaults sooner, not later. And I mean OPVault, none of us are running agilekeychain. Not asking to go that far back in time :) Thanks for your time.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know what would work better in your case!

• Hi @snm77,

1Password 4 and 6 can co-exist as long as you follow the guide here to disable 1Password 4's Helper from running.

I'd encourage you or ask your team owner to reach out to us using the 1Password Teams support address, so we can look into your use case to see if we can come up with a better solution sooner.

• Matty279
    Matty279
    Community Member

Thanks Mike that sounds potentially like an acceptable solution for local vaults if 1Password versions 4 and 6 can be run in parallel. v6 can be used with the browser extension and v4 with the main console for editing. If this is implemented, I assume that each version has its own separate browser extension and if the v6 browser extension were used that auto saving of logins would be disabled. Can both browser extensions be run in parallel each with a separate distinguishable browser icon such that the v4 extension can be invoked when auto saving of new logins or updating of existing logins is required?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2017

Hello @Matty279,

The thing is that there is only one 1Password browser extension for both versions of 1Password for Windows. The guide Mike mentions above explains how you can switch its connection between 1Password 4 and 1Password 6. Only one version can be connected to the browser extension at a time.

I hope it answers your question. If my answer is off the mark here, please let me know. :) Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• Matty279
    Matty279
    Community Member

I see. It's a little bit fiddly to temporarily toggle the browser extension back to 1Password 4 for auto saving logins but it is workable. Alternatively the main 1Password 4 console can be opened for manually updating logins or registering new ones.

• If this works for you, @Matty279, we're glad.
    It's not a pretty solution but the only way 1Password 4 and 6 can coexist at the moment.

Cheers!

• Matty279
    Matty279
    Community Member

I have noticed that if I add new logins to my Dropbox vault using v4, they do not propagate to v6 until I manually perform a sync. Is v6 running a local copy of my Dropbox vault? Is there a way to get v6 to auto-sync directly with my Dropbox vault?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Matty279: No. 1Password 6 does not support local vaults, or syncing them. It would be best to simply use 1Password 4 when you need to work with those.

• spencerogden
    spencerogden
    Community Member

Throwing in another vote for local vault support. I've bought multiple versions of 1Password and run it on windows and mac, having that bit of control in a corporate environment to use a dropbox synced vault is a much needed feature. Thanks - Spencer

• John Ping
    John Ping
    Community Member

They announced in the blog post about 6.7 that, for the Windows version, 1Password 7 will include local vault support:
    https://blog.agilebits.com/2017/08/01/1password-6-7-for-windows-a-feature-buffet/

I'm looking forward to it!

• MikeT
    edited September 2017

Yep, thanks for posting that in here, John.

We're hard at work on the next update, 1Password 6.8 with a lot of nice features (including the recent Edge support) but we're also working on local vaults that will go into 1Password 7.

• Matty279
    Matty279
    Community Member

What is the ETA on 1Password 7?

This discussion has been closed.