You won, I gave in

prime
prime
Community Member

I saw on Facebook the deal where it's 10 family members and 2GB of storage, so I signed up for the trial. I know I will have so many questions, so be ready. I did this on the fly too, just before going to bed hahaha.

I am using the free trial for now to see how I like it. I do see $3.99 for this and I thought it was $4.99 month?

More questions to come.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Prime - Congrats on the new 1Password Families account. 1Password Families is priced at $4.99 per month when billed annually or $6.99 per month. You have the option of choosing a billing cycle that works best for you. If you choose an annual billing cycle, you will save a little more money over the course of the year. Let us know if you have any further questions. Have a great day!

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

Thanks @Frank
    This is what I see, I hope I picked the right one

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

Ok, I'm confused. Last night I did everything drom my iPad. I saw this link:
    https://support.1password.com/1password-setup/
    And I never did this stuff. So I tried to log knit my account and I have no idea what my account key is.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2017

Hey, @prime! I just replied to your email, so you can look for that in your inbox as well. :)

To answer your question, on the screenshot you posted just above, you can tap Reveal Account Key. If you don't remember how to get there:

1. Open and unlock 1Password on your iPhone.
    2. Tap Settings > 1Password Accounts, then tap the name of your account.
    3. Tap Reveal Account Key.

Of course, the best thing to do is install the app and sign in by scanning the Account Code. Just tap View Account Code on that same screen, and you'll see a code you can scan from the 1Password app on your iPad.

ref: CCM-88534-681

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited February 2017

@khad I got that figured out. Now do i have to subscribe while that deal is going on to get it?

So my thoughts so far...
    If someone got my computer, they can probably get the account key from the browser. I honestly would feel safer with 2 step authentication.

That's it so far

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@prime,

Glad you got that sorted! :+1:

You're correct that you need to subscribe while the deal is going on to get the special price.

You're also correct that since the Account Key is stored on your devices, someone with physical access to your machine may be able to retrieve it. However, that requires physical access to your machine. With physical access to your machine, there are a bunch of other attacks that are possible as well. The Account Key is never transmitted over the network.

Two-factor authentication is a smart way to hedge against bad passwords, but it's not enough to guarantee the safety of your information. You want to make sure you're using a password manager with true end-to-end encryption and no access to your secret keys. 1Password is the first and only password manager to offer Two-Secret Key Derivation. Your Master Password — which only you know — is combined with that completely unguessable secret (your Account Key) that lives only on your devices. Two-Secret Key Derivation is exponentially stronger than a Master Password alone, and it's cryptographically enforced. That means it can't be reset, intercepted, or evaded like traditional two-factor authentication.

I'm pretty sure I shared this with you before, but just in case I didn't (or if you want a refresher):

About the Account Key

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@khad I just gave you $60 :p
    I read someplace that I can cancel and get a refund. So I read thay link and I probably will again. BUT you guys can almost make the 2SA into the app itself (so no phone numbers needed), almost like how iCloud has it now on the iPhone.

I like to know you guys know what you're doing, but people now believe (as I do) 2SA is the way to go. Preception is everything.

Thanks for the video, I'll look at that video tomorrow. I still can't believe I just went against everything I believe (my info on you servers) and did this.

Thank again!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@prime,

I know you'll love it, but you can definitely cancel if you need to. :)

Have a great rest of your night!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@prime: Indeed, and I just wanted to jump in to add a few things:

Just in case you weren't sure, even though you're subscribing now, you won't be charged until your free trial finishes.

And while I know what you mean about perception, we really don't want to add "security features" that only superficially offer a benefit. I know that's not what you're suggesting, but if we focus on perception too much it might be tempting. making it accessible matters too. I think the "iCloud style" multifactor authentication is really cool and accessible, but we also want to make sure that anything like that we add is secure, reliable, and easy to understand/use. Every multifactor authentication system I've used has issues in one or more of these areas, and we want to make sure that we keep 1Password users secure without making accessing their data onerous. Data availability is an important aspect of data security, after all.

Anyway, we're here if you have any questions at all. Cheers! :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

So far I am having fun with this. Now the one thing that is ANNOYING me to no end is the "Quests to Conquer". It wants me to create a vault and I have zero reasons too. Due to no vault, it's not green and it's just ANNOYING me. I even made a vault to make it green, and deleted it. It doesn't work that way. This will drive my OCD up the wall!!!!

• SoftAllan
    SoftAllan
    Community Member

@prime A vault is where you keep all your items in. As far as I know you cant make any items outside that. Are you only using a shared vault?

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited March 2017

@SoftAllan Oh I know. I have a personal one set up. The system wants me to make another one and I have zero need for 2 vaults.

• SoftAllan
    SoftAllan
    Community Member

@prime Ah okay. Forgot about that :) And I see that. It would be a good feature if you could mark one Quest as "Done" and get rid of it.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@SoftAllan yup! I would love if I could just mark it done.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2017

@prime: lol sorry about that! While I'm not personally in a position to function with a single vault, I can see how that would drive me nuts too if I was, having that item not completed. I do, however, create many test accounts...and it takes all of my resolve to not complete the quests there, even though I know irrational that is. :lol:

We definitely want to revisit the quest system in the future, but for now my best suggestion is to create a new vault and delete it; that way you'll at least clear it and be able to go back to a single vault. Again, I apologize for the hassle there, but we wanted to make sure that new 1Password users know that it's possible to create multiple vaults, and how to do so. Thanks for the feedback on this! :blush:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited March 2017

@brenty, The old way my wife and I used Dropbox to sync. Both vaults shared a Dropbox and we just had our vaults to our devices. Now we have 1 computer that had both vaults synced too. Am I able to do this still since we are 2 separate users are the 1Password for families? I haven't tried anything yet, but I just thought of this.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@prime: Oh, dude. Yes! This is why 1Password Families exists! So glad you asked. :sunglasses:

For example, you'll each have your own Personal vault, but it's handy (and incredibly easy) to create a vault that is shared with any of your 1Password Families members. If you set this up, she won't have to do anything; it will automatically show up on her devices right off the bat (and vice versa).

On 1Password.com, just click the ( + ) to create a new vault, and then after you've done so, click the Edit "pencil" button and select the family members you want to share it with.

Create and share a vault

And since you just created one for that purpose, that should also knock that item of your quest to-do list. ;)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited March 2017

@brenty I'll give this a shot this weekend. We didn't share a vault, it was both of our vaults synced to that 1Password app on the computer. Now my wife did have to know my master password to get into it because I was the primary person.

Thanks!

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of @brenty (who's sleeping), you're welcome @prime! Another advantage of Families accounts - everyone gets their own separate log in details, no more sharing a master password! :chuffed:

Let us know how you get on!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Gotcha! Yeah, I used to do the same and though some folks felt that sharing a Master Password for a shared vault was onerous, it never felt that way to me...but now that we can choose our own I definitely prefer that. Cheers! :) :+1:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

So I made a vault for work. It says that any family organizer can also see this vault, and can add it to theirs? Can I made a vault that no one can see?

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni

@prime To make things easier for most of our customers, Families accounts have a simplified vault permissions setup, compared to say Teams Standard or especially Teams Pro. A "Family Organizer" is essentially an account owner, and can perform all administrative duties for an account. This includes managing access to vaults, so in theory, any family organiser can view the contents of any non-Personal vaults if they wish.

There are two ways you could go about protecting your work items. The best way would be to keep them in your own Personal vault, as Personal vaults are private to each member, and cannot be accessed by anyone else (not even Family Organizers). You can then tag your work-related items with, for example, a "Work" tag; you can then use our tags feature to quickly filter the items in your Personal vault to just your work related items.

Another way, although this is more of a deterrent than anything else, is You can also just not add other people to any custom vaults you create. Family Organizers can still go into the Admin console and specifically give themselves access to a vault, but until they do, the vault in question won't show up on their dashboard, and won't appear on their devices.

Teams Standard accounts have three levels of membership groups (Team Members, Administrators and Owners), and those can be used for more flexible permissions filtering. Teams Pro accounts allow you to create as many custom groups as you wish, and you can freely assign access rights and permissions to them as you see fit. If you think these features might be useful, a Families account can be upgraded to Teams Standard or Teams Pro at any time.

I hope that helps! :chuffed:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@john_m Well that sucks. I was hopping that other people could make their own vaults too (assuming they can't, because they are just regular users without admin access). I had all my work stuff tagged "work" in my personal vault, and figured it might be easier to separate them.

• Sorry @Prime for not having a better answer for your use case at the moment. I actually do the same thing... All my work related items have a "work" tag associated to each item so I can search and find them easier. We appreciate the feedback and for letting us know it's a feature you would like to see implemented in the future. :+1:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited March 2017

@Frank I hope hey do something. Because now that I have a work vault, I wish I did this earlier, it's making life easier. But now I feel like I am losing a feature going to the subscription. I can use Dropbox for a 2nd vault, but I feel like I am defending the purpose of having a subscription model now.

• Have you considered trying out John's suggestion? He made a good point -

Another way, although this is more of a deterrent than anything else, is You can also just not add other people to any custom vaults you create. Family Organizers can still go into the Admin console and specifically give themselves access to a vault, but until they do, the vault in question won't show up on their dashboard, and won't appear on their devices.

Sorry for not having a better answer here and we appreciate the constructive feedback. :+1:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

Thanks @Frank, I just figured the subscription should be able to do everything that the standalone does at least.

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni

@prime I understand; the Families service is a balance between complexity of features, and ease of use for the majority of our customers.

The standalone 1Password app by necessity as a monolithic thing was designed to meet the needs of all of our customers, regular and advanced alike. With our subscription service, we're now able to offer tailored services to meet the needs of all our customers in a more sensible way. Families customers get all of the great features and protection of 1Password, without having to deal with the complexity of more involved permissions and access management. Those customers that have a need for more advanced features can take advantage of our Teams offerings, the most advanced version of 1Password ever.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2017

@prime: You bring up a really interesting perspective I hadn't considered. For most folks, not having that kind of account/vault granularity is a feature...but having a few Dropbox vaults myself still, I can definitely see where you're coming from. Admittedly though, had I started out with 1Password.com, I don't think I'd be doing things this way at all, so it's more of a concession I'm making to my "legacy" use of 1Password. Perhaps that applies to you as well as a long-time user. I think it's really helpful to get this kind of feedback because as great as 1Password.com is, there's plenty of room for improvement. Thank you! :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited March 2017

@brenty, it's funny because I actually have other vaults in my Dropbox that I never connected to 1Password when I got my iPhone 7... I kind of forgot about them hahaha. At one point I had 3 vaults and had an issue where you guys helped me fix it. The one vault is old accounts I never use, but still wanted to keep track of the info. I never thought about a work one until now, my work stuff is really building up.

I hope you guys bring this feature to 1 password families. It's the one thing in my mind about this, and not sure it is a selling point for me or not.

I know I was (maybe still am) against having my data on someone's servers. How 1Password was set up with how I can control how my data was synced was a selling point to me. What actually made me feel a little better about this idea was seeing this on Facebook this morning:
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/1password-bug-bounty-100k/?utm_content=buffer31628&utm_medium=socialm&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=DT-FB

This discussion has been closed.